Ninja 250

Not sure if this has been touched on since I didn’t read all 8 pages but since your In Taiwan Highly consider 2 other bikes

The screaming honda hornet 15000rpm redline 40hp lightweight has the biggest rear tire of all 250s about the same size as the 600cc
Best part- same price secondhand as a secondhand ninja

A Honda NSR 2 stroke 250cc 45hp stock but can achieve 70hp with a 300cc big bore
Best part- same price secondhand as a secondhand ninja

I owned a ninja 250cc before and put 30000kms on it All I got to say is the bike was real and fun but wasn’t real fun and given its 30hp output and price it would be my LAST choice in Taiwan along with the newer CBR 250cc any day of the week.

Parts are still supplied by the factory for the hornet 250cc 4cyl
and there are still plenty of parts floating around for the nsr250cc

^ Thanks for your post. I bought a Ninja 250 back in August and haven’t regretted it for a moment. I’ve put 7,000km on it since then, and I still feel as excited as a child on Christmas morning every time I set off into the mountains for a day ride :slight_smile:

Update: Last week, I had some essential work completed at Kaohsiung’s excellent Kawasaki dealership on Jiuru 1st Road. First off, a new RK chain and sprocket, which has made gearchanges much slicker and smoother. Also, after 11,000km, my Sava/Bridgestone tire combo was due for replacement. Getting new tires was rather more difficult than I had anticipated - basically, it turned out that most of my first choices were unavailable, especially for the rear (Bridgestone BT016, Bridgestone S20, Michelin Pilot Sport). I guess that Ninja 250-sized rims are rare in Taiwan, or at least in Kaohsiung, and tire supply is accordingly limited.

The choices I was offered were:

Bridgestone BT003RS, 110/70 front, 140/70 rear. Sticky tires, great grip in the dry, not ideal for commuting as relatively short-lived (4,000 - 5,000km).

Bridgestone S20 110/70 front, Bridgestone BT39 150/70 rear. I didn’t like the fact that this combined a radial front tire and a bias ply rear - everything I had read online advised against doing this.

My third option were some crappy Dunlop tires, cruiser rather than sport style.

… and that was all. So not a lot of choice. I opted for the BT003’s. I tested them out on a 300km ride through the twisties on Sunday, from Kaohsiung north along the 21 then the 3 to Yujing, and followed the 3 around Tsengwen reservoir before taking the 172 then the 175 south, looping around the reservoir and re-emerging onto the 3 at Nanxi. It’s no exaggeration to say they have completely transformed the handling of my bike. The grip is amazing, turning in to bends is a lot easier (the old tires were very flattened off), basically they inspire a lot of confidence while riding hard. It didn’t rain so they haven’t had a wet-weather test yet, but there’s not a lot of tread on them so I’m not expecting miracles.

They are likely to be relatively short-lived compared to my old tires, but they’re so enjoyable that I think it will be worth it.

Any riders in the Tainan - Kaohsiung area?

I’m in Kaohsiung, I don’t ride a Ninja but ride a red plate if thats what you mean.

Thank you for all information.

Yeah, I’m in Tainan on a 250, but not much of a riding community here. Paul what’s it like in KH? Community or solo rides?

I’m friends with a few Taiwanese guys that get together most weekends for rides. As for knowing other foreigners that ride big bikes, I only know one guy.

TK1 you ride a 250 in Tainan? Come by The Artful Dodger any night but Tuesday and say hi. I ride with a few other guys in Tainan.