Ninja 650R - my new cheap(ish) big bike

[quote=“StreetSpec”]

Mordeth, got the bike yet?..well if you’re in Taipei this weekend, let me know ok…I want to see it in real life, out n running…I can only see the bike at the dealer now, not moving…but they let me start the engine :smiley:[/quote]

Interesting that you mention that…I told the dealership in Chung-Li no less than 4 times…that if they start the bike for anyone…I’m not buying it. Dealerships want to show people what a new bike sounds like…but by the time someone buys the bike…how many cold starts has it had? And the worst thing for breaking in an engine is letting it idle…or revving it up without a load on it.

Anyway…mines never been started. They’ll put the battery in it tomorrow morning…and I’ll pull out of the shop…onto the nearest “safe” road…and bring it up to redline. I’ll post tomorrow around noon and let you guys know what I think of it.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“StreetSpec”]

Mordeth, got the bike yet?..well if you’re in Taipei this weekend, let me know ok…I want to see it in real life, out n running…I can only see the bike at the dealer now, not moving…but they let me start the engine :smiley:[/quote]

Interesting that you mention that…I told the dealership in Chung-Li (Zhongli) no less than 4 times…that if they start the bike for anyone…I’m not buying it. Dealerships want to show people what a new bike sounds like…but by the time someone buys the bike…how many cold starts has it had? And the worst thing for breaking in an engine is letting it idle…or revving it up without a load on it.

Anyway…mines never been started. They’ll put the battery in it tomorrow morning…and I’ll pull out of the shop…onto the nearest “safe” road…and bring it up to redline. I’ll post tomorrow around noon and let you guys know what I think of it.[/quote]

Well you know dealers, they’ll do almost anything to attrack you to buy the bike…anyway, let see what u think about the bike…up to now, I only hear good thing about this bike…well except for one case of broken frame and fairing buzz

[quote=“StreetSpec”]

Well you know dealers, they’ll do almost anything to attrack you to buy the bike…anyway, let see what u think about the bike…up to now, I only hear good thing about this bike…well except for one case of broken frame and fairing buzz[/quote]

Yeah, I guess you’ve seen me on that forum as well by now…the buzz can be fixed easily enough…and I’ve only heard of the one frame breaking. Other than one that crashed…but it was a good crash…and the frame bent…didn’t really break…which bodes well for kawasucky.

Plus you’ve already got guys racing them with good results…check out this one done up for racing…

I got her!

I just wrote about my first ride in the 650R forum. So I’m just going to copy and paste that here:

Another “First Ride” post:

I just got the bike today. I’ve owned about a dozen bikes in my time…all street or sport bikes. My last bike was a 2004 CBR 600RR.

So what do I think of the Ninja? Well, I’ve read all the reveiws…so I knew what to expect and for the most part it’s what I expected. Coming from a faster bike…there weren’t many “thrills” to be had on my first ride.

The power is lower the RPM range…this will take some getting used to. I’m used to just holding the throttle open until it’s in the red and then shifting…this bike is quicker by not letting the RPMs get that high.

It is very quick off the start. I’m guessing that due to the gearing. On my CBR first gear would take me to over 100kph, on the Ninja it’s around 30mph. So I’d guess that from 0-60kph the Ninja might be quicker than the CBR. And if you’re riding in the city…then that’s plenty fast enough.

Incase you haven’t figured out by now. I did the “hard break-in” method. Meaning I rode the hell out of the bike…right off the bat. I did two wheelies (low ones) with less than 20 miles on the odometer.

You think I’m crazy/stupid? If you look at some of the “break in” threads on this forum you’ll find that quite a few of the experienced riders/mechanics on here recommend the “hard break-in”. You can read more about "hard break-in here: mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm . Plus I’ve babied lots of my bikes in the past…and usually had disapointing results…so time to try the “other” way.

