NIA ARC-checking app

Great story in the Taipei Times today. Apparently the NIA is going to release an app for all Taiwanese to make sure Whitey McWhite is legally staying in Taiwan. And all you need is to know the ARC number. And the app will even show you the photo of Whitey McWhite by just putting in the number.

They should implement the same for Taiwanese on green cards in America… oh wait… we’d get lynched by one of the many Chinese citizen associations.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2015/06/22/2003621303

[quote=“hsinhai78”]And all you need is to know the ARC number…

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2015/06/22/2003621303[/quote]

In the interest of clarity here, that doesn’t seem to be true:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“hsinhai78”]And all you need is to know the ARC number…

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2015/06/22/2003621303[/quote]

In the interest of clarity here, that doesn’t seem to be true:

It is not clear whether both is needed or either of the two is enough. You may understand “and” to describe cumulative conditions or alternative information that can each lead to confirmation of the validity / being able to access the photo.

But great to see that you’re more concerned with semantics. It doesn’t trouble you at all that any hick wearing blue slippers on a scooter can get your photo on his smartphone and essentially has access to the NIA database?

the whole thing sounds fishy doesn’t it. do those counters and clerks at banks, govt offices, etc even have ipads and other devices to scan and bring up your photo ID?? I can just picture some poor lady having to use her own smartphone every time a foreigner walks in

That is true.

I’m not concerned with semantics, but the reality of the situation. If your last statement is true, I’m concerned, but I’m not convinced that’s the case as of now. It would seem to violate the strict standards for personal information the government has enacted, which is unlikely, and the description does mention that the barcode is needed. If institutions I give my ARC to have the ability to check my document in a database for its authenticity, I’m not concerned. The article also says that “organizations” will be able to use this app, and not individuals. Even if an individual was able to use it, presuming the barcode is needed, they would have to be in possession of my ARC to make use of it, and would not gain any additional information by checking its authenticity. Again, I find it implausible that the app will allow anyone in possession of my ARC number to get my name and photo by using it, but I’m going to try to find out more.

That is true.

I’m not concerned with semantics, but the reality of the situation. If your last statement is true, I’m concerned, but I’m not convinced that’s the case as of now. It would seem to violate the strict standards for personal information the government has enacted, which is unlikely, and the description does mention that the barcode is needed. If institutions I give my ARC to have the ability to check my document in a database for its authenticity, I’m not concerned. The article also says that “organizations” will be able to use this app, and not individuals. Even if an individual was able to use it, presuming the barcode is needed, they would have to be in possession of my ARC to make use of it, and would not gain any additional information by checking its authenticity. Again, I find it implausible that the app will allow anyone in possession of my ARC number to get my name and photo by using it, but I’m going to try to find out more.[/quote]

If any potential employer is the target user, then the app will most likely be freely available. And even if access was only granted to banks, there is still a problem, Because what it does is create a double standard where your ARC will be checked for its validity in any circumstance whereas nobody will doubt the ID card of a local customer is real.

Why is making a copy of a ROC ID and NHI card enough for opening a bank account but Whitey McWhite’s ARC needs to be checked for its validity in addition to making photocopies?

Why is the photo printed on a ROC ID good enough but Whitey McWhite’s photo needs to be cross-checked with the NIA database?

I don’t see any comparable app released to check the validity of ROC ID cards. What makes an ID card less prone to faking/tampering?

A company I worked for in canada had the ability to check someone’s identification, but all that would show was whether the person was in the database or not. It would not actually give the person’s personal information, just a simple verify or not.

That I have no issues with, as long as this doesn’t become a personal information free for all.
If it does, everyone should complain to the Privacy Commissioner, and the app will be quickly modified.

As far as banks having access, why does it matter what my residential status is? I’m giving you my money, because god knows the mmajority of banks don’t like giving any of their money to foreigners.

Are fake ARCs such a problem? Gee, I never thought it would be such a coveted document. Or overstays? Who is affected by overstaying aside from the individual paying a fine?. I mean, is this ARC verification such a rampant and common problem that such a device is necessary?

