Nightly video chat to North America?

So I’m finally on the home stretch for my moving plans, it’s been a long road but my current contract is about up.

As part of my plans I’m trying to get my logistics in order.

I’ll need to do teleconferencing to North America about 3 - 4 times per week for most of the night (about 8 hours each night during NA business hours) and I figure I have two options:

1. Do it from home.

2. Rent small office space.

My preference would be to just do it from home. No travel time, more comfortable surroundings, more security for the computer system I’d be setting up. I wonder if that’s going to cause problems with neighbors since I’d be animatedly talking all night. I keep hearing about how Taiwanese are less sensitive to noise since the environment is louder, but also that walls are paper thin in terms of noise bleed. I haven’t lived in an apartment in about 15 years, so I really don’t remember how much noise travels. I’m not looking to be rude to my neighbors, but if it’s not going to be perceived as rude I’d really prefer to avoid the extra expense and hassle of maintaining a separate office.

Any thoughts?

If looking at going the office space route, does anyone have experience with something similar to:

rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1829526.html

If so, is there reasonable security for items/data left in offices like these (preferably lockable doors) and is there usually 24/7 access so I can work at night?

Thanks!

Yes, probably.

It’s certainly a common thing for foreigners to say. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t noise-making activities that are or are not generally accepted in Taiwan. And animatedly talking in the middle of the night, when things are usually quiet, would fall under the category of unacceptable behavior for a lot of people – assuming they could hear you.

Depending on the building you might need to worry more about the people below you than those in surrounding apartments on the same floor. So you’d need to remember to be careful about scooting out chairs, etc., too. Perhaps a rooftop place would work – no neighbors on the sides, and the top of the roof might be more resistant to noise leaking through than regular floors.

Get an apartment (the whole floor to yourself if possible) with an extra room you can alter to make more sound proof. It would be cheaper and more convenient than renting a suitable office space.

@Cranky: Yeah, I had a feeling that might be so, especially since I’d be some random neighbor yammering away in English all night.

@Louis: I thought about that, it seems doable, possibly if I were to put down a few layers of thick rugs.

Maybe a combination of the ideas; a rooftop apartment with several rugs and carpeting providing sound dampening.

Thanks!

[quote=“skoster”]@Cranky: Yeah, I had a feeling that might be so, especially since I’d be some random neighbor yammering away in English all night.

@Louis: I thought about that, it seems doable, possibly if I were to put down a few layers of thick rugs.

Maybe a combination of the ideas; a rooftop apartment with several rugs and carpeting providing sound dampening.

Thanks![/quote]

Even if you rent office space, there will probably be someone living above you. There are many office on the first floors of building with people living above you.

The real concern is the people below you hearing the noise at night through the floor.

You could try to sound proof one room with thick carpet, acoustic foam, some of those locking foam blocks, and maybe some insulation foam if they sell it here.

Definetively a home office. You could find a real solid place with concrete walls -which are more abundant than paper thin walls ones, which are the ones usually in student compunds/6 rooms out of a single family apartment kind of setup, where YOU won’t be.

Something like this top floor:
rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1827867.html

Since you have no problems commuting, how about a nice, separate house in the mountains of Xindian? Comfy, amenities abound, clean air… and no nieghbors to bother with nightly activities.
rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-1849520.html