Anyway, it was kinda neat breaking it in like this…I went on a large empty road and did a 10 mile circle. I wanted to do 20 miles and then change the oil…so I did another circle. I noticed more power during the 2nd circle in comparison to the first. I could feel the bikes hp rising (believe it or not). I used a wire brush to scrub the tires to make them less slippery (new tires shouldn’t be ridden hard) and I took it very easy on the corners. I pretty much did constant 1/4 mile sprints…for 20 miles.
I found that when I acclerated away from a green light…I’d be doing between 140 and 160 kph in no time at all.

I can’t say too much about the handling…as it was mostly straight riding. I’ll take it to the mountains this weekend and post back here.

And I felt that the mirrors…were fine. Much better than my CBR’s in fact.

Oh, and I have some pics for you guys, not great quality…I took them with my phone:

This is the boss of the shop who went out of his way to help a foriegner buy a bike from him.

Here you can see my low handle bars that I had put on before even leaving the shop.

Here are some horns I had put on after riding and hearing how quite the stock horns are.

I also got them to paint the lower fairing black. But it wasn’t ready yet so I’ll go back there later today and post some pics of the whole bike later…I’m also going to get some pin striping on the wheels.

For a “budget” bike…it doesn’t feel very “budget”. :slight_smile:

Congrats dude…hope your break-in theory pays off…ride safe!

Congrats Mordeth…now, which mountain will you be riding this weekend? :smiley:

You and me both, brother. There’s one guy who says everyone he knows who does the “hard break-in” their bikes smoke after 1,500 miles :astonished: . So check with me in a couple of months and see if I’m doing an engine rebuild. :noway:

In general I ride “by the mountains” and not “in the mountains”. I had a close call with some idiots on big bikes taking blind corners in the oncoming lane…to get the best “line” :loco: …fucking idiotic morons. Too many retards with big bikes…and they all flock to the twisty mountain roads…which is stupid because you’re lucky if you hit over 100km/hr on those roads and half these guys are riding Hayabusas :laughing: .

I usually just ride up and down the 3…with short trips into the mountains…like that 118 or 116 road…I forget which. Also the 7 “squiggle” road is nice…it starts in San-Xia.

Sometimes I do the coastal road…lot of cameras on that road though. I still try and get my knee down. Guys in the mountain do it at 60-80km/hr on tight corners…I’m doing it at much higher speeds on long sweeping bends…same concept though.

EDIT: Took it to work last night. My place of work is right beside the mountians.

So I went to work an hour early and toyed around with some aggresive riding near my work…at one point there was a group of scooters passing a car…I’m not going to say how I passed them all…but it was fun.
And I find that I can pass people in almost any gear. With the CBR I usually needed to down shift a gear (or two) to bring the RPMs up before I could pass.

Well done that man… :bravo: … welcome back to the “big” bike brigade… It must feel great, your first new bike ever and that after a long lay off… now llet’s hope the weather co-operates so you can get out and use it…

it seems more Forumosans are getting bigger displacement bikes by the day… :smiley:

Hello boys and girls. Just got back from a “real” ride…with high speed corners, close calls, and flying cats.

Went for a ride with a ZX-6r, and a ZX-10R…which are two very fast “race” bikes. The guy on the 6r has a new front tire and said he was taking it easy. The guy on the liter bike had no such excuses and is a very experienced rider. He’s even done track days in Japan and China…and is known by many to be “very fast”.

I’m not going to brag and go into too much detail…but let’s just say I didn’t have any problems keeping up with them :smiley: .

The guy on the 6r commented that the acceleration on my 650r is great. He said that when we were both cruising at a easy pace…and I’d open the throttle…he’d have to drop down two gears to try and keep up…and while he’s shifting…I’m getting farther away.

I had a little fear about riding with true “race” bikes since the 650r is classified as a “budget” or “begginers” bike…but I had a great time…and the bike performed beautifully. :bravo:

[quote=“Mordeth”]Hello boys and girls. Just got back from a “real” ride…with high speed corners, close calls, and flying cats.

