NIA ARC-checking app

Then it should be available only to such organizations, not in the public domain. I call BS.[/quote]

Exactly. Aren’t banks already tied up to the Tax office, anyways? Sine they have to report our accounts -which I know they have, they have shown them to me at the tax office- they should know we are legal or not. Or is NIA running on some esoteric software?[/quote]

Immigration status is irrelevant for opening bank accounts. A tourist can open a bank account, and all he would need is an A4 piece of paper printed by the NIA with an UID number. You will soon see more and more instances of cross-checking your immigration status. Why not just connect iBon machines? The API behind the system is broken and we cannot verify your ARC? Oh too bad, no movie ticket for you.

Except for exit/entry formalities and the rare police/NIA check or upon application of a work permit, your immigration status is of no relevance to anyone. But giving the average Taiwanese a tool to download and verify your status is disgusting. Expect to be approached by tons of businesses and people. And if you don’t comply - well you got to be hiding something. Why else would you disturb the Taiwanese harmony ?

Then it should be available only to such organizations, not in the public domain. I call BS.[/quote]

Exactly. Aren’t banks already tied up to the Tax office, anyways? Sine they have to report our accounts -which I know they have, they have shown them to me at the tax office- they should know we are legal or not. Or is NIA running on some esoteric software?[/quote]

The point being that if a random person on the street asks to check you, you can simply refuse.

The point being that if a random person on the street asks to check you, you can simply refuse.[/quote]

Yes, we can. But then, what would happen? They will feel they lost face. This will lead to clashes, and we know what happens next. the legal system doe snot cover us if we fight back. W have to play victim, which will erode our good will, to say the least, or end up in complicated legal tangles.

As Hsinhai says -and here I loathe myself for agreeing with him for once- the Taiwanese with a chip on their shoulder or nothing else to do will exercise their will to give us mafan. By making this tool available to everyone regardless of the intended use, they are making it a sort of information prick to keep on pricking us to the breaking point. You can refuse, laugh and turn away. That will take care of this idjit… and the next one… and the next? Even nice local people will start wondering: mm, they have an app to check which products are safe, now there is an app to see which atogas are safe.

Remember, we are not only the expiatory lamb in a bad economy, we are the Guys in Tall Black Hats as per internalized Chinese mythology which is increasingly pervasive - as part of the integration to the motherland and isolation from the rest of the world’s influence. I can see someone with large investments in China and big companies here executing orders to make our lives difficult. Our presence in the workplace is already an insult to them. Why this? Why now? Why so available? Certainly most Ahuangs are busy living their lives, too busy to care about atoga, but if Ahuang needs some release, we will be the punching bag.

I can’t help wonder if Taiwan is planning some great purge and will enlist the local population’s help to expel people.

For me, I welcome the chance to make some fool lose face by asking for my ID.

Just asking to see my ID should make them lose face enough.

Verre ees your papers, uden… Sound familiar?

However I highly doubt that is what this is really about. This is some government pet project so that programmers that would otherwise be sitting there doing nothing are given a make work project to look like they are busy, but in actuality the program will really be used by no one.

Now Japan on the other hand, a foreigner cant even walk the street without being stopped by police or ANY law enforcement officer for a paper check. Taiwan doesn’t have this type of mentality.

Taiwan couldn’t plan to wipe its own arse so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. :popcorn:

I’m sorry if they lose face, but if they ask to check my status and they’re not a government officer, I will decline. I don’t have to pretend much to say I don’t understand chinese, and if they ask me in english, I will politely say “no, gracias, puedes irte a tomar por culo” with a big smile on my face.

I’m sorry if they feel they lost face, but if they walk right into it, they deserve that and more.

I’m sorry if they lose face, but if they ask to check my status and they’re not a government officer, I will decline. I don’t have to pretend much to say I don’t understand chinese, and if they ask me in english, I will politely say “no, gracias, puedes irte a tomar por culo” with a big smile on my face.

I’m sorry if they feel they lost face, but if they walk right into it, they deserve that and more.[/quote]

It’s all your fault for coming to Taiwan in the first place and stealing their women.

Shhh before they make an app for that too.

It is disgusting, but I doubt if many Taiwanese people know about this app. It will be forgotten and the world will move on. Hiring will continue regardless of status, and those foreigners who land and apply for a job - well, how is the App going to work then? Banks still have to do official paperwork. Police will still have to verify ID officially. Nothing will change…

Only a small number of ARC holders are white. I doubt this issue is aimed at you personally, or other people of your skin-colour.

Anyway, white people all look the same, so it doesn’t matter if the picture that comes up on the app is not the same as the one on your card. Who could tell the difference?

I’m sorry if they feel they lost face, but if they walk right into it, they deserve that and more.[/quote]

It’s all your fault for coming to Taiwan in the first place and stealing their women.[/quote]

Mind you, I met my wife in the city I had lived all of my life. We came to Taiwan after getting married, after 5 years of living together there. So, technically, she stole me from the women there (which was a welcome change after the backstabbing double-faced witch that was my ex). Now… coming here wasn’t as nice a change, but it could be worse.

Only a small number of ARC holders are white. I doubt this issue is aimed at you personally, or other people of your skin-colour.

Anyway, white people all look the same, so it doesn’t matter if the picture that comes up on the app is not the same as the one on your card. Who could tell the difference?[/quote]

I’ll give you a a hint.

His name rhymes with “Plain Bean” :wink:

Anyway, white people all look the same, so it doesn’t matter if the picture that comes up on the app is not the same as the one on your card. Who could tell the difference?[/quote]

I’ll give you a a hint.

His name rhymes with “Plain Bean” :wink:[/quote]
James Dean?

Actually, I’m pretty sure that’s what this is:

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … _arc&hl=en

Not from the NIA, but does seem to “check the validity of ROC ID cards.”

I’ll give you a a hint.

His name rhymes with “Plain Bean” :wink:[/quote]
James Dean?[/quote]
Jane Green? This is driving me crazy…

Not from the NIA, but does seem to “check the validity of ROC ID cards.”[/quote]

I think all that app does is check that an ID number matches the formula for producing the numbers–ie. the location letter code, checksum digit, etc.–not that it’s an officially issued number.

In other words, if you want to create a fake number (hence the “not for illegal purposes” disclaimer), it will check that it’s at least a possible number. Kind of like this website.

Not from the NIA, but does seem to “check the validity of ROC ID cards.”[/quote]

I think all that app does is check that an ID number matches the formula for producing the numbers–ie. the location letter code, checksum digit, etc.–not that it’s an officially issued number.

In other words, if you want to create a fake number (hence the “not for illegal purposes” disclaimer), it will check that it’s at least a possible number. Kind of like this website.[/quote]

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. You’re probably right about that.

In other words, if you want to create a fake number (hence the “not for illegal purposes” disclaimer), it will check that it’s at least a possible number. Kind of like this website.[/quote]

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. You’re probably right about that.[/quote]

The App you posted here merely checks the algorithm behind the number.
Love your attitude of defending this xenophobic NIA app though, Yangzigui.

what’s the purpose they launched this