Nitrogen supplier?

I thought my Rally car was so old it would be easier to Maintain…wrong. It has "active " differentials,triggered by Nitrogen at 30 Bar…yes Bar…pressure that powers the pump in the diff to 30 bar pressure.Damn Prodrive technology.
I am trying to find a Gauge to stand that much pressure,to measure, and a way to push in 30 bar pressure…and the Nitrogen !
I had pressure, showing on the GEMS ECU monitor,which is supposed to drop when you pull the handbrake on(microswitch) now I appear to have none ?.Switch appears OK. :snivel:

Jesus! That sounds a bit overcomplicated.

Why nitrogen? Why not air? Seems to imply there’s something especially vulnerable to oxidation, which seems a bit unlikely.

If you need inert, why not CO2/argon?, or some other relatively inert welding gas, which’ll be supplied in cylinders.

If you need Nitrogen, what grade purity of nitrogen?

Nitrogen tyre-filling service is the obvious source, but it won’t be very pure (I think they use selective membrane filtration) and I’d guess you might have to up the pressure yourself.

I have a contact in NCKU physics dept who has access to bulk liquid nitrogen (and helium). The former they make in-house by fractional distillation of air, but I think you can get it delivered in smaller quantities in a Dewar flask or cylinder.

I can make enquiries if its of any interest.

Have you tried BOC or Linde? They should be able to supply a full-size nitrogen cylinder, filled to 300bar, and should be able to advise on regulator too.

Don’t welders/metal fabricator chaps use this kind of heavy duty stuff.

alibaba.com/manufacturers/ni … turer.html

[quote=“Ducked”]Jesus! That sounds a bit overcomplicated.

Why nitrogen? Why not air? Seems to imply there’s something especially vulnerable to oxidation, which seems a bit unlikely.

If you need inert, why not CO2/argon?, or some other relatively inert welding gas, which’ll be supplied in cylinders.

If you need Nitrogen, what grade purity of nitrogen?

Nitrogen tyre-filling service is the obvious source, but it won’t be very pure (I think they use selective membrane filtration) and I’d guess you might have to up the pressure yourself.

I have a contact in NCKU physics dept who has access to bulk liquid nitrogen (and helium). The former they make in-house by fractional distillation of air, but I think you can get it delivered in smaller quantities in a Dewar flask or cylinder.

I can make enquiries if its of any interest.[/quote]
Thanks Ducked…Yes it is a bit of a complex system , I think they use Nitrogen as it does not degrade the seals etc, as much. The Nitrogen is like a reservoir of pressure that compresses a piston of Hydraulic fluid,which “assists” the pump in the differential. You can adjust the pressure in the front and centre differentials also. When you
activate the microswitch ( by using handbrake) it dumps the pressure,to enable a handbrake turn. So I don’t think it has to be a high grade Nitrogen.
Have not started on explaining the anti-lag system on the Turbo yet !!.
Let you know if I cant come up with anything soon thanks

will ask thanks

[quote=“Jonny Crisp”]Don’t welders/metal fabricator chaps use this kind of heavy duty stuff.

alibaba.com/manufacturers/ni … turer.html[/quote]
I will ask Jonny…you keep practicing the Navigating bit!! Ha Ha.

PM sent you G.E.T.