NHL owners buy Liverpool

I chuckled to myself reading one of the headlines in the NHL section of ESPN this morning.

Two NHL owners to buy storied UK soccer club Liverpool

I love it. Two hockey owners buy an English football team. Liverpool no less. I’m thinking, there’s got to quite a few lads in Old Blighty who don’t like this one bit. :smiley:

Liverpool recommends sale to U.S. owners - Associated Press
LONDON – First it was Manchester United. Then Aston Villa. And now Liverpool, with a record 18 English championships, also is about to come under American ownership.
soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story … 01&cc=5901

One of the NHL teams is the Montreal Canadiens. The last time I looked, Montreal was in Canada. Don’t tell me the most storied franchise in Canadian hockey is owned by an American. I think I can guess how the Liverpool fans will feel.

Sport is going to Hell. I supported the move from amateur to professional (I’m talking rugby and cricket) but I’m having second thoughts.
Teams made up almost entirely of non-local players, long playing seasons that lead to boredom, and foreign ownership; welcome to the 21st century.

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Mer”]
Liverpool recommends sale to U.S. owners - Associated Press
LONDON – First it was Manchester United. Then Aston Villa. And now Liverpool, with a record 18 English championships, also is about to come under American ownership.
[/quote]
One of the NHL teams is the Montreal Canadiens. The last time I looked, Montreal was in Canada. Don’t tell me the most storied franchise in Canadian hockey is owned by an American. I think I can guess how the Liverpool fans will feel.[/quote]
The last time I looked, the owner of the Montreal Canadiens was George Gillett Jr. And yes, he is an American businessman. :smiley:

What’s the big deal? At least Montreal still has its franchise in Montreal. Ask Winnipeg Jets fans what happened to their team after a rich Arizona businessman bought them. (I’d suggest you don’t ask though…Jets fans are still pretty surly over that)

I thought the Russians owned all the Brit soccer clubs?