Went for a ride with a ZX-6r, and a ZX-10R…which are two very fast “race” bikes. The guy on the 6r has a new front tire and said he was taking it easy. The guy on the liter bike had no such excuses and is a very experienced rider. He’s even done track days in Japan and China…and is known by many to be “very fast”.

I’m not going to brag and go into too much detail…but let’s just say I didn’t have any problems keeping up with them :smiley: .

The guy on the 6r commented that the acceleration on my 650r is great. He said that when we were both cruising at a easy pace…and I’d open the throttle…he’d have to drop down two gears to try and keep up…and while he’s shifting…I’m getting farther away.

I had a little fear about riding with true “race” bikes since the 650r is classified as a “budget” or “begginers” bike…but I had a great time…and the bike performed beautifully. :bravo:[/quote]

Dude, gald to know the bike performed well, despite your buddies not “performing” too well themselves on full on sportbikes…

[quote=“skylarkpuma”]

Dude, gald to know the bike performed well, despite your buddies not “performing” too well themselves on full on sportbikes… [/quote]

I heard 2nd hand from one of their buddies that they said they were “going slow”. But if the first guy was going slow…then why did we lose the other rider completely? We were stopped for a good minute or two before he caught up with us.

It’s possible they were going easy on me…we’ll see. I’ll go for a solo ride tomorrow…and see if I can stir up a few bee nests.

Here is a pic with the black lowers and rim tape:

Here’s a stock pic for comparison:

Too squidly now? Or do you think it’s an improvment, skylark? (no sarcasm intended…honest question)

Congrats on the new bike Mordeth. Paint job looks great!

I just got back from meeting Mordeth in Kuanshi and taking his Ninja out for a romp.

First, I have to say thanks to Mordeth for letting me try his less than one week old machine with no questions asked, even after I stalled it twice pulling out of a gas station. :homer: :notworthy:

Ok, once the laughter (That thankfully I didn’t hear) died down, I regained my compsure and got out onto the open road. First impressions:

It’s quick…And has usable power from 3 grand right up.

It’s friendly, and invites the rider to explore; right now. Within 2km’s I was playing a bit in the corners and marvelling at the user-friendly power and smoothness. It wasn’t intimidating at all. A few primeval screams later and I let it run out to 6k, while doing some side to side flicking. Considering I haven’t owned anything over 20bhp in two decades, this bike felt light, stable, and all day comfortable. Mordeth earlier was playing a bit with a liter bike, and while the bigger machine might have been faster on a long straight, it certainly wasn’t as quick or in-your-face-sorry bud, I’m already in my powerband like the Ninja. In the narrow mountain twisties of Taiwan, this bike is going to shock the hell out of it’s more expensive sportbike counterparts.

The fairing rattles a bit, but rubber grommets will take care of this. Brakes had excellent feel.

Even with the lighter preload setting (I’m slightly larger than Mordeth) the bike felt well planted in the rear.

I’m sold.

Mordeth, thank you so much for giving me my Sunday rush. River swimming yesterday, and breakneck power today…Lordy, it’s been a good weekend :smiley:

[quote=“MJB”]Even with the lighter preload setting [color=cyan](I’m slightly larger than Mordeth)[/color] the bike felt well planted in the rear.
[/quote]

Like a bus is slightly bigger than a VW beetle.

Wish I could have the Ninja in England instead of the Fazer.

I’ll love or hate the Fazer in a few weeks and I’ll report on it then and compare with your new Ninja if you’ve forgiven me for this post?

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“MJB”]Even with the lighter preload setting [color=cyan](I’m slightly larger than Mordeth)[/color] the bike felt well planted in the rear.
[/quote]

Like a bus is slightly bigger than a VW beetle. [/quote]

I was going to say something along those same lines as well…haha.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“skylarkpuma”]

Dude, gald to know the bike performed well, despite your buddies not “performing” too well themselves on full on sportbikes… [/quote]

I heard 2nd hand from one of their buddies that they said they were “going slow”. But if the first guy was going slow…then why did we lose the other rider completely? We were stopped for a good minute or two before he caught up with us.

