Nice quote!

What Taiwan’s future leaders think…from today’s Taipei Times:

Foreign workers’ woes increase

Discrimination, sexual harassment and difficult working conditions experienced by foreign workers and spouses have become an acute social problem, Lorna Kung (龔尤倩), advisor of the Taiwan International Workers’ Association, said yesterday.

“Discrimination against people from Southeast Asia is a prevailing phenomenon,” said Kung, who has been involved in foreign labor affairs for years and is the former director of the Taipei City Government’s Foreign Workers Consulting Center (FWCC).

On weekends, many Filipino and Indonesian workers gather at the Catholic Fu Jen University, chatting and singing songs.

“These black people speak strange languages, making sounds like this, `wa-la-wa-la,’” said a passing student with contempt. “They are noisy and dangerous.”

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003065934

Just brilliant.

funny in 12 years of Catholic school I guess I missed that lesson :slight_smile: but hey, I didn’t go to a FORKING CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY

[quote=“blueface666”]What Taiwan’s future leaders think…from today’s Taipei Times:

Discrimination, sexual harassment and difficult working conditions experienced by foreign workers and spouses have become an acute social problem, Lorna Kung (龔尤倩), advisor of the Taiwan International Workers’ Association, said yesterday.

“Discrimination against people from Southeast Asia is a prevailing phenomenon,” said Kung, who has been involved in foreign labor affairs for years and is the former director of the Taipei City Government’s Foreign Workers Consulting Center (FWCC).

On weekends, many Filipino and Indonesian workers gather at the Catholic Fu Jen University, chatting and singing songs.

“These black people speak strange languages, making sounds like this, `wa-la-wa-la,’” said a passing student with contempt. “They are noisy and dangerous.”[/quote]

Taiwan is in safe hands then. Another hundred years of the same old shit coming right up.

Naw, that “wa-la-wa-la” sound is me trying to speak Tagalog with the 25 Filipino members of the choir at Fujen every Sunday.

Sheesh. I really hope those aren’t our students at Fujen making statements like that, but I suppose it is. I did a “guest lecture” (as if I know anything about sociology!) in a couple of sociology classes at Fujen and the students did ask some pretty stereotypical questions. But then again they aren’t exactly being encouraged in their cosmpolitan attitudes by their parents’ generation.

I went to an activity for Indonesian workers in Chungli yesterday. It was great fun. They were really rockin’…Funny how amateur bands from Indo are better than the Taiwanese bands we have to pay for.

[quote=“blueface666”]What Taiwan’s future leaders think…from today’s Taipei Times:

“These black people speak strange languages, making sounds like this, `wa-la-wa-la,’” said a passing student with contempt. “They are noisy and dangerous.”

taipeitimes.com/News/Taiwan/ … 2003065934[/quote]

I guess I’m dangerous, too, because I was making that sound at about 2AM Saturday morning.