No private messages for me, email me instead

Kindly disable users sending “private messages” to me.
Tell them to send me email at jidanni@jidanni.org instead.

It is unfortunate that the software you chose does not understand user who
feels it is silly that they should get an email telling them that they should go
check their private messages as if email hasn’t been invented yet or
they are afraid of spam, and there is no way to turn private messages
off, only to ignore notification thereof, which does not prevent the
sender from unwittingly sending them a private message which will be
ignored. It is almost as if the BBS system software was in the private
message business.

But if you ignore it in PM format, who’s to say you won’t also ignore it in email format? Eh? Eh?

Spammers tend to only want to visit a site once, and generally ask (if contact is desired) that readers use email or a phone to contact them, because they don’t plan on returning to the site where the PM box is. But discussion forums like this aren’t really that interested in the messages of fly-by-night spammers. If you want to join the conversation here, then by all means, do so. Stick around, and chat with us, in which case the PM box is right there in front of you in a very convenient spot.

I see on area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/ucp.php?i=165 :

Allow users to send you private messages: Yes No

So you must not be using the latest version.

My email is jidanni@jidanni.org, my phone is 04-25854780.
“You have a post card, you have a greeting, you have a private message” in my email box are just frustrating indirect emails.

[quote=“jidanni”]I see on area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/ucp.php?i=165 :

Allow users to send you private messages: Yes No

So you must not be using the latest version.[/quote]
Thanks, jidanni - I’ll point out this modification to techadmin and see if it’s compatible.

Anthony

Turn off notifications and check your PMs here if you don’t like getting both. If you’re hardly here, they can’t be that important.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Spammers tend to only want to visit a site once, and generally ask (if contact is desired) that readers use email or a phone to contact them, because they don’t plan on returning to the site where the PM box is. But discussion forums like this aren’t really that interested in the messages of fly-by-night spammers. If you want to join the conversation here, then by all means, do so. Stick around, and chat with us, in which case the PM box is right there in front of you in a very convenient spot.[/quote]I’m not sure if you’re aware that jidanni was actually joining the conversation here some time before either you or I were:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 2656#22656
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =2862#2862

Nope. I was being a bit grumpy before my morning coffee, and was rude. Sorry!

Isn’t there an option that allows you to not be notified through e-mail when a PM is sent to you?

So Jidanni is still in the land of the living after all. I’d been wondering. Have you just re-emerged from a mountain hermitage?

If I wanted to send you a message from or arising out of discussion on forumosa, i would always send it by PM rather than email, as my email address remains private that way. allows me to reply to you without the risk that you’re a nut who will then abuse my email account by spamming, scamming, or just bombarding me with crap i don’t want. I can turn off receiving a PM from an individual, but once you knew my email address i would have to change it at great inconvenience to myself.

[quote=“urodacus”]If I wanted to send you a message from or arising out of discussion on forumosa, I would always send it by PM rather than email, as my email address remains private that way. allows me to reply to you without the risk that you’re a nut who will then abuse my email account by spamming, scamming, or just bombarding me with crap I don’t want. I can turn off receiving a PM from an individual, but once you knew my email address I would have to change it at great inconvenience to myself.[/quote]Exactly. I have one address that I have only given to 3 people, including one person on here. And I’m getting spam on it. PMs are much more controllable and safer.

jidanni, would you like some website help? I went to your site and was quickly reminded of 1996. I also threw up in my mouth. I can point you in the right direction. Send me a PM!

:roflmao:

Yes I am still alive, but very old, having being born in 1960 一九六零.
So as useit.com/alertbox/seniors.html says, I prefer to
make and use uncluttered sites, and thus find Forumosa quite a
challenge.

As I filter jidanni.org/comp/spam/index.html , I need not hide it.

Don’t worry, jidanni, Frost is just jealous of your setup on the mountain (despite the noise problems). I didn’t see him touting anything useful on his site, after all. :laughing:

This is a really old (by internet standards) thread, but i am happy to have found it (thanks to Charlie Jack). :slight_smile:

I am a fan of 1990s style websites, and i design sites for my clients in the same manner…
At the end what counts is to be noticed where one needs to be noticed, there is nothing to be gained from trying to please the jaded masses.

Forumosa, too, is still reasonably uncluttered and easy to use -
this is a good opoortunity to let the owner and site support staff know of my appreciation.

:bow:

[for the feedback forum]