No More Periods

There is a museum of menstruation in Maryland? Do they charge a bloody lot?

Seriously though, I think this product would be popular with husbands and boyfriends of the users.

[quote=“Globe and Mail”]

VANCOUVER — Life without monthly periods has always been one of the few things women look forward to as they grow old — but thanks to a new birth control pill , Canadian women of all ages may soon be able to stop menstruating.

Obstetricians, gynecologists and researchers gathered in Vancouver on Saturday to hear discussion about Anya, an oral contraceptive being manufactured by pharmaceutical giant Wyeth. The pill is taken continually and without the seven-day gap other birth control pills leave for menstruation.

And while it has yet to be approved by Health Canada, demand for the pill could be high judging by the results of recent informal surveys.

Four out of five women who took part in a poll while visiting the Museum of Menstruation in Maryland said if they could choose to stop having monthly periods, they would. [/quote]

theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ … ealth/home

Omigod it’s like christmas…!!! Gimmie !!!

While I would love for that to happen, it’s not healthy. A woman’s body is going thru that cycle because she is suppose to carry life. I don’t get why people would want to stop the natural process of their bodies.

I would be in favor in something that would allow women to aid them in the PMS cycle, which is a bitch to deal with. I say educate woman on how to nuture their bodies so that they can have healthier ones.

That’s pretty gross. Periods really are how your reproductive organs clean themselves out. Not having a period would be like hearing Fuer Elise downstairs and not taking out the trash for years at a time. Who would want to live there?

I used to be on the injection (every three months) so I didn’t have my period for about five years. The only thing that is different about this one is that it’s a pill…big deal. Anyways, what boyfriends or husbands these days will still freak out about periods? Sex is even better with it, and it is relaxing so for the woman it can apparently take away period-related pain. I wouldn’t know, though, because I’ve never experienced any discomfort.
But really, how is taking a pill so much better than those injections?

having my period every month doesnt really bother me or my boyfriend… and besides… it’s a welcome sign that I’m not pregnant

twonavels, are you talking about Implanon?

It was called Depo-provera.

[quote]While I would love for that to happen, it’s not healthy. A woman’s body is going through that cycle because she is suppose to carry life. I don’t get why people would want to stop the natural process of their bodies.

I would be in favor in something that would allow women to aid them in the PMS cycle, which is a bitch to deal with. I say educate woman on how to nuture their bodies so that they can have healthier ones.
[/quote]

Actually that is not true. Too many periods over a woman’s life time is not healthy. Women in traditional societies had far fewer periods than they now have because they were pregnant a lot lot more. Have five to 10 babies or more and that adds up to many years without periods. It has been shown that women who have fewer periods, for example, are at less risk of ovarian cancer and children that mature earlier and consequently have more periods are also at higher risk of ovarian cancer. It’s nature’s way.

And not necessarily more kids. Breast feeding stops ovulation. In many traditional societies women would breast feed for much longer, thereby capping their fertility.

HG

I tried but failed to find an article I read a year or so ago that basically says the same as what HGC and Fox posted above. As I remember it, the notion that monthly periods are somehow natural or healthier than longer cycles is pretty much myth. According to the article, in addition to cycles being slowed or stopped by breast feeding and child birth, women’s cycles were also slowed by good old fashioned labor in the fields. Some biologists figure that cycles of two to three months in length were once the norm for well fed women. To me, the real question about the safety of longer or stopped cycles is whether or not it is safe to bring them about with drugs rather than daily physical activity.