No ARC, taxes being taken out. What to do?

The law is only back and white if you want it be? lol okay then what is the point of these laws. I don’t work at a kindy but the whole thing is odd to me and I still stand by it. What is the point of making it illegal for foreigners to teach there if authorities aren’t going to enforce this law? It seems very much you scratch my back I scratch yours. I want my kid to learn English taught by for a foreigner so i’m not going to do my job and enforce the rules or worse accept payment to look away when I know there are foreigners working there. I’m not absolving teachers on their role in this. All involved are doing the wrong thing and again that seems odd to me.

And the difference in the scenario you speak of about agricultural laborers or domestic workers working illegally in the USA is that, as far as I know, the government/authorities don’t look away when they know this is going on and they don’t take concessions not to enforce the law.

You raise some interesting philosophical points here. What is the point of the rule of law if people do not follow it? If a law isn’t enforced then should it still be obeyed? Would that be the wrong thing to do?

I don’t really have any black and white answers. All I will say is that the law is sometimes enforced and people do get deported. Seriously, it happens.

Ideally yes, people should still obey the law even if it isn’t being enforced. Speeding or talking on a cell phone while driving comes to mind. But if an individual knows or thinks they aren’t going to get caught it makes it a lot easier not to abide by that law. The motivation to follow a law decreases each time you get away it. So I guess the question is who has the bigger responsibility the people to abide by laws regardless of consequence or lack there of, or the authorities that are tasked with enforcing the law?

I believe you that it does happen but it seems from my brief observation that
Teachers get away with working at kindys far more than they get deported for it.
Schools get away with employing foreign teachers far more than they get fined for it.
And authorities look the other away when a school or teacher isn’t following this law, so long as they are benefiting from it (kids are learning English), far more than they enforce it.

Oh well gotten quite off topic here. I think I have my tax question answer. Thanks!

This is why libertarianism will never work.

1 Like

I went shoplifting at Costco yesterday, and some of the goods I took were spoiled.
Is there anywhere I can go to complain about it?
Any chances I could get a refund?

6 Likes

That’s almost definitely a buxiban, then. They may say they’re not because they think saying so gives them an advantage (e.g. an excuse not to abide by the Labor Standards Act), but odds are if you look them up (or just look around the premises) you will find their buxiban license.

And the difference in the scenario you speak of about agricultural laborers or domestic workers working illegally in the USA is that, as far as I know, the government/authorities don’t look away when they know this is going on and they don’t take concessions not to enforce the law.

That’s another conversation, but in brief, there’s a lot that could be said about the US authorities. :cactus:

2 Likes

Thank you, I didn’t know that! I thought buxiban/cram school referred to the after-school type programs for kids. Really appreciate all those that answered, even the comedians :slight_smile: this has been informative.

Excellent. This pretty much sums up OP’s original post.

No, the equivalent would be along the lines of I went to Costco yesterday and gave a certain clerk the password so that I could go the secret basement and buy some contraband, but then they added tax to the price even though they didn’t give me a fapiao!

5 Likes

8 million illegal workers…you think no one’s looking away? Really?

1 Like

Don’t bother. OP is trying hard to rationalize her own illegal behavior and distance herself from Mexican fence jumpers.

This distance of course is fully fictional and entirely comprised of her white woman privilege - obviously working in Taiwan illegally she’s still several levels above that smelly brown Latino doing the same in the US. By not enforcing the law in 100% of cases, Taiwanese practically allowed her to do it! Blame the dumb yellow locals for a white privileged woman breaking the laws in Asia!

3 Likes

I often feel your words are too fierce, and id say it a bit calmly, but often cannot help but agree to your opinions.

2 Likes

Yep. Harsh, but fair.

theres a lot of bosses here doing shady stuff. anything to save money. its very normal, welcome to taiwan. and yes they usually get away with it. its just how it is here. as for yourself, you are also working illegally, they have some dirt on you if you wan’t to complain about your money being light. if you do want to stay here you don’t really have a leg to stand on. chalk it up to an introduction to a taiwanese company
and if it happens again when you are working with an ARC you can do something about it.

2 Likes

Indeed… Best case scenario is that they are actually pocketing the money. Problem as stateted is that if they report the taxes, the foreigner is going to be deported for working illegally.

In the good ol times, it was difficult to trace your income by the Immigration office. However, now all their computers are connected. The possibility of you running into trouble next time you update your ARC and they see the records from the school/income, well, it gets higher as the systems are more sophisticated.

Yes, many people have worked illegally without problems for years in the past. Yes, the school knows it, the government knows it, but you cannot trust they will turn a blind eye forever. One phone call and you, the weakest link in the chain, will be the one roasted. Not the government. Not the school.

For the school, the fine and conasequences of not taking tax of is worse than illegal teachers, which are par de course.

If you work illegally you have to understand your position. There will be no “but they hired me anyway” excuse. There will be no “but the government knows about it, the minister kid goes here”.

The soonest you can get a legal job, the better. As you can see now, it is not as profitable to work illegally nor it leads to long term benefits.

5 Likes

What on earth are you talking about lol im not white!!!

2 Likes

Thank you

Nice try. We all know the hiring requirements for female cram school teachers. In fact we know them so well that there are entire threads about ABCs and persons of color being discriminated.

Are you having a bad day?? White-woman privilege is quite the assumption and an incorrect one at that. Not sure how I can prove my non-whiteness to you, but that is what it is. “Smelly brown latino” “dumb yellow locals” WOW you obviously have some sort of ax to grind and it’s not with me… Don’t put those disgusting words in my mouth.

I am not saying ABCs and persons of color aren’t discriminated against but that wasn’t the case in my experience and doesn’t happen 100% of the time.

Do you really think EVERY female cram school worker is white??

1 Like

The difference between foreign teachers and the majority of illegal immigrants from Mexico is that immigrants from Mexico are basically unskilled labor. Granted they have skills in Gardening, housekeeping, and construction but anyone in America could do their job with a month or two training. Almost no one can speak like a native speaker in Taiwan and it would take years of university level training to become like a native speaker. They aren’t taking jobs away from locals per se because no locals could do that job.

1 Like