Non-slip fisherman's shoes?

For the river trace this weekend. Er, tomorrow.

Preferably, is there a store that sells them located somewhere near an MRT so I don’t have to go wandering around Taipei lost?

Not sure if these are what you want but the first camping store (Metro Oasis) on Zhongshan N Rd and Bade has some short boots with heavy duty felt type soles.

Near to Taipei Main exit 7

I got a pair of the shoes last night near Xindian MRT station because there are many fishing tool stores in the vicinity of Bitan.
I can’t remember if there are other fishing tool stores along MRT green line or red line.

The place you want to go (especially if you have big Western feet, because it’s the only place I was able to find them in my size) is MetrOasis, just up Zhongshan from the northeast corner of Zhongshan N. Rd. and Civic Blvd. Closest MRT is Taipei Main Station.

They cost about 350/pair for the ordinary slip-on MetrOasis brand that don’t cover the ankle. The ones that cover the ankle are about twice the price.

Ask for fang3hua2xie2.

Buy some TEVA’s or the local knock-off named DIADORA.

Both are perfect for wet work…as in water activities.
The DIADORA sandals are as good as TEVA’s but for a shorter period of time.
TEVA - 2, 3 - 4 years of intensive wear
DIADORA - 1 maybe 2 years of stompin around

[quote=“Chris”]The place you want to go (especially if you have big Western feet, because it’s the only place I was able to find them in my size) is MetrOasis, just up Zhongshan from the northeast corner of Zhongshan N. Rd. and Civic Blvd. Closest MRT is Taipei Main Station.

They cost about 350/pair for the ordinary slip-on MetrOasis brand that don’t cover the ankle. The ones that cover the ankle are about twice the price.

Ask for fang3hua2xie2.[/quote]

What he said. Basically, they look like neoprene ankle boots, with soles made out of grey carpet (no shit).

[quote=“Chris”]The place you want to go (especially if you have big Western feet, because it’s the only place I was able to find them in my size) is MetrOasis, just up Zhongshan from the northeast corner of Zhongshan N. Rd. and Civic Blvd. Closest MRT is Taipei Main Station.

Ask for fang3hua2xie2.[/quote]

Perfect! I don’t have the big Western feet problem, but as long as they have women’s 6.5-7.5 I’m set. Thanks much!

750 at that Metro store or 400 at one of the many fishing shops around the Xindian MRT.
Don’t get the shoes. Get the ankle boots, as they’re much better if you get your foot stuck between a couple of rocks or something.
TC, if you’re wearing rubber-soled sandals you don’t know what you’re missing. There’s no comparison with felt soles. None.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Buy some TEVA’s or the local knock-off named DIADORA.

Both are perfect for wet work…as in water activities.
The DIADORA sandals are as good as TEVA’s but for a shorter period of time.
TEVA - 2, 3 - 4 years of intensive wear
DIADORA - 1 maybe 2 years of stompin around[/quote]

Both suck canal water on Taiwan’s moss-covered river/ocean rocks. Until I found size 13 felt booties I used Teva rafter slip on’s, which are supposed to be the shit for all manner of water activities. They suck. Diadora…Even worse.

The felt bottom booties chew right through the moss and slime to the bare rock underneath. The dive site I frequent has a very slippery entry that I used to have to crawl on my hands and knees to get into. No longer. A few years ago I discovered that Metroasis in Chungli had Felties in my size. I bought every pair they had, and have never looked back.

They are a shore-diving Scuba-diver’s/River tracer’s best friend.

If you aren’t sure what you are looking for…These are the ones I picked up at Metroasis back in 05 for 299NT. After many, many trips they are still gripping strong. The higher ones (we use for diving) are about 450NT if memory serves.

Booties are for girlymen…I’m talkin sandals…made for river rafting and running along the rocks and shoreline…

These protect the feets, drain quickly and provide stable purchase on slippery terrain.

Sorry, TC, but those really are useless in Taiwan. I’ve gone river-tracing with so many people who have worn things like those, and they’ve always, always have problems with them.

The cheap, locally made fishermen’s shoes, as described by the others in this thread, are by far the best for the purpose.

Somimi, if you can’t make it to MetroOasis, you can find what you want in any fishing store. And as fishing is so popular in Taiwan, there are fishing stores almost wherever you look. There are at least half a dozen within half a kilometre of where I live, and I’m sure there should be plenty of them out where you are.

I pay only NT$250~300 for mine (I prefer the ones without the ankle support because they’re easier to get on and off). And they last really well - the ones I’m currently using, which I bought last summer, have already taken me safely up and down creeks and streams at least a hundred times.

Omni -
Worn them for literally decades in river, lakes, oceans and on the fringes of such.
Excellent footwear for activities such as this. Their origins is with river guides who became familiar with the footwear worn by Israeli desert troops and they improvised and evolved from there.

But the booties are a favorite with scuba-people and the fashionable beach crowd who want to protect their feets from rocks and the occasional coral along the water-line.

You’re wrong wrong wrong TC. I have NT$3,000 Chaco Canyon sandals, made specifically for river rafting guides, and they are crap compared to the NT$400 neoprene boots. Simply no comparison whatsoever. I can’t even remember the number of times I’ve been held up on walks waiting for sandal-wearers to catch up and tending to the wounds they receive slipping and sliding all over the place, or worse, simply being unable to negotiate the river at all.
The girly men make it to where they want to go. The manly sandal wearers don’t. It’s that simple. And you ARE aware, of course, that every stream in Taiwan has vendors at the top selling fresh warm quiche and brightly coloured drinks with paper umbrellas in them? Not much of an attraction for manly men with stubbed toes and grazes, I realize, but a welcome treat for the rest of us.

Sandy -
Not the 1st time I’ve been wrong and won’t be the last time.
I watched the evolution of the reinforced beach bootie and understand their value. I guess I was just misunderstanding what was being asked here.
My apologies…

Just got back from a trip to MetroOasis…such an apt name, by the way…

ZhongShan N. is actually lined with outdoor gear stores, so I stopped at a couple. Ended up going with Omni’s advice and getting a pair from MO though. I had no idea what to visualize with irishstu’s description, but that is in fact what they are…neoprene booties with carpet for soles…

Well color me the grey of that carpet!

Anyway, even better, my Saturday ShiDa class was canceled, which alleviates my worries of getting behind. I’m looking forward to this hike!

Thanks for all the advice.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Sandy -
Not the 1st time I’ve been wrong and won’t be the last time.
I watched the evolution of the reinforced beach bootie and understand their value. I guess I was just misunderstanding what was being asked here.
My apologies…[/quote]

TC, you forgot the slime is slimier in Taiwan. :laughing:

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]TC, you forgot the slime is slimier in Taiwan. :laughing:

HG[/quote]HGC -
Some time I’ll tell you about the US$100,000 shipment of Chinese spirulina I rejected because of heavy metal and mercury contamination.

Talk about useless slime!