It’s possible they were going easy on me…we’ll see. I’ll go for a solo ride tomorrow…and see if I can stir up a few bee nests.

Here is a pic with the black lowers and rim tape:

Here’s a stock pic for comparison:

Too squidly now? Or do you think it’s an improvment, skylark? (no sarcasm intended…honest question)[/quote]

Honestly…It looks sweet dude!..The all black fairings + the red frame + rim tape = good looks and tasteful!..(much better than flames :wink: )

If I could just say I can see why they went silver in the first place would it rain on the parade.

The silver forms a roughly trianglular shape. The black forms a larger triangle and the red swing arm and front fork form another one.

The black break in that pattern looks like you’re waiting for the correct part to come from the dealer.

Just my take on this. Beauty is in the eye of the owner.

[quote=“Ironman”]If I could just say I can see why they went silver in the first place would it rain on the parade.

The silver forms a roughly trianglular shape. The black forms a larger triangle and the red swing arm and front fork form another one.

The black break in that pattern looks like you’re waiting for the correct part to come from the dealer.

Just my take on this. Beauty is in the eye of the owner.[/quote]

Well, the only thing less visible than a black or silver vehicle is a black and silver vehicle.

They’ve done studies and one solid color is easier to see than two. And you know me…I’m all about saftey! :wink:

[quote=“Ironman”]
Like a bus is slightly bigger than a VW beetle.

Wish I could have the Ninja in England instead of the Fazer.

I’ll love or hate the Fazer in a few weeks and I’ll report on it then and compare with your new Ninja if you’ve forgiven me for this post?[/quote]

You are forgiven…But, I’ve yet to hear much good about the Fazer, and and can’t see for the life of me how you’d daily be able to use the powerband that’s only available above 10,000rpm’s.

I can’t stress enough how user friendly the power is on the Ninja. Even at loping rpm’s the Ninja could get up and scoot, something that would have the Fazer bucking and kicking before getting it’s act together.

I didn’t even like the way it sounds…

Until it’s underneath you.

I didn’t kick it completely into its powerband (not my bike) but it has a lovely little growl when it gets moving that is much more unique sounding than your typical in-line four.

The day before I’d ridden up behind Shrmen dam, past San Ming on my way to my favorite swimming holes…The road was fairly crowded with cars and big bikes. In front of me for awhile was a CBR 600 and as I watched him pick his way through the pack, I realized that he was in first frigging gear the whole time!

PS: Mordeth made a new friend today…The guy is worth meeting, right down to the color of his undershorts because that’s all he’ll be wearing. If you really want to see a wild combination of Alcoholism and mental illness, might I recommend the Intersection in Kuanshi where provincial highway 3 and the 118 meet. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“MJB”]I can’t stress enough how user friendly the power is on the Ninja. Even at loping rpm’s the Ninja could get up and scoot, something that would have the Fazer bucking and kicking before getting it’s act together. [/quote]Sounds like a lot of fun. A friendly powerband would be one of my top 3 requirements if I were buying a big bike. (The other two would be reasonable comfort, and responsive steering.)

[quote=“MJB”]I didn’t kick it completely into its powerband (not my bike)[/quote]Hmmm, that’s got me thinking about the etiquette of riding someone else’s bike. I think I kicked your RZR pretty comprehensively into its powerband, early that Sunday morning, to the surprise of your neighbours, right?

Well, for what it’s worth you’re quite welcome to thrash the nuts off my BWS when we meet.

Ironman, I think you’ll be OK in England. The roads aren’t generally as cramped (traffic, width, curves) as they are here so I imagine you’ll have fun on the FZR. Do take it easy at first though.