Nissan Cefiro vs Mazda 6

I dunno, I told my mechanic that it was too soft, and asked for stiffer shocks and springs. He is a total motorhead, so he put some in, which he said were stiffer.

It is off topic but is it possible to change the shocks first and if still waiving, stiffen by a little harder springs?

Shocks are for controlling the damping so it should be the first thing to replace

He put i full assemblys I think.

The shocks will reduce the frequency rate of the springs and will in effect stiffen to a degree as they will resist somewhat on the compression stroke, but not all that much and can be overworked by slack springs, possibly causing them a shorter life, but the springs are necessary to be replaced if you are thinking of stiffening a suspension. It is the springs which make the largest difference to a car’s reaction on the road and the shocks are there to manage the springs so that they don’t cause the car to vibrate up and down causing lack of contact with the road.
It is the springs’ job to absorb initial road shock, alleviating the shock effect on the stability of the vehicle, its contact with the ground as well as provides a level of comfort to the occupants.
Too stiff a spring and the occupants suffer and the car bounces over bumps, too soft a spring and the car pitches and rolls, causing imbalance, lack of traction on corners and so forth.

The simple rule of thumb when choosing a suspension set up is to look at the surface of the road and needs of the occupants/driver.
At high speed suspensions need to react quicker and we manage this by stiffening up the springs and shocks. The springs will react quicker to the higher frequency of road impacts and the dampers will quickly limit the springs tendency to reverberate under light loading. Passenger or driver comfort is not as much as an issue in these circumstances as optimum traction and drive.

At lower speeds softer springs absorb a greater amount of travel and the shocks should be of a range which don’t restrict too much the travel of the spring in a low frequency range.

Frequencies refer to the time between bumps or undulations on a given surface. Different surfaces and speeds provide different frequencies. More modern development in shocks has offered systems which try to adjust the damping qualities whilst on the move so as to accommodate a greater range of frequencies, thus providing greater grip and comfort over a greater variety of conditions.
But for the most part, aside from some upper range or performance vehicles, the average vehicle only has one set rate of springs and shocks, making the choice of components perhaps even more important for the driver as they only get one chance at choosing the appropriate type to suit their general needs.
This means that although some suspensions seem soft to some, others find them very accommodating. Besides faulty suspension, it cannot usually be said that a typical vehicle’s suspension is completely inadequate for the needs of some people, although general-isms will often help a typical driver understand a car’s average performance in regards to suspension.

The Cefiro offers a generally soft suspension for the conditions noted previously, but may not suit specific uses regarding high speed cornering or high frequency bumps as much as other vehicles or other suspensions.

This post was written over two visits to my computer. I hope the first bit I typed gells with the second bit. :blush:

Its all well blended

so any recommendation on shock / spring for camry? or will sturt bar help to reduce this freeway “floating” feel?

The place where I live I see a Cefiro everyday. The owner must have replaced the tires to one of those ‘thin’ type. It’s absolutely gorgeous, but I’m not sure how it’d affect the performance of the Cefiro.

Low profile tyres may look nice to some, but they are generally uncomfortable and offer less cushioning from bumps, causing more shock to travel through the vehicles components and into the cabin. I don’t recommend changing to low profile tyres on many cars, especially in Taiwan, but a Cefiro comes nowhere close to even needing them. It was designed to do the opposite from perform which is to provide comfort and luxury to its passengers.
Even if they have spent money on tyres and rims just for looks, the chances are they haven’t increased the size significantly enough to fit the wheel arch and there is likely a big gap between the tyre and arch making it look like an ill fit. If they have fitted it to the gap then now it handles strangely, the speedo doesn’t work properly and the steering, suspension and axle components are likely to fail fairly soon.
Don’t meddle with these things if you ask me. Keep the same overall wheel and tyre dimensions but choose the most suitable tyres and rims.

You said it all. :notworthy:

Some vehicles can benefit from an upgrade to lower profile tires, whilst maintaining the same rolling diameter, and increasing the width of the contact patch. The Cefiro is not one of them.
A car which already has a fairly stiff suspension can pick up some extra road feel and lateral grip by going to a shorter, stiffer sidewall. One with a soft suspension tuned to imitate a luxury car certainly doesn’t benefit in this way. A tire has to be viewed as part of the whole suspension package and tuned accordingly.
The other aspect to consider is the moment of inertia of the rim / tire package. The powertrain has not only to accelerate and decelerate the vehicle mass itself but also the rotating mass of the wheels and tires. As the rim diameter increases, the moment of inertia also increases, even if the weight of the wheel remains constant, which it usually doesn’t. That means more of the torque produced by the engine gets used simply accelerating the wheels to speed, which means less is available for actually accelerating the vehicle. Result: Vehicle maximum acceleration is reduced and fuel consumption is increased. Also, the higher inertia requires more brake torque to decelerate, meaning stopping distance may actually be decreased, and for sure brake wear is increased.
On a higher-powered vehicle with a focus on higher potential cornering speeds this trade-off may be worthwhile, but a lower-powered daily driver that doesn’t see spirited use on backroads or track days probably just loses a lot of efficiency and comfort.

Of course a lot of people fit random things to vehicles according to how they think they look, rather than other factors.

Ummhumm…

Nice engine mod

[quote=“sulavaca”]
[/quote]
Hella flush brah! :unamused:

And raise you this.