Ninja 650R - my new cheap(ish) big bike

There is a rather long talk about this bike in another thread. But since a few foreigners (and hopefully more in the future) are looking at it…I thought I’d start this thread.

The gist of what’s already been talked about is that in Taiwan right now this is the best “Bang for the Buck” bike you can find. It sells for around 300,000nt <EDIT: around 260k to buy now>. “True” sports bikes cost over 400k for a 600cc.

I’ve been researching the F&$% out of this bike. And it’s all been positive. I found that the fairing has a rattle at certain rpms…and one guy with a defective frame, but that’s about it.

Up until now the best budget sports bike has been the Suzuki SV650. I found a guy who went from the SV to the Ninja and asked him the difference. His reply:

I’m supposed to do the paper work tomorrow, but with this weather who knows when I’ll actually leave the shop with it. It can sit there until I get some dry roads to break it in on. If I’m unsatisfied with the power I can just sell it after a year or two. By then it’ll be paid off and I can use the money I get to get another bike. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

Ahem, why don’t you two get a room? Back on topic… :wink: <edit: since the above two posts are gone…I guess they did get their own room>

Just read some pretty cool stuff. There is a racer guy who owns a few bikes…but he rode the 650R against 600cc AND 1000cc bikes in a race. And he beats some of them…which is so cool.

My next race was the Spec class. Once again, I got the holeshot, looked back a lap later and it was Pat Bushell (BSR) behind me. I was able to keep around a 1 second gap the entire race, with Pat and Sergio Sanchez (Edge Kawasaki) battling for 2nd the whole time. We all crossed the finish line within a second or so with 4th a few seconds back.

I enjoy this because it proves that just because you own a “fast” bike doesn’t mean you’re fast. And just because you have a “slower” bike it doesn’t…etc.

Also people complain about the Ninja’s suspension, but the above racer was using stock suspension. And he pretty much says that the stock shocks are fine for anything other than the higher speed race tracks.

I’m posting this stuff in hopes I can keep MJB, and Ironman still interested in getting one.

amen to that :bravo:

i had a look at the 650 that was in a nearby showroom the other day… personally the looks didn’t do anything for me… sure, it’s not ugly… but nothing made me go WOW…

specs look decent and it looks to make a decent commute bike with some ability for weekend corner carving… comfort seemed ok, but i didn’t get to actually sit on the bike… seat looked to be a fair bit more comfy than the current CBR600F4 (not RR)…

me… wouldn’t take a loan to buy one, but wouldn’t say no to owning one either…

No no, we are still interested, it just looks like I have to pay cash, and that will take a few more paychecks. :frowning: I went down to Hsinchu a couple of weeks ago, and saw a super clean 2004 CB-400 with only 1,800km on it for 180K. I could pay cash for that one, but surprisingly the salesman talked me out of it, and said to hold off for the Kawasaki. He says it’s that much fun to ride.

Ironman will be heading off for a UK bike tour in early May…And guess what he’s going to ride? We’ll have a first hand report on how the beast operates when he gets back.

Congratulations on your purchase…Finally! :slight_smile:

I’ve got an older F3 right now, but tried out my friend’s Kawi 650R. It’s nice and compact, comfortable ergonomics, and a delight to ride. have fun.

[quote=“MJB”]

Congratulations on your purchase…Finally! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yeah…I’m still waiting though. The boss said he’d help me buy it. But the bank wouldn’t lend him any money because he just purchased a 500,000nt bike the month before.

Taiwan banks are just got much stricter this last year on who they lend money to. Borrowing large sums then disappearing was becoming the “norm” for Taiwanese by the way they tell it.

So they had to start the borrowing process over again using the manager’s name (the bigger guy with the long hair). So they said maybe Monday or Tuesday the bike would be mine. But with this rain it doesn’t really matter…I’m actually glad it isn’t sunny and nice…or I’d be frustrated. Nah, I’d rather it be sunny and nice regardless :frowning: .

With regards to the 650R’s looks…I agree it doesn’t do much for me. Very generic looking…almost cheap looking…somehow. Not sure what I can do to make it look better…maybe paint the lower fairing black to begin with.

New update. I phoned them today and it’s been almost a full week since they started the paper work with the bank. The boss seems a bit fed up with the bank as well. So he told me I can just take the bike and pay him monthly payments…without a bank loan of any kind. So the bike is mine! :bravo: Yay!

Monday is a busy day for me. Tuesday isn’t so busy but the chance of rain is higher than today’s…and Wednesday is very busy. So I told them I’d pick it up on Thursday…plus that gives them some time to do a couple of mods…and paint the bike (not all of it…just part)…like I asked them to. I’ll post back here Thursday, if it doesn’t rain…and let you know how it feels.

[quote=“Mordeth”]New update. I phoned them today and it’s been almost a full week since they started the paper work with the bank. The boss seems a bit fed up with the bank as well. So he told me I can just take the bike and pay him monthly payments…without a bank loan of any kind. So the bike is mine! :bravo: Yay!

