Non-appearance of Amazon.co.uk order

First time I’ve had this problem. According to the order history, it should have arrived at the end of Sept. It was shipped on the 13th. Amazon.co.uk has already charged my credit card.
It was being shipped Royal Mail to my office, which has a 24-hour security desk, so there’s no way it was delivered when there was nobody home.

Anybody know how I can check whether the package has been held up somewhere or something?

If you shipped by mail then all Amazon tell you is that it has been shipped - with UPS etc you can usually track. That said - Sept 13th and your complaining already??? My most recent dealings with Amazon - shipped in Feb arrived in late April early May. Sent about 8 mails to their customer complaint dept - ZERO response… and yes they debit the credit card long long long before you get your books.

My advice - cancel their bill on the credit card telling your credit card company you never received the goods - and then enjoy the books when they finally arrive. Amazon need to learn they are a service industry!

Isn’t it up to Amazon to sort this out ? Did it ever leave the UK ? I sent a letter by Swiftair to China last year, and it got as far as Manchester where it languished for 7 days and was then returned to sender.

Well, maybe I’m being a bit hasty, but I’m only going by the info on their help page, which suggested delivery around Sept. 26-28.
But can I really just cancel the credit debit and keep the books? Won’t I get whacked by a posse of Amazon international hit-men or something?

I’m doubly pissed off because I used to order from bol.com (thanks Cranky!), which charged just a tenner for postage, irrespective of the size of the package. Their stuff always arrived in around 12 days. However, they recently changed their site, and they also no longer ship overseas.

Yeah, you should be able to track the status of your order.

Side issue - I’ve always ordered from Amazon US. Is Amazon UK cheaper for shipping do you know?

Or for that matter, what about Amazon.ca? Has anyone done the math?

I did the sums last night. There seems to be no advantage to be had and Amazon.US is slightly cheaper. Books in the UK were more pricey but the shipping cost to Taiwan was slightly lower, I only compared two book prices and standard shipping though so there may be other differences.

I always use US Amazon and their service has been great. I ship through UPS and pay for 3-day service. It’s expensive but I’ve had packeages sent all the way from their warehouse in Nevada to Yung Ho in four days. That’s fast!!

I had a package not arrive from Amazon (US) and so i contacted them and a second shipment of the complete order was sent straight away, no questions asked.

A friend in Taichung had a similar thing happen and he contacted Amazon with the same result but his original package came a few days before the replacements arrived. When he got back to Amazon to ask what to do with the extra package they suggested donating them to the local library!!

I don’t mean to sound like a member of the Amazon.com booster club but I have never had anything but good service. It’s far more convenient than actually travelling to Taipei to purchase books. I’ve actually ordered a few books on Monday and have them in time to read on the weekend all without paying expedited shipping.

For some reason my wife decided to try Amazon.ca and the shipping time was considerably longer. Didn’t pay attention to any difference in price.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to request paperback versions from Amazon? I only ever receive hardbacks and i much prefer the paperback versions.

It usually says paprerback/hardback next to the book. I guess they automatically send a hardback if there’s on paper version.

:blush: :blush: :blush: If any of you are having stuff sent over via mail order, it is a really good idea to make sure you put THE CORRECT ADDRESS on your order. There are morons among us who fail to do this and therefore do not always recieve their parcels. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Now I need to go to the post office to see if they have returned my package to Amazon.

Those of you who order from Amazon US, please consider ordering through Segue’s affiliate links (they’re here somewhere… maybe Gus can help us).

Segue makes a modest 5% but every little bit helps to pay for hosting, domain registration. Maybe someday it will pay for Happy Hour too!

J.

How do we do that?

Maybe Amazon wrote “Republic of China” on the address label, and then it was sent to China by mistake!