No library cards for foreigners in Taichung

I was recently asked by a local school to bring a class to the city library to introduce the students to American culture at the new American corner.

[quote]AIT chief opens American Corner in Taichung City
Library
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/deta … 2129&GRP=B
[/quote]
When I ask to apply for a library card I am told that “foreigners” are not issued library cards in Taichung even though I have permanent residency and an ROC government issued ID.

Add one more line to “why I left Taiwan”…sheesh! :noway:

well there could be a reciprocity issue here. perhaps your home state does not issue library cards to random foreigners.

besides it is well known that foreigners do not read the books, but rather do nasty things with them before returning them to the shelves.

also the vast number of foreigners living in taichung would monopolize control of scarce librarial resources, making them unavailable to poor locals.

are you serious eric? if so it gets a hearty

[color=red]
WTF
[/color]

ahhh, to be there with my chinese. i can almost hear the booming speech sounds echoing through the quiet of the library :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
ahhh, to be there with my Chinese. I can almost hear the booming speech sounds echoing through the quiet of the library :slight_smile:[/quote]

Not to mention the music of cell phone ringtones…

they mustn’t like the look of you cos i’ve got one!

I got one in Taipei many years ago.

Sometimes I take them into the bathroom before returning them. :smiling_imp:

I have one for Taipei Municipal library but last sunday was given the 5th degree and they demanded my passport and ID for my children. I told them to place their books in a dark, snug place

I had no problems getting one in Taipei a few years ago as well.
I contacted the mayor

You’re joking, right?

In most cases with these things the person on the front desk just sees a white face and goes into the “Foreigners Can’t…” thing that all Taiwanese civil servants are trained to say. However, it’s worth being civil and just walking away because the next day you may get a non-foreigner-hater who will just go, “Righto” and do the thing for you. Which is what happened to my wife here in Taipei.

You’re in Taichung though. I’ve heard the natives really don’t like foreigners down there. Shame really, as the girls are very nice. (“Come to our country, steal our jobs, drink our beer, steal our women, arrrr!”)

[quote=“21p”]You’re in Taichung though. I’ve heard the natives really don’t like foreigners down there.[/quote]You heard wrong.

Bollocks.

It’s not just foreigners, my wife is from Taipei and she gets worse treatment than me.
You have to understand Taichung’s history and what it has become. Taichung is 30 years behind Taipei and moving in another direction.

I’ve never had trouble checking out books from the National Central Library in Taipei (the one across from CKS Memorial Hall) … but that could be because I work there … :laughing: If anyone has any trouble getting a library card there (although I doubt that would happen), send me a PM and I’ll take care of it for you.

This might be a good issue to get the Forumosa International Residents Association into action.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=33380
I wiil donate free faxing if anyone has a letter they wish to send concerning this issue.