Nicorette inhalers

Has anyone tried them as an aid to quit smoking?
I bought a box (18 little shiny pseudo-cigarettes). According to the instructions, I would need the whole lot per day to maintain my nicotine addiction (60 ciggies a day). In addition, one needs to continue the course for at least 12 weeks. At NT$600 per 18, that works out at roughly NT$50000, bare minimum. Surely cigarettes and chemotherapy are cheaper?
In conjunction with patches and gum one would need less, I presume.
Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Yeah, mate. One is inclined to agree that cigarettes and Chemo would be cheaper. Also, neither the gum nor the inhaler is really a substitute for cigs. At the end of the day, whether you use them or not it will really depend on your will power, and whether deep down in the pit of your soul; Do you really really really WANT to quit?

If the answer is yes, they may be helpful. But if the answer really is yes, then stopping cold turkey, putting yourself in places and situations where you can’t smoke and vasbyt should get you through the drift.

Mr Bismarck, to be honest, I really don’t want to quit. I love smoking. If I could smoke 20 at a time I would. Shit is, I HAVE to. Or I will die a painful, premature death.

You see, we have the same problem (Along with the two packs a day habit! Marlboro Reds, in my case… :astonished: :astonished: ), which is why I have a semi-used box of nicorette inhalers, and several brands of nicotine gum (all partially used) scattered all over the house.

Yet, here I sit in front of the PC - :beatnik:

I can recommend patches actually. You can get a week’s worth for TWD900 in the chemists here. At work I found if I have a patch on I don’t think about smoking. Of course down the pub I start chainsmoking after a couple of pints as you’ve probably noticed but I reckon that’s less harmful that smoking all the time.

Don’t go cold turkey. You’ll end up gnawing through your own wrists to end the torture.

[quote=“KingZog”][color=#FF0000]I can recommend patches actually[/color]. You can get a week’s worth for TWD900 in the chemists here. At work I found if I have a patch on I don’t think about smoking. Of course down the pub I start chainsmoking after a couple of pints as you’ve probably noticed but I reckon that’s less harmful that smoking all the time.

Don’t go cold turkey. You’ll end up gnawing through your own wrists to end the torture.[/quote]
Now that’s one thing I’ve actually never tried. I reckon I may give it a go this week and see if it’s any better than the other two options above. To be honest, the inhaler is slightly better than the gum, but it’s still dragging on something and doesn’t quite have the same feel. The gum tastes like crap and I want to chew all the time, which you can’t do. It feels weird to have this piece of gum in my mouth I can’t chew…

The gum gave me the hiccups.

Me too. Almost instantaneously. Like Mr Bismarck said, it’s gotta be chewed real slow. A very difficult thing to do with gum.

You should have a look at this site:
whyquit.com/
Reading it helped me a lot, and Joel the site owner is very against NRTs. The articles should be able to convince you to hate the smoking addiction. I managed to quit quite easily cold turkey (but I was on only “only” 20 a day).

I think cold turkey works best, anything else just prolongs the torture. Once you get over the first week (especially the first 3 days) it should be fine.

[quote=“Mawvellous”]You should have a look at this site:
whyquit.com/
Reading it helped me a lot, and Joel the site owner is very against NRTs. The articles should be able to convince you to hate the smoking addiction. I managed to quit quite easily cold turkey (but I was on only “only” 20 a day).

I think cold turkey works best, anything else just prolongs the torture. Once you get over the first week (especially the first 3 days) it should be fine.[/quote]
You make a good point, and it worked for my grandpa after 40 odd years of smoking Gunston Plains.

Me? I got a pack of the patches today, just in case. I figure if I can get over a week without smoking I’ll be able to go solo the rest of the way. I just need something to help me not think about it so much!

I’ll let you all know how it goes.

I always heard that your physical addiction is beat after 3 days. From then on it’s all mental.

[quote=“bismarck”]
You make a good point, and it worked for my grandpa after 40 odd years of smoking Gunston Plains.

