NO VICTORY! MORE PRESSURE! [Made by a child in Taiwan? ]

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Someone: Where do you live?
Me: Taiwan.
Someone: Oh, I hear the traffic is really bad in Bangkok.[/quote]

No wonder nobody knows where Taiwan is. Even the supposedly geographically-educated Europeans don’t know the difference between Taiwan and Thailand.

Agence France-Presse photo and caption:

A giant condom is displayed on the roof on a building in Taipei. Thailand’s teenagers are shunning the use of condoms in an alarming trend, the health ministry warned as it called for more campaigns to encourage their use for protection against diseases like HIV-AIDS.(AFP/File/Sam Yeh)

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 6uf_photo0

She sent me an email stating she posted an apology on her website. Of course, when I went to look at her website, what she described was not there. There was but a letter supposedly written to her. She had already forwarded it to me, quoting a couple informal websites with ‘evidence’ of the rampant child labor in Taiwan.

Here is her email to me… degrading this puny site and the harsh rhetoric:

OK let’s get CNA and the others on it.

The last letter does not smell, it stinks. Wrote by herself, I would say without having looked into it further.

Let’s start pestering her again.

And get the media on the case.

Change the name of the thread. She did not give in, just defused the critizism from us.

Also, this lady is a grower of fine dried fruits. Taiwan imports most of it’s fruit from the United States. Why is she shooting herself in the foot like this… perhaps for some free publicity?

No matter for us to decide. Rather go after her balls again.

Come on, I wrote to her and I have been used in a publicity stunt, designed to get her out of her predicament.

And so have you, BTW.

I say let’s get her!

Mr. He, continue to lambast her with emails. Then, we’ll fly our kids over and have them set up a Cho do fu stand right at her front gate :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

That’ll fix her!

I’ll get a letter together. I will post it here and hope that one of the pro editors will improve on it. Huang? Sandman?

then we can all send it to her under our own names. We can also throw it on US boards and hope that some more will jump in.

The Toudoufu stand is a good idea. Remember lots of pickles - I will make my big girl sell duck’s blood cakes next to the doufu stand.

Wow, I was wondering what she would finally put up on her website, and it looks like this one lady who still doesn’t really get it.

let’s remind her, gently, in a dried fruit kind of way. So she understands better and doesn’t print letters from that friend of hers who says there are reports underage Indonesians are working in Taiwan sweatshops or farms. What bunk! Just goes to show, we were right in the beginning to ask her for corrections … and look what we get!

Mary Jane, which side of the bread is your bread BUTTERed on?

She don’t actually say that there is child labor in Taiwan, but that Taiwanese companies in China, Indonesia and elsewhere use child labor.
That would be something for the Taiwanese government to follow up.

She is still wrong though, because she should then ask her “supporters” not to buy products made by child labor in China, Indonesia etc. - it is NOT

I agree with X3M, she really didn’t dig up much dirt on Taiwan child labor in her Internet search. It’s a lot easier to find evidence of child labor in the US. In your next letter maybe someone ought to send her clippings such as these:

Abusive Child Labor Found in U.S. Agriculture
U.S. Law Discriminates Against Child Farmworkers
(New York, June 20, 2000) – Hundreds of thousands of child farmworkers are laboring under dangerous and grueling conditions in the United States, Human Rights Watch charged in a report released today

hrw.org/press/2000/06/farmwrk0619.htm

Fifty-nine years after Congress outlawed child labor in its most onerous forms, underage children still toil in fields and factories scattered across America.

The poorest and most vulnerable among them start working before other children start kindergarten. Many earn wages below the legal minimum, often in exhausting, or even hazardous, jobs.

These children live in a world apart from most Americans, hidden from consumers and even the companies that buy the products of their labor. Yet those products can sometimes be as close as the local mall or the corner grocery.

In the past five months, The Associated Press found 165 children working illegally in 16 states, from the chili fields of New Mexico to the sweatshops of New York City.

hometown.aol.com/munmei/labor.html

Thanks MT. Let’s get on to it again!

I wonder, since a lot of kids seem to be working on farms, we better ask her if she is employing children.

How many children are picking grapes?

I think we should send the original quote and all the other follow up letters to all the Taiwan Economic and Trade offices throughout America. Send copies to Taiwan student associations and Taiwanese communities groups in America.

Why would she worry about us, let’s start some pressure on her own doorstep. Pressure near the stores where she sells her products. Hey, Taiwanese students in America could organise a boycott of her products.

Sure, it’s advertising for her, but the wrong kind.

Anyone have contacts with newspapers in the States. “Rogue band of ex-pats combat batty food lady” . Doesn’t she know that she has come up against a group that has way too much free time, evident by the number of posts we have on forumosa.

She couldn’t keep her word so I think that further action should be taken. I really think that pressing the right buttons with certain Taiwanese groups would really work wonders, she may not admit it online but she will regret not listening to this feirce little online community.

What do you think?

OK. I’ll take it. I will get the material together.

If you have some extra material, then email it:

heerge@yahoo.dk

I will then send it to the Taiwan offices in the US.

If someone else will get to the Taiwan groups?

I won’t post the e-mail addies of all the student associations but here are some websites with contact info.

umich.edu/~mtsa/home/index.html
ncsu.edu/stud_orgs/tsa/
usc.edu/dept/TSA/tsa.html
studentorgs.utexas.edu/tsa/
rpi.edu/dept/union/tsa/www/tsamain.html

Yikes! there are so many… here’s the google search page google.com/search?q=Taiwanes … rt=10&sa=N
Perhaps using this we could surround her with students who rally to any cause.

or Taiwanese community groups USA google.com/search?q=Taiwanes … ISO-8859-1

Taiwanese newspapers in America?

OK, I will drop them a line with the links tonight.

Hope that will fire them up a bit.

Now I’m mad. I will no longer use her name to refer to marijuana.

“I raised two kids without a toilet here,” she boasted. “No TV and no indoor plumbing.”
Both her children are grown but remain involved in her business, which has expanded from farming to include a line of organic dried foods such as soups, pastas, beans and meals.

Sounds like child abuse to me. How much work did she make her kids do?

perhaps you could suggest that she re-focus her clearly rather limited trailer-trash mentality on singling out companies closer to (her) home which have far more well documented transgressions against humanity and the environment than the incoherant trawlings her ill advised friend managed to turn up…

for a fairly comprehensive list check http://www.badcorp.com/

While I happily get a case together, I would suggest that we all write to her.