No outing or revealing real names

Outing people is against the rules of Forumosa.

In order to respect ironlady’s privacy, I’ve edited this post, and my previous one in which I referred to her “real world” name.

This is not a “sorry about that” issue. You did this deliberately and it is very clearly against both the rules of Forumosa and against general netiquette.

I will not call for you to be banned but it shows a huge lack of “understanding about the nature of our little community”, doesn’t it? :unamused:

Um, I can see your name at the bottom of all your posts…

Her name is Mencius?

Not my full name. Using a first name is quite different to using a full name including surname. And you yourself admitted at one point that you had to do a bit of research to come up with it. Not kosher, my dear, not kosher at all. Or should I say “not cricket”?

Did I admit that? I just meant that your first name appears next to your e-mail address at the bottom of your posts; nothing about a full name. No research on my part, I’m afraid.

I agree with Ironlady.

It is highly inappropriate to use the real and full name of a person who posts under an alias on a site such as Forumosa.

Let’s try to be more careful about this, shall we?

TM, i am surprised at your view, considering your non reaction to blueface when he did it to me in the IP forum. Double standards huh !! :fume: :fume:

When did he do it? How did he do it? Had you first revealed your name in another thread?

Point me to the thread… and I’ll look at it (again if I already did… I really don’t recall).

[quote=“tigerman”]I agree with Ironlady.

It is highly inappropriate to use the real and full name of a person who posts under an alias on a site such as Forumosa.

Let’s try to be more careful about this, shall we?[/quote]

Agreed, moot question when it comes to a public forum. I also think that we should be a little more careful of who we accuse of outing them.

Ironlady: I don’t know you, nor do I think I want to after being accused of something I had no part in. I came across this thread this morning and found it odd that you objected to people using your name (not your full name) when it is plain view for everyone to see. Pretty serious accusation on your part and that’s definitely not “cricket”. :fume:

Not my full name. Using a first name is quite different to using a full name including surname. And you yourself admitted at one point that you had to do a bit of research to come up with it. Not kosher, my dear, not kosher at all. Or should I say “not cricket”?[/quote]

And I wouldn’t need to be a P.I to click the WWW link to the posters website and see that the first names match, wait, the full name and phd is there too.

If you are going to object too loudly you’d better check that you don’t out yourself.

There are also many threads where your name is used in full.

It is still against the rules to out someone. Full stop. What part of that rule are you having problems understanding?? It is basic etiquette on Forumosa.

Not my full name. Using a first name is quite different to using a full name including surname. And you yourself admitted at one point that you had to do a bit of research to come up with it. Not kosher, my dear, not kosher at all. Or should I say “not cricket”?[/quote]

Ironlady, check the thread again. You have me confused with mwalimu. Would want to break rule #13 now, would you?

Respectfully,
CK

It would seem logical that if somebody puts a web link to a page that describes exactly who he or she is, then he or she has waived this right to remain anonymous. This is the only reasonable way to look at it.

Man, you Forumosans sure know how (and clearly enjoy) quibbling, squabbling and breaking into tangents.

Sometimes I do as well, so it is a relief to find this forum.

My two (unsolicited) cents: Ironlady is right. In principle.

The stuff about the links to a website showing her personal information or whatever have no bearing on the principle and apparently, “rule” about not outing others.

Yeesh, grammar was a little off in the last post.

There is something a little bothersome about coded “cricket” retaliations though.

If you’re going to take the high ground, you’d best stay there.

Oh come on, ironlady!

Your alter-ego identity is very much public record, both on the parent site of forumosa.com, oriented.org (in a profile of you, in which I learned that you used to sing in a piano bar - cool), and on your own personal website (a commercial enterprise), the URL to which you share with this community every time you post. And… you reference your own surname in a posting dated Feb. 13, 2004, and again at least 4 or 5 times in a single posting dated Nov. 9, 2002! Long after both you and I became forumosans. You can’t “out” someone who’s never really been “in the closet”, can you? I didn’t let slip to the good folk of forumosa (ablbeit VERY briefly) something that you already hadn’t told them yourself, did I?

Did you follow up your own self references with threats to call for your own banning, I wonder?! Did you remind yourself of your breach of netiquette, and the inviolable rules of Fourmosa?! :unamused: (Sorry, but your posts in this thread come off sounding so 4th grade. Quiet frankly they surprise me.)

Terry, honestly, I’ve often enjoyed and admired your spirited give and take with all kinds of people - in many threads on this forum, and I often have found myself agreeing with you and applauding points you’ve made well, but my take in this case is that you pulled out the rule book on me because my whole posting embarassed/annoyed you (and rightfully so, I’d argue, because I took you to task in response to the snotty attitude you had previously used with me), not the specifc, short lived reference to your full name.

[BTW, and for the record, Ironlady and I were both online when this little drama went down: I posted, she complained, I edited and apologized, she got sanctimonious. Time elapsed, about 2 minutes]

Tigerman has said that he wouldn’t like his name revealed on this site, and as far as I can tell, he has protected his anoymity by never posting a link to a personal website, or referenceing his own name. I respect that, and I respect your feelings too, ironlady, when you complained about my use of your name, hence my fast action to edit my offensive posting. And in the future I’ll be very careful to respect the rule of absolute anonymity which seems to apply here - and fair enough. What I don’t respect, ironlady, is self-importance, and gratuitous “attitude”.

This was pretty much my reasoning when I made my little faux pas. As a point of logic, I’d still have to agree with you, Chaon, particularly when the aggrieved party, as it were, has referenced their own name on more than one occasion.

Anyways… it’s late here, and once again, I’m starting to ramble. :slight_smile:

It would seem logical that if somebody puts a web link to a page that describes exactly who he or she is, then he or she has waived this right to remain anonymous. This is the only reasonable way to look at it.[/quote]

The rules state that nice people who play on Forumosa do not use full names. Full stop. This is not too much to ask for. There is no reason to do so.

The original post (which has now been edited) used my full name with surname. This was deliberate and inappropriate. It has been taken care of – and admirably quickly, too, I may add – by Fluffy (Happy Birthday, Fluff!)

CK – right, got you mixed up with the other poster. However, why you would go to such lengths to defend the use of a full name is still beyond me, unless you’re looking at the edited post and wondering what all the fuss is about??

So if someone registers with a username that is their actual full name, we still may not refer to their full name because that’s what the rules say. Full stop.

If a poster repeatedly posts his or her first and last name, and indicates several times that he or she does not mind if it is used, then we still are prohibited from using that name because that is what the rules say. Full stop.

Well OK, but that’s just the dumbest damn thing I’ve ever heard in my life. Full stop.