Worse, I suspect whitie teachers are not the main targets, but the SEA workers. As election rolls around, bigger bounties on illegal workers are placed. Hence, a quick check to a quick buck is implemented.

Anyways, as per election time, officials start coming up with weird schemes to show they are doing something. Atogas and other foreigners are easy pickings, with little to lose if things go wrong.

Years ago the Government had launched some ill conceived abortion of a program offering cash rewards to citizens who turned in illegal aliens and illegal teachers. I remember the first month or so it was active 2 random people demanding to see my ID; one at at a breakfast shop and another at a bus stop. both times i laughed and said no…
I see some back-splash a’ coming with this one as well.

The app is free and I downloaded it to test yesterday. It scans the barcode on the back of your ARC. You then have to enter in another code on the back of your ARC, plus the date of approval and the date of expiry. It searches, and then it tells you a message in Chinese (which I couldn’t read), and gives you the option to look at the photo on the ARC. The pic was the same one as I have on my APRC.

Does anyone know where they got this idea from? Seems too well put together to be original… Mainland?

What recourse do we have to refuse to show our ARCs to any Ago and Amao who wants to see them? If they call the police, are we covered if we are legal?

Sounds like a very poor app from a user experience point of view. I’ll stay with Facebook.

Nuts.

I would totally understand if they had a custom app for the police, so they could verify the validity of the ARCs in any suspects on the spot. It would make sense. But give EVERYONE the potential to check your ARC is just discriminatory. I also want an APP so I can check THEIR ROC ID cards. No? Then sorry, if anyone asks, the answer will be “no effing way”.

The people who hire illegals WANT to hire illegals. People hiring a foreigner would be the only ones affected by non valid ARCs, but one supposes they would find out sooner or later as they process work permits, NHIs, taxes, the works. Anyone else has no business checking your ARC status.

Does anyone know if their local neighbor is a convicted felon, a sex offender, a mafia member -that last one is a bit more obvious- but if you don’t, can you just ask them to show you their IDs or else call the cops on them?

You know why this really grinds my gears? Because they are covering it up in “this is to expedite your applying for things”. Big fat lie. My PARC is worth NOTHING when opening a bank account, or doing any other kind of transaction. After almost 20 years here, they only take my passport into consideration. They do not care if I have a valid ARC or not. I can show them any of my 12 credit cards from 5 banks, salary files… nothing matters. The ARC is not their priority when identifying atoga. I have complained way too many times why is the document issued by their own government NOT taken into consideration for processing any transaction. I am still waiting for an answer. So, them telling this app is for our convenience? I ain’t buying it.

Indeed it is, thanks!

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … eapp&hl=en

You have to take a photo of the card and input data as WM says. It returns a message saying whether the card is valid or not, and if you have open work rights or not. Option to look at the picture, no name.

There’s a way to do it with NFC if your phone has that (mine doesn’t) and notes. Reading them I get the feeling counterfeiting is an issue.

You laugh in their face. I always hope something like this will happen to me but it never does :cry:

Most of the local amah and agong where I live out here in the countryside cant speak a lick of English, forget trying to ask to see my ID. I can usually understand what they are asking me but if I know it is some person asking for money or some favor, i just put on my best face indicating I have no clue what they are saying and I keep walking.

I doubt the random person on the street will ask to see your ARC :slight_smile:

According to the news reports, it’s for organizations to check status if you’re opening a bank account, getting a new job etc. It’s not for random people on the street to check up on you.

In the future they are going to ask all foreigners to wear a star on their shirt at all times. They also can just turn the swastikas on the temples around and they are all set.

Then it should be available only to such organizations, not in the public domain. I call BS.

Then it should be available only to such organizations, not in the public domain. I call BS.[/quote]

Exactly. Aren’t banks already tied up to the Tax office, anyways? Sine they have to report our accounts -which I know they have, they have shown them to me at the tax office- they should know we are legal or not. Or is NIA running on some esoteric software?