No Public Transport discounts for Foreigners - let's get this fixed

Oh I did the exact same. Even If there were no subsidies for anyone I would’ve bought an electric scooter as I don’t mind doing my part.

But being that my taxes pay for others subsidies and not myself… I bought the cheapest second hand scooter I could find

How about if you are 70 years old and a NWOHR national can you get a discount in any public transpo?

It has been almost a year since this thread started. Have there been any reactions on this issue?

2 Likes

Last I heard, no.

No, there wasn’t a big enough response from the community to take this forward.

:smiling_face_with_tear:

AFAIK no foreigners can be classified as disabled here, even those permanent residents paying NIH who have gone on to develop chronic diseases, which I find absolutely appalling and disgustingly discriminatory. This has all kinds of serious ramifications for them in accessing appropriate care and is a huge financial burden for them.
This is a much bigger issue than senior citizens discounts.

https://www.myseveralworlds.com/2023/04/28/taiwan-disability-inclusion-petition-time-for-change/

share and sign the petition to the government!!

15 Likes

I filed a complaint, was told too bad so sad.
You’re right, unless there is a groundswell of complaints, things don’t go anywhere

4 Likes

Rather than filing a complaint with transportation providers, can legal action be taken?

I mean, isn’t this a discriminatory policy?

That’s the thing, I’d love to go all out on a lawsuit, but this isn’t cheap. I figure I’d rather first work towards dual citizenship to be more efficient with the impact given the fact that we don’t have unlimited resources.

7 Likes

Could the new Social Welfare Basic Law help in this case?

The new law… covers [all areas of social welfare] such as social insurance, health care, employment and public housing…

From another article:

The law stipulates that the country should recognize that Taiwan is a multicultural society, and that citizens have equal opportunities to receive social welfare regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, region, ethnicity, religious belief, political philosophy, socioeconomic status, and other conditions.

I guess the key word here is citizens. In most countries, these kinds of laws would also apply to PR’s.

1 Like

Yeah, the writing there seems to make it pretty clear that it’s just talking about multiculturalism and equal opportunities for Taiwanese. :hugs:

2 Likes

Petition getting in the news :wheelchair:

A group of foreign residents with disabilities in Taiwan created a petition calling on the Ministry of Health and Welfare (MOHW) to enable permanent foreign residents to qualify for a disability certificate.

8 Likes

Just registered.

It is interesting that a foreigner that is disabled can’t travel the HSR with a disabled discount ticket but if an able foreigner accompanies a disabled Taiwanese they get the discount.
Really shows how the govt views foreigners

6 Likes

It’s probably because disabled Taiwanese complained about having to pay full price for their foreign slaves caregivers?

Yeah, I’ve done it too.

5 Likes

Seconded too

1 Like

Share in your social media as well. That’s how I found the petition .

Dumb question, but have you tried this, @fifieldt?

No dumb questions here, all ideas welcome.

So, as I understand it there are three kinds of relief that can be sought through law in Taiwan. I am not a lawyer.

1. Criminal – there’s no such thing as criminal discrimination in TW
  2. Civil – there’s no appropriate law covering civil discrimination on which a suit can be brought against a city
  3. Administrative – there’d be a formal administrative appeal at the city level, which on failing could be escalated to the control yuan. To do that you’d need to be someone affected by the issue, which I am not (TW national, under 65). Though, this is an option for foreign nationals who live in relevant cities.
2 Likes

might work

Taipei City Government 89.08.09. Fu Su Zi No. 8907019900 Appeal Decision

二、本件訴願理由略謂:
(一)原處分機關之處分未明確列出否准之法律依據,未提出有關不給予訴願人延期駕駛執照六年期之正當理由。本件內容涉及裁量處分之理由說明,即對其裁量時之法律及事實上之依據何在,未為必要之說明,故有瑕疵存在。
(二)查關於人民權利義務事項,應以法律定之,而法律應經立法院通過、總統公布,交通部八十七年八月二十日召開研商「外籍、大陸人士考領換領本國駕照期限規定等事宜」會議紀錄之結論,未經相關法律之授權訂定,亦非屬中央法規標準法所稱之「法律」。
(三)原處分機關否准訴願人換發六年效期之駕駛執照,係剝奪外僑之合法權益。

5 Likes