NHL 08-09 season

Greetings fellow hockey fans! Another season is upon us and I can’t wait!

As usual, I hope there’s enough puckheads around to talk a bit of hockey now and then. The last two year’s threads have been pretty lively, so hopefully the trend continues.

Any earlier predictions? Will Detroit repeat as champs? Who will be the league MVP? Who’s going to be the first coach to get canned?

As a die-hard Islanders fan, I am not giving up on my team, but I certainly don’t have high expectations this season as the team is very much in re-building mode. :s
But, it’s a long season, and anything can happen!

Training camps are getting underway and the first of the pre-season games are just a week or so away.

DROP THE PUCK!

On another note, if anyone is interested in playing some fantasy hockey this fall, drop by T-Ho! and check out the thread about the coming fantasy season, or send me a PM for details, etc.

You know I’m in for the fantasy draft.
Let’s try to make sure everyone who signs up actually plays this year.

Indeed. 14 managers would be great too. Spread the word.

I read a rumor today on the net that said Brendan Shanahan was going to sign with the Habs, to close out his career while celebrating their 100th anniversary, and hopefully a fairly decent chance to win a Cup in La belle province. I’d be happier with him there than in Manhattan playing for the fucking Rags. At least in Montreal I could cheer for him again.

sjcma, you around these days? What do you think about your beloved Sens heading into the 08-09 season? They look a bit different this year. I don’t know if it’s better or not, but it is different.

Different and depleted. Problems remain at the blue line. I don’t envision a great season.

I do see the Leafs have greatly upgraded their team by ridding themselves of McCabe. Hopefully, own-goals are a thing of the past. :smiling_imp:

They still have Spezza, Heatley and the ageless Alfie, but after that it looks might ugly.

And freakin’ Alex Auld!
WTF were they thinking? :loco:

I think Chicago will be the huge breakthrough team this year.
Their fans deserve it.

Just a reminder to any fantasy hockey fans, we’ve got a league getting ready to go over at Taiwan Ho! and still have room for a few more managers. The thread with the info and managers signed up so far is here.

Any questions, please feel free to send me a PM anytime.

I will just be happy to bring the cup home to Canada. Best chance for that would have to be Montreal or Calgary.

cough Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson.
Only the best line in the NHL.
Not on Montreal or Calgary.

cough Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson.
Only the best line in the NHL.
Not on Montreal or Calgary.[/quote]
I’d agree that Montreal or Calgary are good shots for Canada to get a Cup this season. But, I would also add Ottawa to that list. I heard that Afredsson was skating on the 2nd line this year though, nothing against him of course. Craig Hartsburg has different ideas I suppose. I’d split the 3 up as well.

I like what Calgary is doing, putting a seemingly revived Bertuzzi on the 1st line with Langkow and Iginla. If old Bert can find his way again, that might be the best line in the league. Kipper is due to rebound from a bad year too.

The Leafs? Ha. Vancouver takes a dip this year. And Edmonton, despite their fans thinking they might win their division, are a fringe playoff team and nothing more.

I’m not sure where this leaves hockey fans in Taiwan, but it is a step in the right direction regardless. Anyone know if ASN’s channel Yes TV is available here on any of the cable packages, or expanded cable box plans?

NHL ANNOUNCES ASIAN TELEVISION DEAL

[quote]NEW YORK - The NHL’s television audience is about to grow in an unlikely place.

The league announced Thursday that the Hong Kong-based All Sports Network (ASN) has signed a multi-year deal to obtain rights to show games throughout much of Asia, including India and China.

More than 130 regular-season games will be televised on ASN’s channel Yes TV along with the all-star game, playoffs, Stanley Cup final and NHL highlight programs.

‘‘We have been very impressed by ASN’s aggressive rollout plans and their commitment to a growing roster of sports programming,’’ said NHL senior vice-president Ken Yaffe. ‘‘Partnering with ASN represents a significant step in expanding our broadcast footprint internationally, and we are excited to begin offering our fans in Asia a comprehensive, season-long game schedule.’’

ASN has rights to broadcast the NHL via all forms of television, including HDTV.

‘‘The National Hockey League has great potential for development in Asia,’’ said Thomas Kressner, the CEO of Yes TV. ‘‘We are thrilled to be able to bring another big American sport to Asian sports fans.’’

The network will start showing games in South Korea during the second year of the deal. The deal does not include rights to Japan, Australia and New Zealand. [/quote]

5 hours 'till draft time!
Hope my computer stays on.
Yee-Haw!

Man, I’m seriously pining for the start of the season.

I read that the NHL wants to have as many as 10 teams (it’s 4 this year) start the season overseas for next year. There’s also been more serious rumblings about NHL Europe being a reality in 5-10 years. Also talk of 2 more expansion franchises.

Ballsillie has apparently been denied being able to purchase into the Nashville Predators again. That story just never seems to go away. I brushed it off previously, but I’m now beginning to think there is a very good chance Ontario will have another NHL franchise in the next 3-5 years, maybe sooner.

Go Hamilton!

Holy crap, have you guys seen THE Carey Price save?
It’s the save of the year, and it’s not even the year yet!

Game on!
The season opener is on live on channelsurfing.net!

I know, I know, it’s just one game. But Gerber sure looked like a sieve on some of those Pens goals.

:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

I went to bed at the end of the 2nd, happy that the Sens were winning, and when I woke up… :fume: