No place like Taiwan for offshore wind power?

Your link: extremely aggravating as i cant even view the website and the advertisements wont give me an option to close on the phone…have another link by chance, would very much like to read it but it wont let me :frowning:

It works fine on PC, but on a phone it has those stupid ads…

But supposedly Hitachi makes the best AC in Taiwan… I think.

Powered by the Qingshui Geothermal Power Plant.

1 Like

Cheers, will try at home later. I cant stand websites with such lame marketing planning…but i am interested in the topic…

So if we’re closing the nuclear power plant down (20%) of our power.

And replacing it with wind & solar, where is the net carbon reduction?

There isn’t any.

Closing down of nuclear plants (which releases ZERO carbon) is only to appease those crazy environmental types.

Net carbon will actually increase because these nuclear loads will be replaced with more coal or fossil fuel plants.

Like me. It may not always be to reduce carbon at all, more just to reduce in house waste. Be it good or bad. At least in earthquakes, possible tsunamis, typhoons and rampant corruption, a wind farm leak wont do shit.

Its a progress, nothing is 0 to 100% in a day. Things should phase out, like coal! But it should be done so with diligence not always postponing. As such, shut things down, we rebuild FAST when we are forced to. When we arent forced, we keep talking for 30 years before starting a project that may or my not last past the next election, its pathetic.

Surely no one disagrees finding ways to harness (with little or no risk) continuous natural energies that are readily captured is a good thing. As well as surely no one disagrees these types of tech need to be developed a LOT better than current capabilities. Science is never done trying to improve, that should be our standard, not our elite.

Thing is nobody wants to replace coal because we weren’t truly forced to, and climate change is some fairy that people think will only happen so long into the future that nobody will put it on their mind.

If there were a sudden shortage of coal, you can bet a replacement will happen immediately.

You just spelled out our intelligence level as a species.

Well when I was little I was so convinced that scientists could solve all problems and do anything.

As I grow older I realize that intelligence isn’t valued at all, and that our intelligence level as a species is quite poor. We’ve been told all our lives that we are monkeys so we act like one.

1 Like

When Germany closed its nuclear plants because of Fukushima, I thought “How stupid- it just shows how even an earthquake and tsunami didn’t result in any deaths.”
Then I imagined it happening in Taiwan, with some scapegot going on TV to apologize for 20,000 deaths and hundreds of thousands evacuated and homeless and bowing and promising to take early retirement to show remorse.

1 Like

No deaths? Not from nuclear but lots of, more than 15,000

1 confirmed from radiation, 2,202 from evacuation.

6 with cancer or leukemia but are still hanging on.

1 Like

Not really following. 20k deaths if it was in taiwan and none if in japan? What do you mean?

Greater Changhua 1 & 2a offshore wind farm has seen its first wind turbines put into service

6 Likes

Forumosans working in the wind power here?

Cheers. Link from the article is interesting as well. Will look through it more over the coming weeks :slight_smile:

https://www.geipc.tw/LiveEnergy.aspx#

1 Like

Taiwan is behind on Tsai’s goal of 20% clean energy by 2025. Currently we’re at 8%.

On the other hand, Taiwan is ahead of Japan and Korea in offshore wind power development.

Government support is great (especially in Tainan) but there is a lot of local opposition to solar. That’s the way with all new industries.

Some places have dual use fields that result in triple victory (win-win-win). No idea what they’re talking about.

1 Like

Things will always be pushed back unless there is a diligent and absolute deadline. If coal and nuclear were set to, without possibility of backing out, be ceased within 10 or whatever years it would be done because we have to. But no one is laying down the law and being responsible for it. We have gotten used to a deadline being more like a suggestion. complacency / lack of responsibility remains status quo.

Energy security is every bit as important as the china threat or other immediate threats to taiwan such as environmental (eg water). They are all interconnected at the same time.

I guess we can at least do the usual “better than previous politicians” type applause and give them the yank they so desperately seek for not being quite as inept as the previous administration :slight_smile:

If one were to put a date on it and without buildin a new similar type of plant. What year would you say the taichung smoke stacks get turned off, or used for back up only?

Or unless it’s cheaper than the alternatives, which it might already be without existing subsidies. Fixing that seems like the obvious starting point, to me.