No notarised degree?

Hello,

I’ve been offered a job in Minxiong Township (just outside Chiayi City).

The original job posting said that my Bachelor’s degree certificate will need to be notarised by the Taiwanese Ministry of Education, but after I’ve asked them for advice about how to do this they’ve suddenly told me that it doesn’t matter.

Is this normal for Taiwan or should I see this as a red flag for the school? Will I potentially face problems getting a visa or whatever if it isn’t notarised?

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

[quote=“AdamLazaruso”]Hello,

I’ve been offered a job in Minxiong Township (just outside Jiayi City).

The original job posting said that my Bachelor’s degree certificate will need to be notarised by the Taiwanese Ministry of Education, but after I’ve asked them for advice about how to do this they’ve suddenly told me that it doesn’t matter.

Is this normal for Taiwan or should I see this as a red flag for the school? Will I potentially face problems getting a visa or whatever if it isn’t notarised?

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.[/quote]

I came here in 2002, and things may have changed since then, so I’m reluctant to advise you about degree authentication. However, the issue is currently being discussed in a thread in this forum:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=133060

Are you working for a public school program or a buxiban? Chances are if you’re working for a public school program, you may be the first, or among the first foreign teachers they have ever hired and they therefore really don’t have any idea what they are doing since there is basically no organization, standardization, or centralization in terms of managing these programs. It doesn’t mean that you should red flag them, as this seems to be a common issue for public schools. If it’s a buxiban, they may be a new school and not really know what they are doing either. Doesn’t mean you should red flag them, they may just be new so take your chances. If it’s a public school job, you’re still taking chances, but still likely better than a buxiban. Conditions at public school jobs vary wildly throughout the island.