Nobel Peace Prize 2010

Liu Xiaobo is currently frontrunner, though there is some opposition -and not from where you would expect. Other names in the ring include Sima Samar and Rebiya Kadeer, according to international press sources. Anyways, it will be an interesting selection process this year.

[quote]Leading contenders for the 2010 prize:

• Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo

• The European Union and former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl

• Afghan women’s rights campaigner Sima Samar

• Chinese Uighur activist Rebiya Kadeer

• Zimbabwe’s Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai

• The International Criminal Court

• The Democratic Voice of Burma, an Oslo-based radio and television station that beams in news to military-ruled Myanmar

• Argentine rights group Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo
    [/quote]
    msnbc.msn.com/id/39561431/ns … ws-europe/

The announcement is at 5pm Taiwan time. It will be broadcast live on YouTube at youtube.com/thenobelprize

So it was given to the Chinese agitator and subversive.

The Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Liu Xiaobo (劉曉波) for “his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China.”

The Nobel Committee’s press release nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peac … press.html

The mood around the office has suddenly become quite glum now that the Nobel Committee has hurt the feelings of all the Chinese people.

Well, he’s an agitator and subversive, according to the China Daily. My God! I mean they gave BUSH a peace prize! So I know who I tend to believe.

China says that he’s a “criminal”, and are naturally fucking furious about the decision. The award was not broadcast in China of course. Boy those commies are insecure. The Chinese also said that awarding Liu the peace prize would damage relations between China and Norway. Except that the Norweigan government has no input or say into deciding who gets the prize (I think). Well I’m glad they gave it to him, because it couldn’t have been a bigger “fuck you” to China if they’d sent Hu Jintao this in an email.

P.S. Since he’s Chinese his name is 刘晓波 NOT 劉曉波, yes there is a difference, so much so that an entire 1.5 hour lesson was devoted to it when I was in Shanghai.

I’m very happy with the decision.

Hey China: stop whining and take it like a man!! :nyah:

The Norwegian government was warned about giving the prize to Liu Xiaobo before it was given to him, and after he got it the Norwegian ambassador in Bejing has to meet at the Chinese foreign ministry. Although the Nobel Committee consists of many earlier Norwegian politicians, the Norwegian government has no more say in this committee’s decision than they have in deciding the actions of a private Norwegian company.

Bush never received the Nobel peace prize. Got him mixed up with Obama me thinks.

The Norwegian government was warned about giving the prize to Liu Xiaobo before it was given to him, and after he got it the Norwegian ambassador in Bejing has to meet at the Chinese foreign ministry. Although the Nobel Committee consists of many earlier Norwegian politicians, the Norwegian government has no more say in this committee’s decision than they have in deciding the actions of a private Norwegian company.[/quote]

Yeah, what do they expect him to say? He’s going to apologise for that? If I were him I would say “no, we don’t give a fuck what China has to say about this, futhermore we expect his unconditional release from prison, and if you don’t like it you can fuck off.”

[quote=“ninman”]Well I’m glad they gave it to him, because it couldn’t have been a bigger “fuck you” to China if they’d sent Hu Jintao this in an email.

[/quote]

So, does anyone have Hu Jintao’s email address?

And well done, Liu Xiaobo. Congratulations and all that.

Yeah, he deserved it for sure. The really sad part about all of this is what the majority of Chinese people (the one’s who know about him at least) think of him. Most of them honestly believe he deserves to be in prison. One comment from this news article.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11499098

"Every country has its own faith and culture. You Western countries shouldn’t look at us through your own eyes. We have our own faith and culture to follow. Since Liu Xiaobo is Chinese, he must follow Chinese rules. So he is not the human rights fighter and he doesn’t deserve the prize. "

That’s pretty typical. Here’s hoping he gets out sooner rather than later. Yeah if anyone has Hu Jintao’s email address I’d love to know what it is.

You know, the Chinese invented the internet.

I’ve always found the Ig Nobel Prize to be far more relevant than the dubious Peace Prize.

This year’s winners include those honoured for such vital work in the realms of slime mold, fellatio among fruit bats, whale snot, cursing, and bearded scientists.

[quote]Engineering: Karina Acevedo-Whitehouse and Agnes Rocha-Gosselin of the Zoological Society of London, UK, and Diane Gendron of Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Baja California Sur, Mexico, for perfecting a method to collect whale snot, using a remote-control helicopter.
Medicine: Simon Rietveld of the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and Ilja van Beest of Tilburg University, The Netherlands, for discovering that symptoms of asthma can be treated with a roller coaster ride.
Transportation Planning: Toshiyuki Nakagaki, Atsushi Tero, Seiji Takagi, Tetsu Saigusa, Kentaro Ito, Kenji Yumiki, Ryo Kobayashi of Japan, and Dan Bebber, Mark Fricker of the UK, for using slime mold to determine the optimal routes for railroad tracks.
Physics: Lianne Parkin, Sheila Williams, and Patricia Priest of the University of Otago, for demonstrating that, on icy footpaths in wintertime, people slip and fall less often if they wear socks on the outside of their shoes.
Peace: Richard Stephens, John Atkins, and Andrew Kingston of Keele University, UK, for confirming the widely held belief that swearing relieves pain.
Public Health: Manuel Barbeito, Charles Mathews, and Larry Taylor of the Industrial Health and Safety Office, Fort Detrick for determining by experiment that microbes cling to bearded scientists.
Economic: The executives and directors of Goldman Sachs, AIG, Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, and Magnetar for creating and promoting new ways to invest money — ways that maximize financial gain and minimize financial risk for the world economy, or for a portion thereof.
Chemistry: Eric Adams, Scott Socolofsky, Stephen Masutani and British Petroleum, for disproving the old belief that oil and water don’t mix.
Management: Alessandro Pluchino, Andrea Rapisarda, and Cesare Garofalo of the University of Catania, Italy, for demonstrating mathematically that organizations would become more efficient if they promoted people at random.
Biology: Libiao Zhang, Min Tan, Guangjian Zhu, Jianping Ye, Tiyu Hong, Shanyi Zhou, and Shuyi Zhang of China, and Gareth Jones of the University of Bristol, UK, for scientifically documenting fellatio in fruit bats.
improbable.com/ig/winners/#ig2010[/quote]