🛫 Departure | Night transfer to Taoyuan airport

I have early morning flight on monday from Taoyuan airport at 6:40am. Google maps search shows that I can go by bus from Taipei bus station - first 1610A at 2:30 and then transfer fo 1627 at Zhongli service area. But when I went to Taipei bus station to check the bus stop I didnt find it - Taipei bus station is quite big, has 3 or 4 floors for leaving buses, and I didnt find from which floor and gate should that bus depart. And when I asked at several counters I received weird reactions. Almost everyone looked confused by that bus number (at least that is my impression), almost as if such bus line did not exist…? Could it be possible that google has some outdated/incorrect informations and this bus line was cancelled or something like that? I dont want to end up stranded on bus station and having to find alternative in the middle of the night… :expressionless:

Seeing how you have to arrive basically 3 hours before, I’d honestly just take the bus at around 12am.

2 Likes

Nice. Heading to Tokyo? I’m going on Tuesday 6:40am flight.

I need to be at the airport at 3:40am so I’m spending the night at a nearby hotel. You should do the same. Or just arrive at the airport the night before, and rest at the terminal.

If you’re taking the bus, I don’t believe those buses you’re talking about has numbers (or at least most people don’t know the bus by the number). They are not city buses. They are long-distance coaches.

The most important thing is to find out the bus company you are going with, and then you can ask someone where that company’s buses depart from.

EDIT: If I were you, I would take the last high-speed rail service to Taoyuan, and then transfer to the Taoyuan MRT to the airport, and then sleep at the terminal until your 3:40 check-in time.

3 Likes

Yeah, I actually am heading for Tokyo for 1 week :sweat_smile:

That idea with bus at 23:48 is nice and it stops 10min from my hotel. Or I can take the last MRT to airport, Beimen is also like 10mins walk. And with my luggage the MRT is probably more convenient… :thinking: Conditions for check out of my hotel say 0:00 - 12:00, but check out sooner probably should not be impossible… :thinking:

I would just take a Taxi if your in Taipei and enjoy extra time in hotel, as check seems allows time. Be more relaxed and enjoy your holiday.

4 Likes

This. A pre-booked taxi from Taipei to the Taoyuan airport is around NT$800 (may cost more in the middle of the night).

Taoyuan Airport is considered one of the best airports to stay the night.

I’d take an early night MRT or bus, leisurely check in -not too early as that increases the chances of luggage lost- eat, shop, rest and then take the flight. Just don’t fall asleep and miss the flight!

But does the OP know when they can actually check in? It’s been quite a few years since I’ve spent a significant amount of time at Taoyuan, but I remember the pre-check-in area being a lot less appealing than post-check-in.

@haens, and for that matter @HongKonger, have you confirmed you can check in at 3:40am? In pre-COVID times, I remember arriving for an international flight two hours before an early morning departure, and the counters wouldn’t open for another 30 minutes. Of course, a lot has changed since then, but Taoyuan airport for me has a record of not even being open for check-in at the time they recommended I show up.

AFAIK, he should be able to check in on the internet 24hours before and receive and electronic boarding pass. Then, he can either print it out at the airport or they can give him a paper one at the counter. As per local airlines websites.

If he’s carrying luggage it will be trickier. Before COVID there were machines and personnel at the MRT/high speed station in Taipei Main/Beimen connection. Dunno if still there.

1 Like

It’s not canceled, you can look it up with the ‘BusTracker Taipei’ app. All info is there.

1 Like

https://www.ubus.com.tw/Booking/StationInquiry/9

I think the OP will (if taking 1610A bus and transfer somewhere in Zhongli), be overslept and end up somewhere in Kaohsiung.

1 Like

Made this trip with the same flight recently. Tokyo is packed now with tourists, probably because of the recent reopening, so make sure to pack all the high demand public tourist areas in weekday mornings for sure~

1 Like

I’m surprised by that. The few times I’ve been at Taoyuan Airport in the early hours, even before COVID, it seemed pretty shit.

This was after arriving and I was just looking to take a bus home, but there didn’t seem to be a hell of a lot open or to do. I’m sure I wouldn’t be robbed while sleeping in Taoyuan Airport, but it’d be nice to have more food, coffee, or general wandering options. I’d much rather spend a night in Bangkok, KL, or even Manila airport.

1 Like

I am already on the airport, took the pre-last mrt and now will have to kill some time till departure. And yeah, it doesnt look like many shops are open and I have two heavy bags so dont want to wander around much. This is not my first all-nighter, but I hope the plane wont be full and I will be able to strech a little bit and get some sleep :sleeping:

2 Likes

FYI, Scoot made me pay $1000 NT extra on the way back to Taiwan because my total weight was 11kg, and they have a 10kg limit for carry-on. I tried to create a scene and they threatened to prevent me from boarding. I’ve never been penalized for such a small margin in my lifetime (with several cross continent flights as well).

I’d rather pay more and fly a real airline next time.

3 Likes

I don’t recall ever having my carry-on weighed before - is that becoming common now? (And is stuffing a kilogram of stuff into a jacket pocket feasible?)

LCC, scoot is among the worst. The true Ryanair of Asia. Not even Tigerair makes this scenes that much.

Got my cabin baggage checked for size and weight only once… on Ryanair!

2 Likes

No baggage size/weight checking on todays flight. And I am glad, I probably would not pass :laughing:
Also to me they seemed normal and flight attendants looked hot :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

They didn’t check mine on the way to Tokyo. But they did on the way back. Beware.

3 Likes