Noise-Cancelling Headphones

Um, because almost the entire population is already completely immune to noise? Just a wild guess…[/quote]

:roflmao: Huh? Did you say something?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]So, I was walking through the Taipei airport with time to kill before my flight and I decided to see if they had NCHs in the duty-free electronic store. They did – a couple of types, including Philips SBC HN060, in the ear type for only about US$50. My wife wasn’t with me, so there was nothing to stop me. I figured what the hell, just $50, if they work great. They don’t. I used them briefly on the flight but was extremely disappointed. I guess they make a very small difference but not much. So I blew $50; they’ll probably get very little further use from me.

Then in hte US over CNY my wife dragged me factory outlet shopping and we came across a BOSE factory outlet. Cool. I ran inside to check out the prices. Damn. The same outrageous prices as everywhere else (I forget exactly – US$299?). But they also had a set up to try out a couple of models: the older, over the ear, and the newer, smaller version. I tried both and made a discovery.

Great as the BOSE headphones may be, even those don’t do what I expected. Maybe I was naive, but I thought they would block out noise so that, without listening to music, they put you in a silent cocoon. They don’t do that. The best ones may make music, or inflight movies, slightly more enjoyable and allow one to listen at a lower volume, but they definitely don’t block out all noise or even most noise. If one is not listening to music I would think all models (except the BOSE maybe) would be pretty much useless.

I may still buy a pair of BOSE NCHs some day, but my expectations have been seriously adjusted. They’re not really noise-cancelling headphones; they’re noise-reducing (very slightly) headphones.[/quote]

Yea I think you may have had to much expectations for the noise cancelling aspect of the headphones… more like noise muffling. I do like noise cancelling headphones for flights and general commutes though as they do muffle alot of the more annoying noises when you’re out and about but you do have to be more cautious as your hearing is impaired. The over the ear types don’t agree well with me… I think it’s cause I have kinda big fat ears and the headphones resting on them get uncomfortable after awhile. I do like my cheapo Sony in-ear headphones. Not the noise muffling power of NHCs but they do block just enough to get enjoyable music listening.

I’m thinking about getting the Sony Fontopia In-ear Noise Cancelling headphones. amazon.com/Sony-MDR-NC11-Fon … B00006JILM

Most negative reviews were from high expectations not being met.

I was in the hoity-toity stereo store at the Global Mall and they had a pair of Phillips headphones for about 1500NT. I’ll definitely pick up a pair before I fly to the States again.

I got a pair of these from the apple store. Fantastic. I cant hear a pin drop with them on. And the sound quality is excellent. They look pretty nice to boot. $350 I think.

That’s a good price.

I use MDR-V700 DJ headphones. No noise cancellation necessary. They are enclosed and therefore, block out a very large percentage of noise the old fashioned way (with mass). They have 50mm drivers (lots of bass) and sound very good. If I remember correctly, they cost around US $140 (if you can still get them).

Here’s a picture of them in action:

klubitus.org/liitteet/621159d41d8.jpg

I used to spend a lot of time on planes in redeyes. Bose. Bose. Bose.

He means USD. Not NTD.

Get a pair of decent earplugs.

He’s right. These NT$10 foam earplugs will blow away the $300 Bose.

store.pchome.com.tw/millerhohoho/M03533826.htm

I find them more comfortable than the 3M ones.

I use them every time I fly.

He means USD. Not NTD.[/quote]
That’s too bad. I think the technology is fascinating so I’d like to have some even though I don’t need them. They would come in handy on the airplane. Anything is better than the ones they supply. Even earplugs.

(Santa Claus? Are you paying attention?)

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]

I got a pair of these from the apple store. Fantastic. I cant hear a pin drop with them on. And the sound quality is excellent. They look pretty nice to boot. $350 I think.[/quote]

Could you hear a pin drop with them off?

[quote=“petr0lb0mb”]Here’s a picture of them in action:
[/quote]
Whoa… NSFW!!!

What if my boss had been walking by? :fume:

Hehe. Sorry!

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“Lo Bo To”]

I got a pair of these from the apple store. Fantastic. I cant hear a pin drop with them on. And the sound quality is excellent. They look pretty nice to boot. $350 I think.[/quote]

Could you hear a pin drop with them off?[/quote]

Listen ta what I mean not what I say.

OK guys I really need your help. INEXPENSIVE Noise Cancelling Headphone, hi-fi, not too important. Decent average sound is OK. They are needed for listening to Audio Books and classroom notes on the bus.

I would prefer a store with a good return policy because, they are being bought for a somewhat particular person who really doesn’t like anything over her ears. However, if they are decent enough, I’ll take them for myself. I currently use those over the ears cheap headphone, that are not noise cancelling, look bulky, pinches the ears but at least keeps out the noise.

Thanks so much… Its for a belated birthday gift so please help out …

TS, if you need inexpensive and are just using it on the bus for lo-fi stuff, just get an earbud that has the silicon seals to your ears. These usually come with three sets of silicon plugs so you can use that one that silences the best. I use an el-cheapo pair of Skull Candies when I am doing anything where I am risking losing or otherwise damaging the headset.

If you’re going to sleep on a plane or something, then active noise cancellation is great, but for what you asked for, you can’t beat an inexpensive pair of sealed ear buds.

sorry i missed this thread as have some experience to offer.

if, as the OP, you want plain noise cancelling without music - just get those cheapo earplugs.

if you want noise cancelling and to listen to music, say on the bus, the best I can recommend is the Sony NWZ-S745. I have had this walkman for a few years and, besides having great sound quality and excelent battery life (both better than any ipod), they also come with noise cancelling earphones. The ear buds are already in-ear, and so cut out a fair amount but they also have noise cancelling which makes them perfect for listening to music or anything on flights or on bus or train journeys. The noise cancelling function is excellent at blocking out those persistent buzzing sounds of the engine and the road and mean you can listen to really nice relaxing music (or voice) quietly, in a sound cocoon. I comes with an adapter for use on in-flight entertainment systems, you can also use it to listen to your laptop with noise cancelling.

it is a complete unit, however the price is good at ~6-7k. One could also just get the in-ear 'phones such as those from Shure, but I think the noise cancelling function does add that extra functionality of blocking out those mechanical sounds made by public transport, etc. That said I now listen with Shure 215s (on the same walkman, now all my files are encoded as .wav not mp3 :discodance: :discodance: )

review: http://asia.cnet.com/product/sony-walkman-nwz-s745-16gb-45086686.htm

you can also buy the noise cancelling headphones separately, for use with other players http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/DGAF2B-A59911023

Sorry for resurrecting old threads, but this is basically an update.

Screenshot_20190107-012829

So Bose and Sony go for about 9k in Taiwan. TT can be bought for 3k. Being stingy I would go for the TT unless they had some serious flaw.

1 Like

Sorry…this question is open to anyone with noise canceling headphones.

How well do they work garbage trucks?
I don’t mean standing next to one, more from the 20th floor and the truck is a few streets away.

Recently noticed 3 waves of trucks in the evenings. The last wave, i hear in the distance from 8.40 to about 9.15.

Ill probably move if i can’t somehow cancel the sound.

Honestly, at this point, it’s the noise pollution that’s the worst for me here. From kids practicing recorders, to full on construction, to now 30 minutes everyday of garbage trucks.

I guess i should be thankful, friends in Taichung delt with 7.30am trucks daily. Going home, dude says, if not for those trucks, we’d probably have stayed in Taiwan. Either move apartment…or just go home.