Nirvana

I woke up not too long ago after listenin to Niravana Live(Unplugged) in New York. I personally think this is one of the all time best albums ever to be produced by a modern day artist.

I’d like to see how people differ on Nirvana and their message. I’d like to see how people would interperet them as suicidal nonsense to homegrown poets.

I personally see Nirvana (Kurt Cobian) as genius. I loved them to no end but I have yet to engage in a debate regarding their roots.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind that I have deep passion for Grundge and any music that would follow thier rule of thumb. But I will be open to an educated feeling.

P’z

M0NSTER.

ps: This is poetry at it’s finest in the early 90’s…I seriously wonder how many people can follow. This music can be followed into modern day house music and I truly think this is where some of the top DJ’s found their roots…dispute me…I’m lookin for a root.

Nirvana was the only band that could drag me away from the Dead when I was in college. They were the only other band that I wanted to see live.

Cobain was a great songwriter without doubt.

I’m not like them
But I can pretend.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Nirvana was the only band that could drag me away from the Dead when I was in college. They were the only other band that I wanted to see live.

Cobain was a great songwriter without doubt.

I’m not like them
But I can pretend.[/quote]

I’m a dead head but I won’t admit to it.

Nirvana was something else. I could go on about particular moments through highschool but they wouldn’t be appreicated the same way. Nirvana were poets and I’m not going to sit here and fluff it up…I cried when he finally took that round in his face.

Nirvana was beautiful and I’m truly lookin for testimonials about how they helped…or didn’t… because I loved them and I can stand here and say that nothing out of the ordinary can breeze by me and their interpretation.

I really loved these guys.

[quote=“M0NSTER”]I woke up not too long ago after listenin to Niravana Live(Unplugged) in New York. I personally think this is one of the all time best albums ever to be produced by a modern day artist.
[/quote]

I agree. I could listen to that album all day and not be bored.

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“M0NSTER”]I woke up not too long ago after listenin to Niravana Live(Unplugged) in New York. I personally think this is one of the all time best albums ever to be produced by a modern day artist.
[/quote]

I agree. I could listen to that album all day and not be bored.[/quote]

Thank You Durins.

I often sing this song on my way to work. Bowie’s version was good but Nirvana made the song great…

We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when
Although I wasn

[quote=“Durins Bane”]I often sing this song on my way to work. Bowie’s version was good but Nirvana made the song great…

We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when
Although I wasn

I don’t want to go too deeply without some people who can truly acknoledge Kurt.

This music is tough to let go of. The music is about his GF…and his family life. It’s extremely deep and I’m not sure as to how to express it. I guess that’s why Grundge took a dive. It was too much therapy for one generation.

Grundge = Raw… and beautiful. Do you like Poetry?

Honestly speaking, I detest poetry. Though I am probably a lesser person because of that.

I also detest theater…it rots your brain…much like TV.

Honestly speaking, I detest poetry. Though I am probably a lesser person because of that.

I also detest theater…it rots your brain…much like TV.[/quote]

If you can understand what Kurt is screamin at you…and you can handle it then I would consider you a poet. His music is beautiful yet rough. It takes someone with patience and a tonne of rage to understand him. He’s so full of love that it flows out of his ears. I’d love to talk to his drummer. Courtney love would get my cock across her face before I’d say BOO to her. Meh…before i get into my analysis, I want to hear asbout the average love for Nirvana.

I remembetr skippin school just to lay there on a matress in a dark basement just to puff a fat spliff and listen to them when I was a teenager and I was lucky to see them live in Toronto before they hit it big. I’ve always loved grundge/folk.

[quote=“M0NSTER”]
If you can understand what Kurt is screamin at you…and you can handle it then I would consider you a poet.[/quote]

I always figured that I was some sort of weirdo or something. :laughing:

One of my favourite bands ever, without a doubt. Kurt was a songwriting genius. The lyrics are often over-interpreted and overanalysed, I think, but are nonetheless sublime examples of dark poetry. Watch the documentary (readily available in Taiwan) about the making of Nevermind - fascinating stuff. Whenever I see a music mag with articles about Nirvana, I always buy it.

I like Unplugged a lot, I mean, the intensity of Kurt’ voice and his amazing accoustic renditions of both Nirvana’s own songs as well as the covers he does are all just fantastic, but I much prefer the distortion, rocking out, and screaming of Nevermind and In Utero.

I know it’s unfashionable to say it, but Nevermind is definitely my favourite album. A lot of people say they think it sucks, but like many incredible albums, that’s pretty much because they got into it when it was at its heyday, and just basically heard it played to death. But just because you heard something get overplayed on every radio station from here to Timbuktu, doesn’t mean that it’s not a milestone, revolutionary mind-blowing piece of art. Which is honestly what I think Nevermind was.
I only got into it in the late 90’s, in my mid-teens (I was 9 years old at the time Nevermind came out, and listening to “Do The Bartman” on repeat at the time) and didn’t know jack about music. Nevermind, and “Smash” by the Offspring were what really got me into one of my major life passions - rock music.

