Niece Visiting: Fun Things To Do?

My niece will be visiting me for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any ideas for fun day trips in Taipei? I’m not much of an outgoing person, hence not au fait with tourist traps.
I was thinking:
*Long Shan temple and night market
*Chiang Kai Shek Memorial
*Taipei 101
*National Palace Museum
*Yang Min Shan or maybe Sun Moon Lake?

She’s eighteen. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Taroko!

1 Like

Wu Fen Pu clothing area near Sungshan station.
all kinds of misspelled and funnily worded shirts and clothing attire

1 Like

Yeah, Taroko is lovely, but I’m looking at Taipei.

Taroko is closer to Taipei than SML x___x

1 Like

Indeed, but Taroko is more of a two or three day thing than Sun Moon Lake.

what does she like?

1 Like

I hear kids her age like to stay inside and play on their phones so perhaps you don’t need to play anything.

That’s very helpful. Thank you.

Maybe Ximending

Jiufen is a pretty good day trip.

Your list seems reasonable J. I would venture to suggest that a meet up with the maoman girls would be good . They will know more than us old wrinklies . There is a pet show on in Taipei soon , however I worry a little about the conditions they may be kept in at the show .

Don’t worry too much about it . I think the everyday sights will be interesting if she has not visited before .

Find out whether she prefers touristy stuff, outdoor stuff, shopping etc
Some other ideas
Teapot mountain
Suao cold springs

1 Like

The gondola up to Maokong is nice, and so is staying up there through sunset.

The Maji Square (beside Yuanshan MRT Station) isn’t bad for idle shopping - lots of, um, crafty things that I ignore, but other people are able to spend lots of time there. That’s also very close to Bao’an Temple, so that could be a decent afternoon and evening. Plenty of restaurant options in Maji Square as well.

If she does like hiking, tons of options up Yangmingshan. If she likes department-store shopping, just set her off in Taipei 101, and arrange to meet her in Taipei City Hall MRT station two hours (or two days!) later. I hear rumors from The Youngs that Ximending may better suit teens.

On a weekday, the Danshui waterfront, and a ferry across to Bali and back, can be nice. You can also rent bicycles for the riverside paths. As we all know, places like Danshui and Jiufen are best avoided on weekends, but you may not have a choice.

Cat cafes? Aren’t those sort of a thing now?

If you don’t have a car, look into bus tours to different parts of the island. Obviously many of these bus tours are karaoke monstrosities, but there must be some useful ones that simply give you good transport to an interesting place. Try these two sites to start:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293910-Activities-c42-t174-Taiwan.html

(And good to see you posting again jimi.)

1 Like

Thank you all for the good suggestions. They are most appreciated.

1 Like