Me? I got a pack of the patches today, just in case. I figure if I can get over a week without smoking I’ll be able to go solo the rest of the way. I just need something to help me not think about it so much!

I’ll let you all know how it goes.[/quote]

Right back then everyone smoked, and most people managed to quit like your Grandpa through cold turkey. Anyway whatever works best for you.
Good luck!

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“bismarck”]

Right back then everyone smoked, and most people managed to quit like your Grandpa through cold turkey. Anyway whatever works best for you.
Good luck![/quote]
btw, Thanks for the link to the quit smoking site. I’m busy reading through it. It’s got some really helpful stuff on there.

Hey guys,

I was searching about the nicorette inhaler online in Taiwan and found this post.
I bought one last Saturday after having decided that I really have to quit or at least reduce smoking.

I did some research on net and was pretty convinced that this could help me stop.

So here I go Saturday, go to a pharmacy in front of the Linkou hospital and bought a starter pack. I’ve read on net that you need to start by inhaling 6 nicotine cartridges a day (6 x 10mg nicotine = 18~20 cigs) for a month then slowly reduce. The starter pack contains the inhaler and 18 cartridges, so I was good for 3 days. I also did see on net that in US/Europe they sell refill packs with 42 cartridges for about the same price as the starter pack. So I ask the girl about it and she tells me she’s never heard about this (she even told me the inhaler is not working for people who want to stop smoking, always nice to hear when you’ve taken the big step in stopping …). I go to 2 or 3 other pharmacies and same answer, they don’t have it.
So I was thinking, well, it might be because it’s Linkou, but hey, it’s in front of the Linkou hospital and they have a bunch of crap stocked there so it should be there but anyway. I ask my girlfriend to call the importer of the product, and they DO NOT SELL IT IN GODDAMN TAIWAN !

So basically you can buy the starter pack, but you can not buy the refill ! How fxxxd up is that ? It’s like buying a printer without being able to buy ink cartridges …
I’d like to say that I am not surprised that this happens in Taiwan but at some point you’ve to tell these people, COME ON, THINK !

So anyway I am pissed and I wanted to know if anyone here has bought these refill packs anywhere in Taiwan or had people send them from abroad ? I am thinking of having my mom send some to me but I’m afraid it won’t go through custom …

Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit. I went cold turkey 6 years ago from a 20 a day roll-up habit and i still miss them. But i only did it when i was ready too. One day I woke up and said to myself “Today I won’t have a cigarette” and did that every day until i forgot about it. I did slip but didn’t beat myself up about about. It’s hard going but well worth it in the end.

I can buy the refill inhaler packs at the pharmacy near my house in Banchiao. Or at least I used to be able to. Nicorette brand. Also, theres a Taiwanese brand of gum that tastes better and has the same kick to it as well. It’s cheaper.

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“bismarck”]

Good luck![/quote]
Yeah, you were right. That didn’t work. A year later and I’m back up to almost two packs a day. This is why I never smoked at school or varisty (nor took drugs). I always had this suspicion that once hooked on a habit forming substance the habit would be almost impossible for me to break.

I’ve tried the gum (tastes like crap), the inhaler (does absolutely nothing for me) and cold turkey (although, admittedly, very half heartedly).
At the end of the day, the best thing is to just never start the filthy damn habit!

quitting booze helped me to stop smoking. I always found the temptation in the pub to spark up was always stronger after a few pints.

I’m doubting that you or that man presley could give up the booze though :wink:

[quote=“Funk500”]quitting booze helped me to stop smoking. I always found the temptation in the pub to spark up was always stronger after a few pints.

I’m doubting that you or that man presley could give up the booze though :wink:[/quote]
I’ve done it before. I can turn it on or off at will. The problem with smokes is I feel a huge craving after an hour or two. Drinking? I spend most of my time at home and I’m equally happy with a glass of ice cold water and ice (summer) or a cup o’ java (winter/summer/must have morning beverage).