Noise complaint

Went through something similar recently also in dealing with a neighbor regarding noise related issues. Are you sure you didn’t just go to the initial mediation process before an actual full blown lawsuit? Because I was also placed in a small room with a mediator on the side with the other party sitting across with plexi glass between us. Lawyers weren’t required at this stage but I did hire one any way.

How did it go? Do you think their complaints were fair?

1 Like

It was not mediation. It was held at a district court. There were no lawyers, although we could have used one if we wanted, so could the plaintiff.
I was prevented from entering the room, as the case only named my wife and my children. So only they were permitted to enter.
In the room there was the plaintiff, a magistrate, a court reporter, my wife & children, and the plaintiff (husband & wife).

1 Like

Dang I’m surprised the prosecutor even moved forward with this, as something as simple as a noise complaint to begin with, proof or no proof. They usually throw these cases out before it would even get that far.

1 Like

The downstairs neighbor (plaintiff) had two folders of “evidence” and a CD of recorded sounds. It was funny because some of it predated our arrival date, and some of the recordings were of people arguing in the Taiwanese language which nobody in our house can speak. The prosecutor asked the plaintiff to prove that any of their ‘evidence’ could be linked to us. They couldn’t.

The main reason it made it to district court was my son pressed the downstairs doorbell a few times. They had security camera footage of this. They were trying to prosecute him for criminal harassment. But he was too young (13), and he was operating on his own accord (i.e. us parents didn’t know he did it until after the fact).

1 Like