Monday is a busy day for me. Tuesday isn’t so busy but the chance of rain is higher than today’s…and Wednesday is very busy. So I told them I’d pick it up on Thursday…plus that gives them some time to do a couple of mods…and paint the bike (not all of it…just part)…like I asked them to. I’ll post back here Thursday, if it doesn’t rain…and let you know how it feels.[/quote]

The big question is…why are you already getting parts painted?..are the colors not nice enough?..Are you getting a naked chick painted onto the tank?..or flames?..I would also fear any Taiwanese “artist” going near my brand new fresh out of the box bike with a paint gun!..or

[quote=“skylarkpuma”]

The big question is…why are you already getting parts painted?..are the colors not nice enough?..Are you getting a naked chick painted onto the tank?..or flames?..I would also fear any Taiwanese “artist” going near my brand new fresh out of the box bike with a paint gun!..or[/quote]

Well you can see the bike that I’m getting in the pic above. I don’t like silver…it’s my least favorite colour on vehicles. And I don’t like two toned vehicles…unless it’s red and black. So I’m getting the lower fairing done black to match the rest of the bike. That’s all. A solid black Ninja (other than frame)…I think that’s cool.

I posted this already somewhere. The road looks fantastic, although more like 600 than 1,000cc territory to me. I’ll know in a few weeks.

Turns out the website offer a Ninja. They just don’t actually have Ninja’s.

I’m hoping to rent the Fazer 600 now. Another 30hp won’t hurt up against the 1,000cc bikes some of the others will be riding. I’m also considering the fazer as a second hand purchase option here in Taiwan.

Fazer has some kind of engine reliability problems. Not sure if anybody knows about that.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“skylarkpuma”]

The big question is…why are you already getting parts painted?..are the colors not nice enough?..Are you getting a naked chick painted onto the tank?..or flames?..I would also fear any Taiwanese “artist” going near my brand new fresh out of the box bike with a paint gun!..or[/quote]

Well you can see the bike that I’m getting in the pic above. I don’t like silver…it’s my least favorite colour on vehicles. And I don’t like two toned vehicles…unless it’s red and black. So I’m getting the lower fairing done black to match the rest of the bike. That’s all. A solid black Ninja (other than frame)…I think that’s cool.[/quote]

It’s gonna look nice…but you should consider getting some flames as well! :smiley: …I saw one of these bikes last Sunday at the dealer down here. Looks nice and worth every penny…congrats!

Here’s your bike’s video, Mordeth…surprisingly, it looks quite small, doesn’t look like a big bike…more like RZR or FZR or CBR150

videos.streetfire.net/video/C6FA … 220CC0.htm

Anyway, congratulation on your new bike…BTW, the guy in that video also painted the lower fairing black

Yep, first time I sat on it the first thing that I thought was “Reminds me of an RZR”. Which is probably a good thing.

Yep, first time I sat on it the first thing that I thought was “Reminds me of an RZR”. Which is probably a good thing.[/quote]

I’m not super excited about how it sounds though…I rode the Ninja 500 twin about 11 years ago, loved it’s zippiness, but couldn’t get my head around the noise emanating from the pipes. This sounds exactly the same.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“skylarkpuma”]

Well you can see the bike that I’m getting in the pic above. I don’t like silver…it’s my least favorite colour on vehicles. And I don’t like two toned vehicles…unless it’s red and black. So I’m getting the lower fairing done black to match the rest of the bike. That’s all. A solid black Ninja (other than frame)…I think that’s cool.[/quote]

I’ve heard stories about new owners finding other owners and switching the fairings (e.g. my lower black for your upper grey) so that both owners get matching fairings. maybe that’s an option for you too.

[quote=“MJB”]

I’m not super excited about how it sounds though…I rode the Ninja 500 twin about 11 years ago, loved it’s zippiness, but couldn’t get my head around the noise emanating from the pipes. This sounds exactly the same.[/quote]

One way to look at it is that it sounds like the Ninja 500…another way would be to think it sounds like a V-twin Ducati. Here is another sound clip: arkansasbaja.org/misc/Ninja650R.mpg

Mordeth, u should paint your bike like this…

[/img]

You must be interested in buying one yourself StreetSpec if you’re taking the time to investigate it on the net…am I wrong?

Either that or he has way too much time on his hands for photochopping…

uhm Mordeth, I’m interested in this bike long before you, as I said in the previous thread (“bigger bike” thread I think…I forgot)…but got no cash at this moment, beside my CB’s price keep dropping…hopefully during summer, it will go up a bit…we’ll see…

So, got the bike yet?..well if you’re in taipei this weekend, let me know ok…I want to see it in real life, out n running…I can only see the bike at the dealer now, not moving…but they let me start the engine :smiley:

Oh BTW, the photochopped wasn’t done by me…they are from the other forum