NIH eligible after 3 months?

Morning all.

I saw somewhere a visa offering that would allow NIH after 3 months not the 6 I’m being told (or 4 months that I’ve seen in older posts on this site).

I’m desperately trying to find the 3 month quote. I’m on a JFVC. Wife is a TW government employee. Sorry if this is an ongoing question but does anyone have anything to add or more up to date?

Thanks!

I think 6 months is correct.

https://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/Content_List.aspx?n=C88B41A4EAB5E692&topn=778856C209BCE527

1 Like

You may be thinking of the changes suggested in the draft of the New Economic Migration Act, which is still under discussion and has yet to pass the Legislature. In there, Article 44 says that certain categories of professionals do not need to meet the residence requirements in order to join NHI:

Foreign special professionals, foreign senior professionals and foreign professionals, foreign mid-level technicians, overseas compatriots employed to engage in professional work or mid-level technical work, themselves and their dependent relatives who hold resident certificates, shall participate in National Health Insurance as insured persons, without being subject to the requirement of a full six months of residence in the State prescribed in Article 9 Subparagraph 1 of the National Health Insurance Act.

Additionally, Foreign Special Professionals (eg Gold Card Holders) who have dependents who are disabled are currently exempt from the 6 month waiting period (Article 14 in the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals):

Where a foreign professional is hired to conduct professional work, said person’s spouse andminor children, and children over twenty years old who are unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, having obtained documentary proof of residence, shall participate in National Health Insurance as insured persons, without being subject to the requirement of a full six months of residence in the State prescribed in Article 9 Subparagraph 1 ofthe National Health Insurance Act.

To make it clear, employees (both of foreigners and locals) can join nhi without waiting for 6 months through their companies. So, if you are employed, you shall join NHI.

Dependants of foreign professionals can join NHI through their sponsors’ companies, when they get ARC without waiting for 6 months.

Foreign spouses of taiwanese should wait for 6 months.

2 Likes