Night markets top Facebook check-in rankings in Taiwan

Night markets top Facebook check-in rankings in Taiwan
CNA 2013-12-11 10:53 (GMT+8)

The Tainan Flower Night Market in southern Taiwan. (Photo/Ho Shu-juan)

Taiwan’s famous night markets took the top three spots in a list of the places in Taiwan with the most Facebook check-ins over the past year, according to global rankings released on Tuesday by the social networking site.

The Tainan Flower Night Market in southern Taiwan topped the list and was ranked 12th globally, followed by the Yilan Luodong Night Market in eastern Taiwan and the Feng-chia Night Market in the central part of the country.

The Danshui Old Street in New Taipei came in fourth and the Dream Mall shopping center in Kaohsiung ranked fifth, according to the rankings, which excluded transportation hubs.

Ranking sixth to 10th were the Keelung Miaokou Night Market, Zi Nan Temple in Nantou county, the Shinkuchan commercial district in Kaohsiung, the Big City shopping mall in Hsinchu and Vieshow cinema in Taipei’s Xinyi district.

“We found that Taiwanese like to check in at a broad diversity of places, ranging from night markets favored by both Taiwanese and tourists to popular scenic spots, shopping malls and movie theaters,” said Arrow Guo, head of small and medium business for Greater China and Southeast Asia at Facebook, in a press release.

Moreover, the top life events that Taiwanese added to their Facebook page most frequently in 2013 were “added a relationship, got engaged or got married,” “traveled,” “moved,” “met a new friend” and “ended a relationship.”

In terms of the places in other countries with the highest check-in rankings, Disneyland parks ranked at the top of the list in the United States, France, Japan and Hong Kong, according to Facebook’s findings.

I’ve never seen the met a new friend update(is it the same as added a friend?). Two of my Taiwanese Facebook friends updated as in a relationship recently.

I remember back in 2004 when the Loudong night market wasn’t such a huge tourist draw card. I was living in the town that year. How and why did it become one?