No need to renew car/scooter registration?

Hi folks,

Ive just came across this http://www.ey.gov.tw/en/Link_Content.aspx?n=6EBEA92B45F475D0&s=83E48433C0D8E694

Its not very clear but does it mean that you dont have to renew at all or every 3 year for cars, 2 year for scooters?

Depends on how much you pay … yearly or two years … and you need insurance before you can renew …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

But that link implies you don’t need to renew your registration as of the 1st Jan 2013 or am I reading it wrong?..

Every time I’ve bought a scooter in Taiwan I’ve registered it. However, I’ve never gotten around to renewing my registration. I’ve been pulled over many times and occasionally fined for something, but never for having an expired registration.

It’s just one of those ‘whack things in Taiwan’.

It certainly looks like that to me. Interesting.

I think the wording is a bit vague. They say that car owners don’t have to pay the 200NT fee for re-registration of vehicles. It costs 15,000+NT to renew your car registration so this sounds like you don’t have to pay a filing fee now. Is the article trying to imply that you can now renew your registration by mail, online or at the post office/7-11?

Who knows! My registration isn’t due until next year so I can’t be much help. Anyone renewed since the beginning for the year?

You can do that for a few years now … no need to go to the DMV … but as said, you need a valid insurance … the ‘registration’ I believe is the road tax.
Payment is due on the date on your rregistration, not on January 1
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

If this has been the case for a few year why would the government only publish it now? Well in October of last year to take effect on the 1st Jan?

You can do that for a few years now … no need to go to the DMV … but as said, you need a valid insurance … the ‘registration’ I believe is the road tax.
Payment is due on the date on your rregistration, not on January 1
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

So you’re saying that I can pay 50-60000NT for multiple years of registation/road tax? No thanks. I’ll make the yearly trip to the DMV. For a motorcycle it would make sense since registration and insurance is dirt cheap.

My scooter registration was up today and although I had seen the website mentioned above, I thought it was too good to be true so stopped by the DMV here in Jiayi County just to make sure. The clerk there told me that I didn’t have to renew my registration, and I should just hang on to my old one. He also said that they would send a bill for the tax sometime in July.

I also have become lax on renewing all my driving docs. I know I should and in the case of an accident the unlicensed driver is screwed. I have been stopped occasionally but nobody has mentioned my expired driver’s licence, registration nor insurance. RESOLVED: Take care of this soon.
BTW, it seems I recall a spot check on all police officers in Taipei and Xinbei. This was done several years ago but as I recall 45% had expired driver’s licences. No excuse so I will knuckle under and go get it done.

Whenever I go through a road block here, they wave me through as soon as they see that I’m a foreigner. The only reason I got my license is for the reason you stated above. There really is no reason not to, the test isn’t too hard and renewing doesn’t cost much at all.