No money....let them eat sandwiches

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Yogurt-company-to-pay-Rhode-Island-school-lunch-13835013.php

As a whole we humans have failed In so many ways except for the few individuals who have shown compassion and how we as a race should be

Hurrah to Chobani I’m going to go buy a few of their yogurts right now

Imagine the kids from poor families being denied a meal because their parents couldn’t pay? And that may be the only meal those kids are going to have that day

These are the very kids that really need that meal

What kind of example is the school going to make doing this ? What kind of a lesson in humanity? They are teaching them they should be heartless when they grow up that this is a have or have not world which is true but it shouldn’t be to the point that you will not even be able to eat. Which sadly is the real world today

But this is America can’t we feed our kids?

Shame on them

2 Likes

I know a lot of schools in the uk introduced payment cards for school meals, so you didn’t know if it was the state or the family paying for the meals. A few of the schools my friends kids went too, they had an app also, so the parents could monitor what the kids where eating.

Very nice and heart warming. The issue at hand thoighbis whatvis being dine to fix the root of the problem?

Charity is great, pleasing andteuly a nice thing. But its not sustainable. So what to do from there?

They don’t even get peanut butter…sunflower butter. Wtf is that?

1 Like

Healthier…maybe.

Peanut butter without sugar is actually pretty healthy. Not a bad thing for a growing child to have. Good fats, and high in protein. If that’s the only thing you’re eating for lunch, it’s good to get a high caloric food with good fats and high protein. We used eat a Bunch of peanut butter sandwiches in high school to gain weight and recover for football. Idk what sun flower butter is.

2 Likes

Less common allergy?

4 Likes

I never heard of it either.
It depends ds if they make it trans fat or not.
Usual)y sunflower oil is thought of as one of the healthiest oils.

But sometimes when they make vegetable margarines they have to cross link the lipid molecules to make it into a solid…In the case of sunflower butter I am wondering …

Been hearing about it more lately. Sun butter

I’m guessing it’s not so good. Peanut butter is usually without peanut oil that gets used for cooking oil. Maybe that’s also the same for sunflower oil.

It’s been around for a while it was always sold as the heather alternative to butter when i was a child.
https://www.flora.com

Flora was launched in 1964, and marketed as being healthier than both margarine and butter,

i can’t believe it’s not butter :thinking:

I know flora well, not sure it used to be made with sunflower oil?

Another thing you have to be very careful with is deceptive marketing in this space.
They mix different oils together, made with sunflower oil is not the same as just sunflower oil.

I have eaten ‘sunflower’ biscuits and snacks taste great.

Plant based Flora Original is made with sunflower seed oil and contains 65% less saturated fat than butter.

A little hint is the huge sunflowers used in the marketing.

But still not as nice as Butter.

Yeah but that may not have used that oil as much originally is my point …Since sunflower oil was more popular recently.

Also how much is sunflower oil and how much is not sunflower oil. My other point.

'made with something ’ is the.biggest con in the food industry. So percentages are key.

In my day in America we had lunch tickets. Poorer families would get books of them. Sometimes, students would sell them at the lunch room. As a stupid kid, I was guilty of buying a few not thinking what they may be using the money for. In our school, good chance it could have been weed or cigarettes. Many people brown bagged their lunches. I doubt in our area there was real hunger.

you asked what it is, now you know.

I’m not a chemist or a nutritionalist so i don’t know the answer to your questions,
if your that interested have a play on google, the website above says 33% sunflower oil.

Sunflower oil may be new any your life, but its been around a long time, my Grandmother always used it for cooking.
(except roast potatoes on Sundays that had to be beef dripping)

“Made” with, “Assembled” in, “Something” flavoured etc. these are all dubious terms used in marketing, i don’t spend my life worrying that every little thing is a con.

I have toast and butter to eat for breakfast and maybe the “Butter” has never seen a cow but it tastes nice.

The bigger question here is why is a school not supporting the most vulnerable students in its care? shouldn’t the welfare of the students be paramount?

Sunflower oil existed for thousands of years.
Sunflower butter…No, because it needs to be stabilised as a solid at room temperature whhich means it will become something else chemically. Whether that is actually healthy or not, I don’t know .

I know what Flora is I had it in my house as a kid lol.

:rofl: