No matter how high you build a building in Taiwan

Well, I think it probably IS true that the Taiwanese buildings and infratsructure are sooo bad because this place was for a while seen as only temporary. At least, this seems to be part of the explanation.

(For the same reason, Taiwan is really still export-mad and doesn’t seem too keen on encouraging a domestic consumer economy.)

In addition, whereas its true to say that ancient civilisations were fond of building nice architecture… that’s not possible any more. Think of the cost! It was even more expensive in the past, of course, but then you could always whip and kosh a few thousand slaves or imperial subjects into building a pyramid or a wall.

Taiwan, by comparison, has been built on a shoe-string budget.

A lot of the money, of course, is syphoned off into politicians’ and businessmen’s pockets… which they then use to buy nice-looking buildings in Bel-Air.

Finally, I like the sawn-off Zebra and the plastic red chickeny-knifey-looking thing on Tunhwa and Minsheng. Shows a sense of humour. Let’s have more nonesense sculptures - I’ll do a couple myself if you like.

Lol, Poagao! Great pic. Perhaps (and hopefully) Taipei will evolve into something more aesthetically pleasing than THAT 10-20 years from now.

Wealth and Democracy are still fairly new concepts in Taiwan. Taipei is still a relic of the martial law era, and even the youngest generation is sapped of any and all creative energy by an outdated, corrupt, repressive and inefficient education system. From the very beginning of a Taiwanese person’s life, practicality and work ethic take precedence over anything else, especially imagination. In Taiwan, there exists only a minuscule amount of appreciation for art, which is evident in many things, but especially it’s entertainment industry. There’s the National Palace Museum, of course. But then that’s a collection of works and sculptures hundreds to thousands of years old. Certainly nothing modern is even remotely comparable.

It isn’t unusual that this extreme lack of appreciation for art would translate into the architectural industry (if such a thing exists?). In Taiwan, there is merely a ‘building’ industry, a direct reflection of the working society’s mentality. This, coupled with mass greed and corruption (also a product of an educational system that corrodes one’s sense of self-worth), results in exactly what those of us who LIVE HERE see everyday.

The good news, however, (or perhaps the bad, depending on how it is interpreted) is that the children of this society are getting tired of having their creativity and emotions repressed. Too long have people had their lives thrown away because they came a few points short of passing “THE” test that will get them into the right middle school that will get them into the right high school that will get them into the right university and into the right job, blah, blah, blah…

Once an individual’s value and potential as a HUMAN BEING begins to be realized, we can certainly hope for positive change, not only in the aesthetics of architecture, but in all things. DAMN will I be happy when that day arrives. Until then, there are other ways to build awareness without ‘bitching’. How about reminding your friends how important their lives are, no matter how well they do on some test? How about showing a little love, compassion and RESPECT for each other.

We foreigners need not be invasive and overly critical outsiders. We have the ability to bring a different perspective to people, and if we presented our ideas more diplomatically, you might be surprised how much more positively people would respond.

temporary, martial law, blah, blah excuses. Could it just be the Taiwanese just have bad taste in architecture, and low standards when it comes to keeping things in good order and clean? Surely its just about priorities, and having a pleasing environment (urban or natural) just isn’t up there…

Of course not, we have to come up with a thousand reasons other than the politically incorrect ones, don’t we?!?

Don’t fret, NFI, you’re out of here soon, aren’t you? Off to Shanghai, isn’t it? Where no doubt you’ll be seduced by the pristine air, the social order, the beauty, the attention to aesthetics, the law-abiding citizens, the complete lack of corruption, the ease of beuraucracy…

How I envy you!

quote:
Originally posted by NFI: temporary, martial law, blah, blah excuses. Could it just be the Taiwanese just have bad taste in architecture, and low standards when it comes to keeping things in good order and clean? Surely its just about priorities, and having a pleasing environment (urban or natural) just isn't up there...

Of course not, we have to come up with a thousand reasons other than the politically incorrect ones, don’t we?!?

If you’re so unhappy there, why don’t you go live in superclean Singapore where they’ll flog you for littering and castrate you for pissing off the rim of the urinal.

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail: If you're so unhappy there, why don't you go live in superclean Singapore where they'll flog you for littering and castrate you for pissing off the rim of the urinal.
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's [b]NON-SEQUITUR MAN!!![/b] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Shanghai may not be that great, but if a place is going to be ugly, it may as well be interesting.

Ugly & boring, and you wonder why hardly any (non business) visitors come here?

Shanghai has great old buildings and is a vibrant and international city, has been for ages. I envy some of you folks who have adapted to it here. I think I’m just sick of living in a factory/shopping mall combination.

You’re right, time to move on…

quote:
Originally posted by NFI:

You’re right, time to move on…

Well, send us an email/postcard when you get there!! Or write a post in this forum letting us know how it goes. It’ll probably be all good news anyway since the Chinese government censors the web and probably won’t let anything negative or critical of Shanghai/China get posted online or transmitted out of the country.

Oh and say hi to all those Taiwanese businessmen who’ve opened up all those factories and malls there too!!