Nomadic Life still possible?

How long will it be before nomads are gone in “Developed” countries.
I mean truly nomadic like non settled Irish travellers, Romany Gypsies etc. ?
We are moving into a cashless society , most banks require some residency or fixed address unless you’re very wealthy. Most countries do not allow long term parking , you will get moved on.
Even if you have a property in the UK and don’t live there you’d still be liable for council tax.
Yes, it is still possible but isn’t easy. I remember 40 years ago the British. government was strongly trying to make Travellers settled.
Now in Taiwan it would almost be impossible to live nomadically , I don’t mean homeless I mean as a nomad , in say a mobile home. Doesn’t every citizen have to have a Household Registration.

Took these photos a few years ago when was in Niger, West Africa. One of nomadic Fulani tribes moving around Sahel and Sahara. Fancy to move there from your “Developed” country? But I guess the biggest problem is to negotiate with them to accept you to their nomadic tribe… Maybe via marriage and bringing some dowry? By the way, no internet there, and have to shit outside openly in the desert, as there are no toilet facilities in nomadic life, and no trees in the desert :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope wouldn’t want that but I have lived similar to this
I wouldn’t do that now as you will get more harassed by government than 40 years ago.

Living in your car/van is becoming more popular on Youtube, due to high real estate prices.

Taiwan has that living in shipping container movement for a while, can’t see it really taking off though as most Taiwanese are happy living with parents.

1 Like

Nomads doing like herding and stuff have no land to do so in developed countries. It’s possible to be a nomad relying on begging and petty crimes, of course, as long as it’s tolerated by the authorities for humanitarian reason. But that’s not rely a romantic lifestyle.

1 Like

Time to replace Taiwan with Thailand.

Will always be nomad-friendly.

1 Like

Travel living is the latest trend!

With over 40 countries issuing digital nomad visas plus existing options why live in one location permanently?

1 Like

Don’t think this thread is about

2 Likes

Yeah, but how many of them live where they’re registered?

1 Like

These are phenomenal photos!!!

2 Likes