Here’s to a great band. :notworthy: Nirvana!

I’m with trapjaw on this one. I think “Nevermind” is a masterpeice. Every song on it is worth hearing again. It was a big influence for a period of my life. The other Nirvana albums I could leave. Especially “unplugged”.

Cobain was certainly a good songwriter and certainly a troubled soul. I’m not the kind of person to idolize a man, but what HE DID with his life. I mean his skills. I admire talent.

People tend to overanalize Nirvana. It was an innovative rock/grunge/whatever band, fer Gawdzake!.

I wonder what people said about “The Jimi Hendrix Experience” back in the day. Another 3 piece that changed the face of music.

Excuse me while I find my Kazoo and hum along to “crosstown traffic.”

Agreed, I still think Bleach is a better record though. The sound is more energetic, lively and fun. I like the innocence of that first record, the pop influences and the angst. No doubt, Nevermind was a wonderful record, but just too polished for me. This kind of music shouldn’t have a million dollar production. It should be hot, dirty and raw.

Having said that though, I really love first albums - generally they are not too over-produced and the talent can shine through. I’m thinking “Kill 'em all” - “High Voltage” “Are you experienced?” Oh yes, and if there ever was a brilliant debut “Ten”.

I would love to hear a damn fine debut along these lines, but nowdays the industry seems to be geared more to image, shiny nice sounds and pretty boys…or am I getting old?

I really miss those Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam days…

and Pantera…Sepultura…awww.

There is music around…but it doesn’t have the same feel. I was quite a tad obsessed with both Kurt and Courtney at that time…being a troubled teen and all!

Nevermind wasn’t exactly million dollar production - it definitely cost more to produce than Bleach, but was still not mainstream million dollar production. It was this album that made a million after it was released - and the success wtook everyone by surprise. That said, it does sound a lot more polished than Bleach, which cost a few hundred dollars to produce, but the higher production values are due to the skills of Butch Vig. Also, Dave Grohl’s drumming was a massive component in the songs sounding as great as they do. While Chad Channing was competent on Bleach, his drumming didn’t stand out at all, and he’ll never be remembered as a legendary drummer like Dave Grohl. Grohl’s drumming totally completed Nirvana and made them what they were.

[quote=“Limey”]Having said that though, I really love first albums - generally they are not too over-produced and the talent can shine through. I’m thinking “Kill 'em all” - “High Voltage” “Are you experienced?” Oh yes, and if there ever was a brilliant debut “Ten”.

I would love to hear a damn fine debut along these lines, but nowdays the industry seems to be geared more to image, shiny nice sounds and pretty boys…or am I getting old?[/quote]

Ten is indeed one of the finest debuts ever. Love that album. Another incredible first album is Iron Maiden’s self titled debut record - wow, still blows me away every time I stick it on. Super raw, punky, metal that just explodes with frantic energy - totally different from most of their more “epic” metal songs.

The industry is definitely not what it used to be, I reckon. Far more focussed on image these days than groundbreaking stuff. :frowning: [/i]

I don’t know any albums or song names. I remember an album with a nakid kid. I liked the one that starts “Mon and dad went to a show” and I like that “We can climb a house we can build a tree” song (and a bunch of other ones, like the parrot song for example, the fast one more I think.)

I think I was listening to mostly gangsta ass shit at the time, but my brother was always bumpin’ some Nirvana so I got into it by osmosis.

nirvana shaped the 90’s rock/pop scene for sure. i really am impressed by the sound that only 3 musicians produced with “nevermind”-the only nirvana album i own. they remind me of my favorite band of the 80’s-rush, in that here you have 3 musicians sounding like 5.

i wonder what everyone would think of nirvana if they were still around today. would they be just another pearl jam? pearl jam wouldnt be around today if it wasnt for nirvana, but now pearl jam seems so mainstream. what is it with the death factor?

i always find this curious. who would be listening to jimi hendrix today if he didn’t die in 1970? what if peter frampton died in 1979, would everyone be saying, oh man i love frampton. he’s still alive but his recent attempt at new material failed.

why worship someone who killed themself and abandoned his daughter. how selfish. was he thinking of her at all? maybe he did suffer from depression and maybe he couldnt handle the fame, but to turn your back on your new baby girl-that’s messing up someone elses life too. maybe he left her a fortune, but no daddy. id rather have a daddy than all the money.

just my opinion. i love nirvanas music but i think kurt should have got help. not only for his sake but his daughters.

jm

Just to add some balance to the thread, I always thought Nirvana was kind of boring. I appreciate what they did to bring heavy, non-comercial music to popular audiences, but the fact is whenever I put one of my Nirvana CDs on I always change it before long. The two bands that I still listen to a lot from that era are the Pixies and Sonic Youth.