No water! What to do?

Hello!
I live in Xizhi city… last night and this morning, very little or nothing has been coming out of the faucet!
I paid my water bills so they couldn’t have cut it off~

Is there any news about a water crisis?
How long does water shortage usually last?
What do you do in your household when this kind of thing happens?
Anyone else in Xizhi having this problem…?

I’m worried because I’m not prepared right now… haven’t done my laundry. PANIC!

Ask the neighbors whats up.

It’s probably isolated to your building or your city block since I haven’t heard of any water shortages and I live in Kaohsiung and we have an actual shortage (but no interruptions). I do remember one day earlier this summer when our water was out. But I also heard A LOT of water running in a pipe on my balcony so I’m assuming that they needed to maintenance on the water system (or just flush it). And the water was back in a couple of hours.

do you have the water stations that look like coin operated gas stations in your area? They are everywhere in Kaohsiung. That won’t help you with your laundry but you can get drinking/cooking/flushing/bathing (although cold) water.

They’ve likely just cleaned the water tank on top of your building and not bothered to give you a head’s up since they don’t know how to tell you in English.

Yep, I know the feeling -current MRT construction nearby leaves us without water or electricity frequently. It is not a water shortage: this summer we are safe because, in spite of no typhoons, we have enough rain up in the mountains, where it matters most. Fills up the reservoirs.

1. Check your building’s entrance or public announcement board. Usually, the announcements of this kind are bright pink or yellow.

2. Ask the building’s guard to verify if they are washing the tank, as stated above. No guard, then whoever is in charge in teh building -very important person to be friends with, carry fruit or cookies or cakes and keep em coming. You never know when it will be useful/necessary…

I generally drink canned beer, so I don’t notice all that often. My kid often goes a bit pale and gaunt though after a few days.

Now you’ve got me worried too. Am I supposed to do laundry? Eek!

Seriously though. Its likely just a passing thing. It will likely be right back to normal in a few weeks.

The dead body in the water tank has blocked your pipes.

There’s a United Daily News article that seems to be saying (warning: I used Google’s machine translator) that Xizhi will have some kind of water restrictions on September 1, but I can’t imagine how that would affect your water today.

Here’s the United Daily News article:
udn.com/NEWS/LIFE/LIF1/5815179.shtml

Hello everyone!
I went out of the house for lunch and came back at 5pm… the water is back! Did all my laundry and cleaning for the day before the water gets cut off again. So all is well for now!

Thanks a lot for the replies…

Tommy~
I can’t speak Chinese yet so I have to snoop on my own for now -__-

Abacus~
Thanks for the suggestion… I’ll check the area for water stations. I was thinking of buying those big mineral water bottles from wellcome if the water doesn’t come back by night time… my mom would freak if I did that though…

housecat~
I was also thinking they probably told everyone but me… I’ve experienced this before in my old building when they shut down the electricity and water during CNY and I got sick because I wasn’t prepared and had nowhere to go… I’m scared of that happening again.

Icon~
Thanks very much for your reply… I really hope there is no water shortage for the rest of the summer. Or at least not on Sundays when I do all my house chores… today really caught me unawares…
They do have some announcements in the board right now but I can’t read any of them. Maybe one of them is about this weekend’s water. Usually, I just watch out for dates and that’s the only time I have someone translate the post. I never saw anything about this weekend though so it could be unexpected.
There is an admin office where I need to pay the management fees… I guess I need to get chummy with them :laughing:

sulavaca~
lmao you’re funny!
how can you drink that stuff! and your poor kid ~___~

Marty~
Creepy… well I guess the body has been dislodged and floating freely because my pipes are working again! Yay!

Charlie Jack~
ACK! PANIC!
Thanks for this article. Now I must find someone to translate it! I hope it’s nothing seriously awful!! Although if that is the dam, the water level looks pretty low…hmmm…

[quote=“bigbeauties”]Charlie Jack~
ACK! PANIC!
Thanks for this article. Now I must find someone to translate it! I hope it’s nothing seriously awful!! Although if that is the dam, the water level looks pretty low…hmmm…[/quote]

You’re welcome, but neither the machine translation nor my interpretation of it is trustworthy, so I hope someone translates it for you.

Glad you got your water turned back on. :slight_smile:

Big,

No offense, but you should have water stored anyway because of earthquakes/typhoons. You can buy containers for several gallons of water in most hardware stores. Drinking water: at least a gallon. Check relevant threads for info.

Laundry? Not a biggie. Cheap laundromats aplenty. House cleaning? Oh well, one week won’t hurt. :smiley:

I can’t imagine there’d be a water shortage given how much it rained earlier this year.

There is a water shortage in Xizhi, so there are water restrictions in place. Water pressure at night is reduced. This is official.

But with the current downpour, I would guess that the water restrictions will end soon.

Water shortage is a sure sign that it’s time to start learning Chinese. :smiley:

Icon~
After this weekend, I will buy those sealed water containers… lesson learned! I never really gave it a thought…
Thanks again!

Chris~
True… how can there be water shortage in Xizhi when it rains here a lot :frowning:

elburro~
Thanks for confirming! So unlucky :X

GC Rider~
:stuck_out_tongue: lol yes yes…
i must start learning to prevent laundry troubles in the future!