No place like Taiwan for offshore wind power?

We could put all of the waste in Kinmen, lol.

2 Likes

So, dump billions into a state of the art plant and when the cost/Kw increases because of resource demand from other “eco” countries, then we consider other ways to power Gogoros?

You have convinced me . Let’s all continue with current policies … they are all such environmentally sound ideas . If we covered Taiwan in solar panels and built 100,000 more wind turbines … how much percent of energy needs would that cover and at what cost ? When someone bothers to actually work that out properly , then if it’s viable , im on board

And it might be another 100 years before we figure out a truly long-term solution. In the meantime, we are fine. Like I said, spent nuclear fuel has never been a problem. There’s no reason to think it will suddenly become one. It’s extremely predictable. Scientists know exactly how that stuff will react over the next million years. The current solution isn’t ideal only because it requires management. It would be nice to find a place to store it so we don’t have to look after it…but in the meantime, on-site management isn’t a big issue. When it becomes an issue, people will figure it out.

I used to work in Tianmu. I live in Taichung now.

Doesn’t matter. Those type of issues should always be followed up on and researched. As I said though, I seriously doubt that scandal had any measurable impact on human health. I would have to see some radiation numbers in order for me to change my mind on that.

Why are they ridiculously low? Do you have any evidence that they are actually higher?

Wouldn’t you rather make a small economic mistake than, potentially, a huge environmental and economic one? That boondoggle at #4 already proved how the hoes sow the rows here.

This is an island where most people have fnckall else besides it. Why not wait out technological advances by choking down that cheap coal and setting up some windmills to give it a go?

Wind power, solar power and most renewables are like Robin.
You need Batman and Superman (maybe Wonder Woman) to fight a group of super villain.
Nukes, coal, oil (gasoline/diesel), hydroelectric, natural gas, geothermal are the Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.
Robin is a sidekick for a reason. He can’t carry the weight.

1 Like

I generally pro-nukes.
I understand not every country should use nuke power plants. Countries filled with Homer Simpson should not be allowed to use nukes.
In regards of nukes, it’s like the Allies joining forces with the Soviet Union to handle Nazi Germany in WW2.
Without Soviet Union, fascists would rule.
But of course, with Soviet Union, we have Cold War and its consequences for 50+ years.
Then again, the world of The Man in The High Castle also not too fancy either.

Or X-Men enlist Magneto to face Sentinels.

at first we tried the off-shore solution but later on gave up on that proposal due to Typhoon. the turbines with typhoon rated certification are just a joke for Taiwan with peak wind speed over 250 km/h . The on-shore solution are also not feasible as good sites are dominated by wind farm already

Just to clarify what i wrote previous. I didnt put the 3 in the same boat of health affects. I simply stated taiwan has 3 major sources ofnpower: oils, coal and nuclear. Further more 2 are dirty (oils and coal) and 1 is dangerous (nuclear). Its impossible to deny nuclear risk on a tiny island with massive earthquake issues, tsunami potential and so far no safe way to store waste material. The equals dangerous. Im not preaching some sollution for the issue, but im also not so daft to think it is a safe and the best option…if chernobyl or fukishima happens on taiwan, where in the country do you plan to escape? Given taiwans reality of quality control levels and governemnt corruption i dont honestly see how you come to this conclusion. Thats why i wont argue nuclear is unhealthy. If there are no problems its pretty healthy. When there is a problem though, you are fucked. Coal and has you can simply turn off. Nuclear isnt in that realm of safety. So oil and gas are safer as far as emergency level controls. While they are dirtier when running smoother for obvious reasons.

Nuclear in taiwan is a gamble. The 4th plant is just every kind of retarded.

I think that Taiwan should densely dot the all of the coastal waters on the west full of windmills with fortified concrete bases to make it impossible for ships to go through. Slow down the Chinese Invasion and provide extra power. two in one win win.

3 Likes

Again, everything is dangerous. Walking across the street to get breakfast is dangerous. What needs to be measured is risk…and all available data and historic experience strongly implies that nuclear power production is FAR and away the safest and least risky means of producing large quantities of power.

Coal and oil power production is so much more dangerous than nuclear power. It’s not even comparable. Every year dozens to hundreds of people die in the process of fossil fuel-based power production. Coal dust explosions, tanker explosions, malfunctions at plants, gas line explosions, etc. I could also throw in the estimated 2.1 million deaths a year from particulate matter emitted by fossil fuel burning… but let’s put that aside for now.

How many people have died from activities related to civilian nuclear power production since Chernobyl? Want to guess?

Zero.

If you throw in experimental reactors the death toll from nuclear power production since 1960 is 2. TWO. Those happened at an experimental fuel reprocessing plant in Japan.

So yeah, I guess it’s “possible” that something really bad like Fukushima could happen and force people out of a 10 mile radius of a nuclear reactor, but it’s extremely unlikely to happen and extremely unlikely to cause human fatalities…because that just has zero history of happening.

People look at Fukushima as some sort of horrific warning of the dangers of nuclear power production. I don’t. I think it’s an amazing testament as to how safe nuclear power production actually is. It was a perfect storm of a disaster. Largest earthquake in recorded history, gigantic tsunami, outdated reactors with outdated safety mechanisms, etc. All of those things combined to make an extremely unlikely event happen… AND STILL no one died from radiation.

Japan is taking it extremely safe with the exclusion zone. In reality, now that it’s been a few years, the background radiation levels in most areas of the exclusion zone are comparable to natural background levels in highly populated areas of the world. It’s high for Japan, but nothing to be worried about. There are still some hotspots that should be quarantined, but if Japan really wanted or needed to, most of the exclusion zone is currently perfectly habitable.

I am perfectly willing to risk the ridiculously small chance of a nuclear incident in order to cut down the surety of fatal particulate matter being spewed into the air I breath every day.

The risk of having nuclear power without proper nuclear waste storage in Taiwan is extremely high. We have earthquake, typhoons, volcanoes, tsunamis, and threat of war by our big dumb neighbor. That coupled with the fact that our main population centers live extremly close to these nuclear power plants would make any disaster much worse than the world has ever seen. The average Taiwanese government and Taipower emplyee’s Chabudou mentality raises the risk significantly as well.

Really? There has never been a human fatality related to nuclear waste. What reason do I have to consider it to be a high risk issue?

Every fatality at Fukushima Daiichi power plant happened due to the failure of nuclear waste containment.

2 Likes

And frankly… I am so sick of hearing about Taiwan’s chabuduo mentality as if that is some sort of problem associated with nuclear power in Taiwan. It smacks of racism to me. Taiwan has a fantastic safety record in all of their nuclear facilities and has received high praise from international oversight agencies.

2 Likes

There were zero radiation fatalities at Fukushima.

Selection_127

You do remember we’ve been down this road before right?

Fair enough. I think that death was fairly recent, correct?

I concede one death.

That’s if you only count radiation casualty as a result of nuclear waste. The fact is the entire disaster happened because a power loss caused nuclear waste containment to fail. Technically, all casualties happened because there are inherent risks in the way nuclear waste is stored on site in most nuclear power plants today.