Nice carrot cake 紅蘿蔔蛋糕 Kaohsiung (+NYC+Honolulu)

[quote=“DKaoshuing, post:1, topic:201759, full:true”]
Best one I found in Taiwan ( not many choices in Taiwan though)
S’more Sugar - Google Maps
[/quote] Here

2 Likes

this summer in the USA.

1 Like

I guess, not

2 Likes

Fun fact: Carrot Cake was created out of necessity during rationing in World War 2 in England. Other more premiums ingredients (such as chocolate) were almost impossible to get at the time, so they had to be innovative with their desserts. Who knew it’d be one of the few ration-time foods to endure long after rationing was over? The more you know

(Okay, technically there were “carrot cakes” during the Middle Ages, but it was pretty forgotten by the early 20th century, and its modern popularity is due to it being pushed by the UK government during WW2 rationing)

3 Likes

Good job, UK government!

Damn I could some carrot cake now.

Guy

1 Like

I leaned something new. Thank you teacher for your wisdom and the fun fact haha.

2 Likes

A USA combo version, I could try it with a Taiwan version.

2 Likes

An famous Island cafe (Oahu) in Honolulu, travel is opening up. My first flights in about a year. Still like the KHH one near my house the best but this is good, less sweet then the mainland American ones.

2 Likes

Damn. @DKaoshuing are you trying to make me weep on a Sunday morning? :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

You have time to hop on the train to KHH for the one I like the best(Carrot cake) and be back for dinner! (Call if you really do go one day to make sure they have it as it seems they do not bake it everyday). BTW I was weeping as the bakery in Hawaii did not have slice of cake I wanted ( Haupia Cake) so the carrott cake was not my first choice. I hope I try Haupia Cake before I return to Kaoshuing as travel is still a bit troublesome.

1 Like

Enjoy your time in Oahu!

Guy

1 Like

On the way back to Hawaii (not Oahu) from Europe via the West Coast, I did not see Carrot cake in the cafes in Europe

Estonia cafe , great cheap espresso and coffees 1-3Euro though the “carrot” cake is bit different more like nut cake or roll. Also to be fair not a Carrot cake, just asked and they recommended that.

3 Likes

Looks great! That must be a nice afternoon treat.

Guy

1 Like

Good but first is expensive, second photo is Estonia where drinks are cheaper than Hawaii (bottle of Taiwan green tea 2.95$(NT$80)vs Taiwan 7-11 Nt$30 and Estonia local one, 1.2euro)). Flying from EU on Air Kanada maybe get a cheap drink in the Canada Airport? (should be cheaper than USA)

Unfortunately Canada is ridiculously expensive now.

I pray you are not going through Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ) in the next while. Search “worst airport in the world” and “Toronto Pearson” if you are interested in the gruesome details. :neutral_face:

Guy

Yes, ** Pearson Airport (YYZ)
** Modern Airport, which is busy and my visit not so well, people are not so nice as I though but maybe the stress of a big airport. Miss the small Tallin and even Finland’s airport.

1 Like

That is currently a horrible broken place, marked by lost bags, delays, and many cancelled flights. If there is any way possible for you to NOT use Toronto Pearson this summer, I would urge you to make other arrangements.

Guy

Already done at YYZ and yes not nice, the only other choice would be transfer at justin trudeau airport, not sure it would be better as a lot of it is Air Canada and Canada gov probelms, the nice person was USA immigration at Toronto joking with me (after a long process to get there)

I fly this airline for the points on ANa airlines, United Airlines seems better which I fly to Hawaii.

1 Like

Got it. So you’re a Star Alliance man!

That still would not convince me to fly through Pearson Airport this summer. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

I did it. I was whisked through smoothly both ways.

That includes my escapades with paying duties on alcohol in Canada and having every electronic device pulled from my carryon to be scanned individually.