No Passengers on Bicycles?

From news release today. Apparently these are laws that are not enforced.

Traffic fine $300-$600.

5 Likes

Well gotta out 120cm handlebars then :slight_smile:
That rule makes not much sense, some MTBs use 85cm handlebars while road bikes use sometimes only 38cm…

I’m sometimes thinking of mounting 80cm handlebar extensions to the left, to keep people overtaking to some decent sort of distance… Distance to overtake here by manyw cars seems to be safe interpreted at 20cm or so…

Imagine parents carrying one or more kids, sometimes with big packages or rain cover sticking up and out, on electric bike zooming down a sidewalk.

Multiple laws being broken at one time.

1 Like

Go big or go home

Do they have a similar law for scooters? Because I’ve seen a whole family + dogs in a single scooter.

1 Like

Oh yeah. I kept laughing during the scooter license test - “Wait, that’s illegal?! But half the scooters on the road are doing that!”

You can see some (all?) of the test questions here, although navigating the different PDFs is a bit of a pain:
https://www.thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/download/download_list?node=cc318297-734e-42f0-9524-284801e7064d&c=63e0f1f5-4574-4545-a6fe-987df50ee75f

3 Likes

Some people might mark all of these, based on their behavior.

I’m sure the yellow light means “speed the fuck up” for some people (not limited to Taiwan, of course).

Geese? Maybe dogs or pigeons, but I’ve never seen geese on the roads. Maybe I’ve spent to much time in the city. :thinking:

2 Likes

Every year the rules section of my syllabus gets a little bit longer, to specify “No you can’t do that thing an unnamed student tried last year.” I wonder if these questions have a similar genesis.

2 Likes

Taiwan has plenty of laws.

In mnay countries bicycles are considered vehicles. So same rules apply. Cant ride on sidewalk, speedlimits, turn signals, traffic lights/signs etc.

1 Like

I think it’s been a rule. They could just be enforcing it.

Just a matter of if the officer wants to stop you for a 300-600NT fine or if you are creating a hazardous situation on the road/sidewalk.

For the same amount of paperwork, they can get 10x the money at any intersection every five minutes with a car.

1 Like