Nikon D600 vs. D7100

My trusty D300 is on its last legs after serving me so well for such a long time, and now it’s time to consider my options. Obviously I’d rather get the D600 as it’s truly a pro-level camera. (I don’t take pictures for a living, but I used to take a lot of photos for my job when I was a reporter, and I expect I’ll have similar requirements in the future.) The only thing is I’d have to buy a whole set of full-frame lenses for it… so the $2000 camera would cost a lot, lot more than that.

Should I just settle for a D7100 instead? I can’t help but feel like this is a downgrade from the D300, but at half the price of the D600 and no need to switch out lenses, it’s seeming a lot more appealing to my unemployed self.

The D600 only has a few advantages over the D7100. The main difference is obviously full frame, some of the others are less noise at higher ISOs, slighlty better image quality and color depth. The D7100 on the other hand has a larger LCD, faster max shutter, faster continuous shutter.

Unless you shoot big landscapes or really low light stuff, the D7100 should suffice. A large newspaper in the US recently closed it’s entire photo department, laying off 30 people, because it believes that a reporter with an iPhone is all that’s needed picture-wise. That’s becoming more of a trend, so I think even for reporting work a D7100 should be more than enough.

You may want to check out the used camera stores near Guanghua area in Taipei if you do decide to go the D600. You should be able to grab a lens or two there cheaper than buying new.

Interestingly that is exactly what I was thinking about when I posted this thread. Some arrogant part of me can’t get past the fact that the D7100 is labeled “mid-range” instead of “semi-pro,” though, even if Nikon insists is “the best DX can get” or something like that. Well, for practical reasons, I’m leaning D7100, but can’t afford either right now… >_>

Leave DSLR behind, and buy a Fuji X Pro 1 assuming you need to changes lenses or need a zoom lens. I haven’t had my D7000 out of the bag since I bought my X100s. Just something to think about…here are a couple links…the first one is entertaining and worth the read even if you think I’m high…the second one is a bit more practical follow-up.

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-review-a-camera-walks-into-a-bar/

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-follow-up-review-life-without-dslrs/

I actually just bought my first point-and-shoot in I think 5 years, the Fuji X20, and wow is it a great camera. It’s very nice – exceptional, even – for little trips into the city where I may catch an opportune shot or two. But it is no SLR.

My SLR served me very well when I was working in radio and could take news-worthy photos for our website, blog, and newsletter. Where my X20 really falls behind is the autofocus speed and the roundabout way of access some manual settings, particularly metering and selecting the focal point. Looking through the X20’s viewfinder doesn’t show me any info on what I’m focusing on, and looking at the display LCD means a bit of lag that could cause me to miss a photo. So while I love this camera, I’d still like to have that SLR handy for performance and all the buttons it’s got on top.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]My trusty D300 is on its last legs after serving me so well for such a long time, and now it’s time to consider my options. Obviously I’d rather get the D600 as it’s truly a pro-level camera. (I don’t take pictures for a living, but I used to take a lot of photos for my job when I was a reporter, and I expect I’ll have similar requirements in the future.) The only thing is I’d have to buy a whole set of full-frame lenses for it… so the $2000 camera would cost a lot, lot more than that.

Should I just settle for a D7100 instead? I can’t help but feel like this is a downgrade from the D300, but at half the price of the D600 and no need to switch out lenses, it’s seeming a lot more appealing to my unemployed self.[/quote]

I think your irrational FF lust is causing you to significantly underrate the D7100. I’m not a Nikon guy but it should be a significant upgrade from the D300.

I don’t think I will upgrade from my Pentax K5 (same sensor as the D7000 I think). FF might be great but I’m not getting paid for photos and you can take some great photos with APSC. It’s also less bulky so I take it more places although I’m not taking many photos right now.

What’s a good camera for a beginner? I’ve always been interested but just never had the money to get a good camera (Now I do). I usually just take them by my phone’s camera… Haven’t got a clue about the lenses et al so I’m a complete noob :stuck_out_tongue:
Any recommendations? I think a second hand one would be a good start

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]I actually just bought my first point-and-shoot in I think 5 years, the Fuji X20, and wow is it a great camera. It’s very nice – exceptional, even – for little trips into the city where I may catch an opportune shot or two. But it is no SLR.

My SLR served me very well when I was working in radio and could take news-worthy photos for our website, blog, and newsletter. Where my X20 really falls behind is the autofocus speed and the roundabout way of access some manual settings, particularly metering and selecting the focal point. Looking through the X20’s viewfinder doesn’t show me any info on what I’m focusing on, and looking at the display LCD means a bit of lag that could cause me to miss a photo. So while I love this camera, I’d still like to have that SLR handy for performance and all the buttons it’s got on top.[/quote]

Ok, well, folks are doing very serious “new-worthy” and major professional work with the X-Pro 1, and yes the X20 is a great camera but they aren’t really in the same league. I think most of your concerns go away with the X-Pro 1 unless unless you need really fast glass for sports and the like. That said, the D7100 is what I’d choosing between that and the 600.

[quote=“hs172”]What’s a good camera for a beginner? I’ve always been interested but just never had the money to get a good camera (Now I do). I usually just take them by my phone’s camera… Haven’t got a clue about the lenses et al so I’m a complete noob :stuck_out_tongue:
Any recommendations? I think a second hand one would be a good start[/quote]

Well that’s sort of off topic, but my answer has been basically given to me – D7100 it is – so no hurt feelings. :smiley:

If you’re talking about a DSLR, I say you can’t go wrong with an entry-level kit from Canon (1100D) or Nikon (D3200). The difference at this level is pretty minor, so it’s more about which you think looks nicer and which menu system you find more intuitive. :2cents:

[quote=“Hokwongwei”][quote=“hs172”]What’s a good camera for a beginner? I’ve always been interested but just never had the money to get a good camera (Now I do). I usually just take them by my phone’s camera… Haven’t got a clue about the lenses et al so I’m a complete noob :stuck_out_tongue:
Any recommendations? I think a second hand one would be a good start[/quote]

Well that’s sort of off topic, but my answer has been basically given to me – D7100 it is – so no hurt feelings. :smiley:

If you’re talking about a DSLR, I say you can’t go wrong with an entry-level kit from Canon (1100D) or Nikon (D3200). The difference at this level is pretty minor, so it’s more about which you think looks nicer and which menu system you find more intuitive. :2cents:[/quote]

Sorry! I realized that after I posted. Oh well you knoww just trying to hog the lime light :blush:

Thanks for the recommendation though.

(runs off to google them)

Just decide on a budget, go to a camera store and try all that fit in the budget. Buy the one that feels best in your hands, has the easiest menu system. Quality wise, they’re all mostly the same.