No to Cop Pay raise

That’s a non-sequitur if ever there was one. If the police force is institutionally corrupt - and it no doubt is - then higher salaries isn’t going to fix the problem. The corruption is far from isolated to the police and is surely endemic to many Taiwanese institutions. Judged on the generous waistlines of the average copper here, it would seem that a cop’s life is far from uncomfortable.

When you’ve had a lawyer slip you out of a bad spot, you’ll come to appreciate them. It was expensive, but worth every damn penny. Didn’t care much for the other guy’s land shark though. :wink:

not exactly small, but handsome? i say not. think how far that really goes. if you want to attract decent people a better salary will go a long way.

Paying higher salaries isn’t going to stop cops from taking bribes. If there’s one rule about human beings it’s that we always want more. No matter how much money you have - unless you’re rich and 100,000 NT is good but not rich - you always feel like you need just a little bit more, if you’re like most people.

C’mon, you’re not going to win brainstorm of the year award for that one.

if you pay a bus driver salary you’re going to attract bus driver quality of people. apologies to any bus drivers on here.

Paying higher salaries is a good idea in places, where the civil servant pay is below what’s needed to raise a family. That’s not the case here.

Making an ICAC style of organization (or get the investagive Yuan to do its job) might work out better.

C’mon, you’re not going to win brainstorm of the year award for that one.

if you pay a bus driver salary you’re going to attract bus driver quality of people. apologies to any bus drivers on here.[/quote]

Hey some of the bus drivers are really nice, they even broadcast each stop over a little mic. Not bad, isn’t it??

Yes I was going to suggest something like the ICAC in HK. But when we look at the way the children behave in the legislative assembly, is there any hope?

[quote=“Mr He”]Paying higher salaries is a good idea in places, where the civil servant pay is below what’s needed to raise a family. That’s not the case here.

Making an ICAC style of organization (or get the investagive Yuan to do its job) might work out better.[/quote]

Yes I think civil servants should be paid enough to raise their families :slight_smile: Brilliant idea Mr He.

Have you ever tried raising a family on $40,000 a month? We’re not talking a super attractive lifestyle here.

Making sure cops aren’t corrupt is one thing, attracting good people is another.

Entry level, your &*(%$#.

NT$40k is entry level. Raising a family in Denmark on 1 entry-level income would also be hard.

What I would like to know is what a 40 year old cop with 15 years on the beat under his belt get paid.

Mr. He wrote: What I would like to know is what a 40 year old cop with 15 years on the beat under his belt get paid.

Damn rights. I am curious too…That many years of work allows for connections to be made and graft to be procured. Being a cop can be quite lucrative. Thats how Thaksin made started out in Thailand…from cop to telecommunications magnate to PM.

[quote]Paying higher salaries isn’t going to stop cops from taking bribes. If there’s one rule about human beings it’s that we always want more. No matter how much money you have - unless you’re rich and 100,000 NT is good but not rich - you always feel like you need just a little bit more, if you’re like most people.
[/quote]

That’s right, but ont he other hand we shoudl pay more to attract better quality.

What’s needed is a concerted and simultaneous policy. A declaration - you can’t be on the take anymore, not even a cent, but to make up for it we’re raising your slalries substantially. Then kick off all the cops who don’t reform and replace them with new trainees attracted by the higher salaries. But of course there’s not the will for this at the moment.

Brian

Well, I would like to know what their pre-hongbao salary is, that is how much the government pays them before bribes etc.

Just noticed a couple of (surely they were cops) sitting in an unmarked black car with its boot up on Fuhsing North over the road from the Brass Monkey. Two un-uniformed chaps seemed to be playing with a speed radar looking thing focused on the same lane as the car was pointed. Bastards!

Give 'em a pay rise though. Keep 'em honest.

HG

On the beat under his belt? Is that how they pass the time? If so, and for 15 years, imagine the calluses! And hence, the callousness? Or why they often act as if they’re blind?

I just added a new page to the web site on this issue.
overseasamericans.tripod.com/ove … /id20.html
Feel free to send me any other suggestions.

On the beat under his belt? Is that how they pass the time? If so, and for 15 years, imagine the calluses! And hence, the callousness? Or why they often act as if they’re blind?[/quote]

You know what I mean. Stay on topic.

My dear Omni wrote: “Why, thank you, Formosa! And I always thought you were quite well disposed toward me, Tigerman, Sharky, Mother Theresa, Brian Kennedy, and others of our profession who post on this forum. It’s saddening to learn that you harbor such ill feelings towards us.”

Omni, I was JOKING. Jeez, have i lost my sense of humour? or what!

It was a joke within a joke within a joke. Maybe i didn’t wink long enough.

No, i hate lawyer jokes. Remember, my brother is a lawyer in Montreal.

I will ask this of Kennedy or whoever else knows the proposal: Why is a pay raise being considered? Are there similar ones being mulled for other civil servants? A 20 percent pay increase is phenomenal anywhere.
Thinking of the police here in Taiwan leaves me nearly comatose. Law enforcement is so fundamentally “broken” that a person hardly knows where to being to access what could be done to fix it. Maybe we should all just chant “rule of law” and call it square (there went the ghost of Hau Pei-tsun… :unamused: )