NHL 08-09 season

Redemption at the pads of Alex Auld! :discodance:

OK, OK, so it’s 2 games in. Let’s calm down…

Mer must be sad the Rags are undefeated.

[quote=“sjcma”]Redemption at the pads of Alex Auld! :discodance:

OK, OK, so it’s 2 games in. Let’s calm down…

Mer must be sad the Rags are undefeated.[/quote]
Could there be a goalie controversy brewing in Ottawa? :whistle:

And don’t you even joke about the Rags. I’m not too worried about them this year though. Zherdev, Naslund, and Redden are not amazing free agent replacements. They will miss Jagr at some point, Shanahan is still in limbo, Straka is gone, and love him or hate him, Sean Avery will be missed in NY as well.

So the new season started and it seems Vanek got a better start this year with 3 goals (including a shorthanded goal) in 2 games. Sorry about this destroying against the Islanders, but I feel with you as there is the other “NHL austrian” playing there now.
Seems he wasn’t bad either as far as you can say that in such a game for a defender. He made the assist to the Islanders goal and with a +1 he was the only Islander with a positive +/-. With the 3rd most ice time (22:25) from all of the islander players not catching a single goal against when he was on the ice is somehow impressive with that final score I guess.

Hey mingshah, how goes?

I had to go and check who on the Isles roster you were talking about. Pock! We snatched him from the Rangers. I wonder what it’s like for a player going from the Rangers to the Isles or vice-versa considering the hated and heated rivalry. I didn’t know he was Austrian.

Vanek looks to rebound from a sub-standard season last year. Do you think that huge contract he signed might have been a distraction? Buffalo looks pretty good so far this year. The Islanders? Well, it’s a work in progress. They won’t be as bad as everyone says, but I’m not expecting a whole lot of overall success this year myself either. It’s painful, but sometimes you have to rebuild.

Still alive, even now in busy and crowded Yonghe/Zhonghe.

Well Pöck actually was dropped by the Rangers as far as I heard. He was back in the farm team and thinking of going back to Austria. Than out of a sudden he got the offer from the islanders. Not sure how the fans of the two rivals see it. How about yourself, what you think of him?

Vanek had the big contract signed so lots of attention went on him right after having a great season. This plus the fact that the team was kind of torn appart with the two captains sold before last season for sure had some effects. Maybe also some thinking in the team, they seemed to be too sure they will make the playoffs anyways and than figuring out too late that they should do something about it too.
Anyway, its too early to say which way it will go this year, great start for him but the next is against the unbeaten Rangers (not that I have less respect for Islanders, just they have a 4-0 run this season so far… :wink:.

Not sure about the islanders, I think Pöck might be able to help them in the defense, he wasn’t bad in the games he got before, just different deal. If he can build up some confidence he might be helping you on defence as well as on offense as he has good skating and passing skills too.

Anyway, good luck for the season than. I am not that much of a team supporter, just following the Austrians. Have not enought connection to any team there to be with one.

I admittedly don’t know much about Pock, but the Isles problems aren’t really with defense. They need to score more goals. That was their biggest grief last year, and I don’t know if this year will be any better with the youth movement they’ve undertaken.
Pock was grabbed off waivers, if I’m not mistaken. The Isles are missing Chris Campoli and Andy Sutton to start the season, so that’s the main reason they grabbed Pock. So far so good.

Wow, I am impressed. The game is not yet over but the Sabres are leasding the Rangers (which had a 5-0 record to this game) by 3:1 in third quater.

Rangers took the lead, Sabres scored equaliser and than Vanek scored twice including a shorthanded goal (second one in a row), so holding on 5 goals in 3 games and about 10 mins to play.

[quote=“mingshah”]Wow, I am impressed. The game is not yet over but the Sabres are leasding the Rangers (which had a 5-0 record to this game) by 3:1 in third quater.

Rangers took the lead, Sabres scored equaliser and than Vanek scored twice including a shorthanded goal (second one in a row), so holding on 5 goals in 3 games and about 10 mins to play.[/quote]
Thanks Vanek! Ranger killer. :discodance:

The Flyers are off to a bad start this season so far. It’s pretty early but most everyone expected they’d come flying out of the gate. I’m quite the hockey junkie and peruse quite a few fan sites and message boards, and came across a discussion at the HF Boards - Flyers hangout. Seems some of the die-hards there are considering that VP hopeful Sarah Palin has cursed them and their season by dropping the ceremonial puck at their first home game this year. :laughing:

That little piece of PR really backfired. All those boos from the Flyer fans. Should’ve dropped the puck at a Coyotes or Stars game.

Vanek scored again, leads the league now with 6 goals out of 4 games and additional had 2 assists today to to get him 8 point out of 4 games and 2nd place there too. No shorthanded goal today, so kind of a weak one tonight for him I guess. :wink:

Kind of impressive start for a guy who was said to be a slow starter, just guess sooner or later he will have to lower this insane pace. At least they are not complaining that he isn’t steping up to his contract now.

Mer, thought of you when he killed the Rangers and that you might liked that one. :slight_smile:

Oh, indeed I did! :discodance:

Buffalo is off to a great start this year. Teppo is back on the blue line too! He played for the Winnipeg Jets way back when. I’ll never forget him.

First game from Vanek without a goal or a point during the game or in the overtime but a sick move on the game winning shoot out point. Still, bad game from the sabres. They better come up with more against Minnesota.

Knuckle-head Philly fans.

Fan Throws Stink Bomb On Ice During Flyers Game 10/25/08

Rangers collapse in 3rd period against the Leafs. Must make Mer a happy man. Still, the Rangers currently has a league best 21 points while the Isles have a league worst of 5. My Sens ain’t doing too hot either at 10. :s

Sure, I guess. I don’t care what the Rangers do so long as the Isles are winning, but that’s not happening either. NYI outplayed Montreal for 50 min and had a beauty 4-1 lead, but it all fell apart goal by goal in the last 10 min. The Habs smelled blood and took it 5-4 in regulation. In some ways, the Islanders look better this year than last, although their record to this point doesn’t show it. They are young, and hopefully they will learn from this bitter loss.

I guess not everyone’s impressed with Sid the Kid.

Oh, who am I kidding…yeah, I am happy when the Rags lose. You got me sjcma! :slight_smile:

And I bet that one special lose was more than sweet for you too, congrats on beating them 2:1. :wink:

Pock got an assist for the first goal, otherwise not great season yet for him and the Isles.

The lowly Senators greet the lowliest Isles tonight in Ottawa. Go Sens Go! Time to pick up 2 easy points!