No more super cold aircon in stores

I don’t they think they thought about it that much. Fact is most office air cons are just cheap when they were bought and are usually constantly on. They don’t really have good sensors and cost a lot of energy.
Air con’s technology is simple and compared to other developed countries, electricity is cheap here.
Worst countries for air con I found are China/Spain. Taiwan is heaven compared to those two countries.

I agree that a/c used to be a luxury 20 years ago and still has some of that attached to it today although it is much more common in homes today (I was thinking more of the younger generation when I said they grow up with a/c in their homes). In the past, people would stream to the department stores just for the “coolness” factor. Of course the department stores and shops recognized this effect and exploited it by turning the a/c up. But I wouldn’t consider 26 degrees C hot by any standard, not to speak of Taiwan during summer.

I have recently been looking to rent an apartment in Kaohsiung and I was shocked that the majority I have looked at do not have any air conditioning. Over the last few years teaching short summer school camps, none of the public schools I went to had air conditioning in the classrooms. Perhaps the tolerance to ‘cold’ is low for many Taiwanese but then again when my students complain the a/c is set too low I politely suggest that they might benefit from wearing something a little more substantial – a halter top, tank top, and mid-drift shorts generally aren’t suitable for a classroom environment. I also point out that sitting directly beneath the vent isn’t the brightest move either. I set my a/c at home to 24C (75.2F), close the windows and doors, and enjoy a reasonable temperature. As for in the office, when I worked in Taipei, the a/c was never set that low – most of the time it was just right or a little hot. Maybe it’s all a Taipei thing?

Eh, you are put your social mores on the students. This is their country after all.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Eh, you are put your social mores on the students. This is their country after all.[/quote] Do they have any? :roflmao: :roflmao:

Engerim - Time to get out your dictionary or to get your glasses checked. m-o-r-e-s A good first year of college word that helps you to become a more educated person.

I know what it means:

mo·res (môrˈāzˌ, -ēz, mōrˈ-)
plural noun

1. The accepted traditional customs and usages of a particular social group.
  2. Moral attitudes.
  3. Manners; ways.

My question is do the students have any manners now?
(unless you consider talking loud, eating bento’s in class, be drones and never get out good “traditional customs and usages”) + unregulated air conditions in classes

Here is the mores of air condition of Greater China as of today:

There’s nothing in the first year of college that helps anyone become more educated.

Am I just whinging if I say that 26 degrees is too warm? Because I think it is.

And will this law affect the companies that blast AC air out the wide open fronts of the stores? It doesn’t matter what temperature that AC is set to - if you’re warming up the street, you’re doing it wrong.

My husband is really cynical about the whole thing and is convinced it isn’t going to stick. He was watching some news report last night that said already the mayor’s office has been caught not following it.

I was at Sogo with friends yesterday though and was soooooooooo happy at how comfortable it was. It was nice not having to constantly put blankets on the baby and take them off again.

In Japan, where my sister-in-law lives, the government asks everyone to keep the A/C at 28. It’s comfortable so long as you don’t move a muscle. I’m not sure how and if it’s regulated but my SIL seemed to follow it.

Somehow I think even if this does stick the kids are still going to be coming to school dressed in 5 layers.

My husband is really cynical about the whole thing and is convinced it isn’t going to stick. He was watching some news report last night that said already the mayor’s office has been caught not following it.

I was at Sogo with friends yesterday though and was soooooooooo happy at how comfortable it was. It was nice not having to constantly put blankets on the baby and take them off again.

In Japan, where my sister-in-law lives, the government asks everyone to keep the A/C at 28. It’s comfortable so long as you don’t move a muscle. I’m not sure how and if it’s regulated but my SIL seemed to follow it.

Somehow I think even if this does stick the kids are still going to be coming to school dressed in 5 layers.

24? :astonished: What are you, an Eskimo or something? That’s bloody FREEZING!
I hate a/c – makes me congested and feel like I’ve got grit in my eyes. Open windows and a big old ceiling fan does the trick for me.

Just go to Taichung, they don’t bother with this kind of thing. Actually I think 26C might be a bit ambitious, 24 might have been a better starting point. I agree with Sandman, if more places had ceiling fans that would save a lot of energy.

My father-in-law worked for Taipower his working life, and follows their recommendation of a/c at 28 degrees plus a fan to keep the air moving. It’s not too bad once you get used to it, took me a few years, though!

I really need a good 22 to sleep, but if I had a fan going I might could do a 26. I can’t wait to move out of this damn sauna! (Staying with ex-in-laws who are terrified of the airconditioner.)

But that’s going to be a problem - most buildings now don’t even have fans, and in my school for example only the “vintage” rooms have fans. The new slick sealed ones are going to be unbearable if they’re full of students with A/C set for 27 degrees. There’s a world of difference between 27 with moving air and 27 with still air.

I do wonder how good this is going to be for businesses - if Starbucks is 27 degrees, that takes away much of their summertime appeal for me.

My father-in-law worked for Taipower his working life, and follows their recommendation of a/c at 28 degrees plus a fan to keep the air moving. It’s not too bad once you get used to it, took me a few years, though![/quote]
Heh, my air conditioner was cranking away all day and only managed to get my living room down to 30.
I can only dream of 28… much less 22 :astonished:
I think 26 is pretty reasonable, less than that just seems like too much of system shocker during the summer here.

[quote]asiababy wrote:
My father-in-law worked for Taipower his working life, and follows their recommendation of a/c at 28 degrees plus a fan to keep the air moving. It’s not too bad once you get used to it, took me a few years, though!

But that’s going to be a problem - most buildings now don’t even have fans, and in my school for example only the “vintage” rooms have fans. The new slick sealed ones are going to be unbearable if they’re full of students with A/C set for 27 degrees. There’s a world of difference between 27 with moving air and 27 with still air.

I do wonder how good this is going to be for businesses - if Starbucks is 27 degrees, that takes away much of their summertime appeal for me.[/quote]

lostinasia,
Most public schools don’t have a/c, do they? And not all private schools, either. I really feel for the students and teachers. Especially those who have to wear polyester. I remember my cousin in Australia getting off school when it reached 42 degrees, it must have been torture at 41!

I’m in a university, so the working environment is usually a bit better than in the public schools - almost all of our rooms do have air conditioning; the only holdouts are a few “classical” buildings that all the teachers try hard to avoid. Too bad, actually - those buildings are in a nice garden and are the most photogenic place on campus. They’re just unbearably hot for the months of May through November.

24? :astonished: What are you, an Eskimo or something? That’s bloody FREEZING!
I hate a/c – makes me congested and feel like I’ve got grit in my eyes. Open windows and a big old ceiling fan does the trick for me.[/quote]

I set the A/C at home at 22 degrees.

Friday afternoon the A/C at work broke. It is bad enough that they have it set automatically to turn on after 9 and switch off at 5 -even though a lot of us get there at 8 and leave well after 6. The thing is that this Friday in particular I said I ain’t gonna take it anymore…

…so I took off a couple of hours early -from my overtime bank- and headed to a nice cafe with a friend to have afternoon tea in a well air conditioned place.

If they insist on this 26 degree scheme, I will take one of those personalized ice fans -the one syou put ice in to make the air cooler- whether they like it or not. Or an industrial size fan. Pick your choice.