Nikon D90 DSLR - with HD movie mode

I can understand why some might think of video mode on an SLR as an anathema. When flickr introduced video I was also very sceptical thinking it would end up filled with C-R-A-P like YouTube. However, I think flickr’s idea of promoting the long photo is a good one. It is using the digital medium to express something that can’t be expressed in a static image.

On the sample movie page of the D90 I think the video of the spinning turntable with people dancing in the background is a good example of what is meant by the “long photo”. Now that digital photography has become ubiquitous most of the photos taken only ever exist as electrons on a screen. This is just taking it another step further. It is neither traditional photography nor videography.

Sure if want to make a real movie then buy a real video camera, but if you just want to make a “long photo” then the D90 offers some very interesting possibilities.

It’s not a ‘long photo’ it’s a short video … what words are people going to invent to be able to sell a gadget?

Short video, long photo, what does it matter? Most videos that people actually watch these days are on Flickr or you tube, so this new thing just sounds like its for people who post there and want something a little better than their existing point and shoot. And it’ll probably take better video, but then, who else other than the owner will really give a shit? Its for watching moving pictures in a 2"x3" box, after all.

There are pages and pages of video vs. photography debates on the flickr forums from when they decided to allow video. I agree that the wording “long photo” is bogus; video is video, after all, but I can also relate to the kind of videos they’re talking about, i.e. short, artful, abstract clips that portray moments of beauty. I even have a few such videos up myself, even though I didn’t like the idea at first.

When I go traveling I like to take pictures as well as video footage to make little travel videos, so it would be nice to have a camera that does both. Might be kind of a pain to have to haul out the DSLR for every video instead of my little 800IS, though.

David Pogue’s review.
He sounds more excited than me. And he’s had his hands on one.

Sample imgages and 2 movies: Nikon D90 Preview Samples Gallery

I think it’s too pricey. I agree that Nikon has some offers right now that are way better than what Canon has. But they have one significant gap. When I saw this announcement I thought daaaaaamn, I shouldn’t have bought that 450D. But then I saw the price. This is not entry level stuff. Below the level of the D90 Nikon is whopped big time by Canon when it comes to noise.

Being a replacement for the D80 it does fit nicely into their line-up and probably targets the “advanced amateur” rather than the entry-level buyer, so I disagree that it is too pricey. The Canon cameras are however IMO very good, too.

Hard to make a decision actually for a new buyer and in the end it’s probably not so much the quality & price that makes the difference (because they are often somewhat equal) but the [latest] features on offer, regardless if they are necessary or just nice-to-have. The D90 offers more than what I need, and with the Nikon D80 and Canon 40D on sale it’s hard to justify the premium, not to mention that I was seriously considering the D60 & 1000D which are entry level. I have a DV cam that I used to carry with me in addition to a SLR but it was just a hassle in the end and I didn’t use it that often, so the movie mode comes in handy. Now that the DV cam is broken and since I have been looking around for a DSLR for quite a while it’s finally time to take the plunge. I also hope that going a bit more upmarket means it will last longer, i.e. I won’t “need” to upgrade soon.

[quote=“Rascal”]Being a replacement for the D80 it does fit nicely into their line-up and probably targets the “advanced amateur” rather than the entry-level buyer, so I disagree that it is too pricey.[/quote]True, I guess it’s more fair to say that they have a gap in their line-up. The D60 cannot compete with the 450D in terms of noise and some other features but the D90 is way better than the 450D.

I’d have guessed the D90 is more of an indirect competitor to the 50D.

It’s hard to directly compare with all the new models coming out that “beat” their predecessor and thus don’t compare anymore to the predecessor’s direct competitor either but if I had to make a list of the current models it would probably look like this (my personal favorites in bold where a direct comparision is done):

D60 vs 1000D
450D
D90 vs 40D
50D

I wouldn’t compare the D90 to the 50D as the latter is around 30% more expensive and more semi-pro than “advanced amateur” IMHO, further it may actually not replace the 40D but rather slot in between the 40D and 5D; the 40D isn’t that old, does already offer live view and with the current pricing compares IMHO best to the D90, though of course being newer the D90 does have an advantage.

Anyhow, either make would be a good choice and unless you are a new buyer the decision will perhaps mostly be influenced by which make’s lenses and other accessories you already have, not which model has the “best” features at this point in time as this changes constantly.

Well, it looks like Canon have another body about to be announced. Teaser ads on both Canon US and Canon UK websites. I’m betting this’ll be the 5D replacement - it’s rumored to be 21 Megapixels, ISO 50-12800, DIGIC IV, HD Video Recording with estimated street price: US$2300.

Yep, looks like it. And Sony just announced the DSLR-A900, with a 24 Megapixels full-frame sensor. dpreview.com has a preview online.

Both are in quite a different league than the D90 though.

And the great thing about the Canon at US$2300 is it costs less than I’m owed for some photos I recently did for an Italian magazine - it’d be very tempting if it were available around the time the money I’m owed arrives in my bank account.

Canon’s 5D mark II has been announced. Full-frame, 21mp, HD movie etc. More here

Nice!

It’s US$2699, actually, but damn, I need to find gigs like that!

Review of the D90 out now: http://dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d90-review/index.shtml

The new 5D seems wicked BTW! But it’s a bit hard to justify that price tag when you’re not professional.

D90 is now available in Hong Kong, see here for prices. The package containing D90 kit (body + 18-105mm lens), bag, 4GB card w/ reader, spare battery and some small accessories looks tempting.

I shall have one before end of the week. :slight_smile:

Those RED camera’s are no joke. I’ve been looking into it since I discovered it this summer and all I can say about them is :pray: Lord send me some money ASAP…