No more super cold aircon in stores

youtube.com/watch?v=8kgLIFNo … eature=sub

Taipei City govt taking the right step to avoid energy waste. From now on , the aircon can NOT be set lower then 26 degrees centigrade !! Otherwise subject to fines of 10,000 to 50,000nt dollars. To start from June with six months no fine period (which will take us up to winter). It should just start from JUne Period !

Finally, and we wont have to sit freezing in the restaurants either :discodance: . Next stop, 7-11 and their aircraft landing lights!

Or, rather, take us up to the time that city buses start setting their a/c at 10 degrees or so.

You mean I don’t need to take my jacket everywhere in summer? Good job!

No more Cashmere sweaters either!!!

OMG, this is so annoying!

You guys all from hot places? Back home, if it is 26 degrees, I turn the air conditioner on.

[quote=“bababa”]You guys all from hot places? Back home, if it is 26 degrees, I turn the air conditioner on.[/quote]That’s so true, 26 is hot side back home. We don’t even have air con. Best we can do is open the windows and turn the fan on.

Why does 26 feel cold here but hot at home? What’s that’s all about?

I think 26 is too warm for a department store full of people, but it’s better than walking around in a big freezer. I think this’ll be a good thing.

The first time my ex landed in LAX with me, it was 16 degrees outside and he thought he was going to freeze to death, but once he got out of the airport, he discovered that it wasn’t cold at all. He was very bewildered by it.

I heard that a ten degree centigrade difference would be all one needs. So for example if its 35c outside, 25c inside would be fine. 30c outside 20c inside to feel the difference, but really 20c is too cold. I set my apt temp here in the bay area at 26c year round and its pleasant.

It’s ok to say celsius instead of centigrade now. It’s been celsius for about 50 years.

YO we are gringos and its Centigrade for us (assuming some of us even know it exists as its FAhrenheit over here bud ).

adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1962Sci…136…254S

Course fin danke to Herr Celsius

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius

So now the government is telling businesses what temperature we can and can not have in our locations? And that’s a good thing?

Don’t they have an MRT line and a gondola to fix or something?

I’ve always wondered why they have the air conditioning on too strong in the summer and the heating on too high in the winter in these public interior spaces. Seems a waste of energy.

I do go to 7-eleven for a quick dose of fresh air in summer, pretending to browse. It’s probably not healthy though.

Apparantly, and according to a New Scientist publishing quite a few years back now Taipei City actually is said to suffer a 5 degree rise in temperature during summer months only because of the heat emitted by air-conditioners.

In fact, and I know this isn’t proof, but I did notice a significant drop in temperature a couple of years or so ago when the gov. ramped up the electric charges during the peak season. Was it an initial reactionary turning off of air-con that caused the drop? I’m not sure. I happen to think its worth an experiment however.

I will be glad that I don’t need to take a jacket to the cinema during the summer though. I must say I actually liked the freezing cold 7-11s though. I always popped in there whenever it was too hot. Now I’m far more practical though. I just use my own portable air-conditioner. :wink:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“bababa”]You guys all from hot places? Back home, if it is 26 degrees, I turn the air conditioner on.[/quote]That’s so true, 26 is hot side back home. We don’t even have air con. Best we can do is open the windows and turn the fan on.

Why does 26 feel cold here but hot at home? What’s that’s all about?[/quote]

The friggin’ humidity, I guess. Back home, 26 degrees is a heat wave. :smiley:

[quote=“Formosa Fitness”]So now the government is telling businesses what temperature we can and can not have in our locations? And that’s a good thing?

Don’t they have an MRT line and a gondola to fix or something?[/quote]

Perhaps you’d like to pay for market price for electricity then, the government provides highly subsidised electricity to all businesses in Taiwan. Or maybe you don’t want electricity at all, perhaps you can buy a private generator like in Iraq or Bangladesh? You will be free from government interference.

The overuse of aircon was one of the side-effects of this policy. As other posters mentioned, the heat in cities then becomes unbearable as all aircons do is shift heat from inside to outside. This creates a knock-on effect, if you didn’t have an aircon originally you know were almost forced to get one.

This policy makes sense in so many ways, economically, environmentally, health-wise…it should be applauded when the government makes a good decision.

New solution…

Dome over Taipei, send all heat outside the dome.

Unless I’m reading this wrong, it this only applies to very large businesses like department stores, for now at least.

taiwantodaynews.com/index.ph … above-26-c

"In the initial period the statute will apply to businesses using over 100,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity per month, or paying electricity bills over NT$300,000 monthly. There are now approximately 540 such large power consumers among the city’s supermarkets, hypermarkets, retail outlets, hotels, department stores and office buildings…

Most department stores in Taipei said to save energy they already began two or three years ago to set air conditioning temperatures at 26 C in the summer, and so would comply with the city government’s policy. "

So probably no major changes will be noticed?