Nice carrot cake 紅蘿蔔蛋糕 Kaohsiung (+NYC+Honolulu)

Best one I found in Taiwan ( not many choices in Taiwan though)
S’more Sugar - Google Maps

6 Likes

Tucked in behind the Cultural Center. Nice catch!

Guy

1 Like

The one from Heritage Bakery is good.

1 Like

oops, this is in Taipei. :grimacing:

After lunch on a working day not as busy. More a place to talk than to use a lap top thus not like coffee cafe, busy on weekends with young ladies talking and eating.

1 Like

Heritage is good but the one here in Kaoshuing I like this better.

Another one I like is in the Grand Central Terminal in Mid Town (New York City) but not sure when I can go back as no work trips to the States recently.

2 Likes

lol. I’ll make a note of that for the future.

1 Like

Any photos?

More details about the inimitable Heritage (located in Taipei City near historic Beimen) can be found here:

I can vouch that their carrot cake remains excellent—moist, with fresh nuts to add complexity. My only gripe is that they put about three times the amount of cream cheese on top that is really needed. That’s easy to solve though as I just scrape off the excess and enjoy what’s left!

Guy

3 Likes

I like the cream cheese (if not too sweet) so I will have to go!

1 Like

I went to the Heritage Bakery yesterday, I have say the one here in Kaoshuing is one level higher than that. Heritage Bakery is ok, not great to my taste.
Taipei

Kaoshuing

2 Likes

Which bakery in Kaohsiung is that from? Is it cream cheese or whipped cream?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Carrot Cake in Taipei

It’s not whipped cream as it would not last long. Its a bit harder/thicker cream cheese which it taste like, which I like. This is my preference. S’more Sugar has two locations, the one in the link is where I go. They do sell out of the Carrot cake as they make limited amount, you can call before you go to make sure they save you one. I revisited today 3 slices left this afternoon so do call before you go.

1 Like

After trying a few more different Carrot Cakes, still miss the one the one at S’more Sugar, recently though they do not have it everyday (in May). I will try post a few other photos when I have a chance.

1 Like

After a summer in various USA cities, I have to say the KHH is the best, just they do not bake it everyday so I have to call before I go. The main reason is the KHH one is not very sweet, when I have time I will post my USA cake photos. The 2nd best place I had it is Brisbane (QLD) but since COVID have not been able to travel to our offices in OZ. I thought the USA ones were the best, but seems not based on my tastes now.

It’s the reduced sugar isn’t it.

Once you get used to how Japanese and Taiwanese adjust some of these cakes, the “real versions” in NA can be jarring!

Guy

1 Like

This is 1000% true. I guess American cakes in general are sweeter than Asian or Aussie or EU cakes. Not sure about other North American (Mexico/Canada)nations cake though. Anyways what I remember was better haha, but at least in Taiwan I have a good place to go.

1 Like

Heading to Mexico will not solve this problem. :rofl:

Guy

Where in KHH can I get this favorite carrot cake of yours? Have to note it the next time I go there.