Non-US folk, the classic films from your home country are?

For the purposes of this thread, I’m not really interested in American movies as we have ALL had easy access to them for ages.

But what are the classics from round your way?
The UK has had some right classics over the years: Quadrophenia, The Long Good Friday, shitloads of good films about the Northern Ireland troubles (In the Name Of the Father, the Crying Game etc) Brassed off… I’m sure there are others when I sit and think about it…

what about you lot?

I’d like a burn of Quadrophenia. And Brassed Off. Just sayin’, like. :wink:
And Local Hero. And Gregory’s Girl.

[quote=“sandman”]I’d like a burn of Quadrophenia. And Brassed Off. Just sayin’, like. :wink:
And Local Hero. And Gregory’s Girl.[/quote]

I have no idea what you are talking about! Anyways… did you catch This Is England yet?

The Gods Must Be Crazy, Tsotsi, District 9.

My fav. especially since my son looks like one of its characters and even has a tongue clicking language.

Well, are Hindi films allowed, or will that be inundation. I promise, only to post a FEW good ones.

Nah, go ahead love. I want my mind to be opened to Bollywood. Like anything, you have to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Are there any without all that singing and dancing? I mean movies, not musicals? :stuck_out_tongue:

(Yes, I’m that ignorant.)

Speaking of British films, I really liked Gary Oldman’s “Nil By Mouth”.

Yeah its a bit of class that film. Based on Gary Oldman’s childhood… but warning to others, you need to be in the right frame of mind before watching it. It’s not exactly light viewing is it?

Yeah its a bit of class that film. Based on Gary Oldman’s childhood… but warning to others, you need to be in the right frame of mind before watching it. It’s not exactly light viewing is it?[/quote]
Probably the most hardcore film I’ve seen.

‘Roja’ is a beautiful Tamil movie dubbed in Hindi. It does have songs and and the most beautiful music ever written by Rehman who wrote ‘Jai ho’ for Slumdog millionnaire. The movie is a romantic one, and yet it handles terrorism in Kashmir beautifully.

Brassed Off! LOVE that film.

The Full Monty?

And Waking Ned Devine. And The Commitments. Hope and Glory.

From Holland (or the “Netherlands”, whatever…) that would be:

Turks Fruit (1973)
Director: Paul Verhoeven, he later became famous as a director in the USA too (he did Speed for instance)
Actors: Rutger Hauer, Monique van de Ven
Genre: drama, this one was most famous in the 70-ies for showing full nudes, unknown in those days all over Europe, except Sweden maybe.

Keetje Tippel (1975)
Director: Paul Verhoeven
Actors: Rutger Hauer, Monique van de Ven

Max Havelaar (1976)
Director: Fons Rademakers
Actors: Peter Faber, Sacha Bulthuis
Genre: Historical Drama

Soldaat van Oranje (1977)
Actors: Rutger Hauer, Jeroen Krabbe
Genre: Historical DramaHistorie

Spetters (1980)
Actors: Renée Soutendijk
Genre: drama

Ciske de Rat (1984)
Director: Guido Pieters
Actors: Danny de Munk, Willeke van Ammelrooy, Peter Faber, Linda van Dyck

Spoorloos (1988)
Director: George Sluizer
Actors: Johanna ter Steege, Gene Beervoets
Genre: Drama, great movie about a girl that gets missing from a parking in France. The movie has been redone in the US but lost most of its charme than…

Voor een Verloren Soldaat (1992)
Director: Roeland Kerbosch
Actors: Andrew Kelly, Jeroen Krabbe
Genre: 2nd World War Drama

Oorlogswinter (2008)
Director: Martin Koolhoven
Actors: Yorick van Wageningen, Melody Klaver
Genre: War Drama. One of Hollands most successful movie’s all times. Can see it on Kankan (xunlei.com/)

:bow:

MMM Dutch films. I loved Paul Verhoeven’s “De Vierde Man”.

Practically no film industry in Central America. Most of our classics come from Mexico. Anything Cantinflas or Pedro Infante or Maria Felix, I’d say.

El Ministro y yo
Su Excelencia

favorite of mine: Ahi esta el detalle

Nosotros los pobres

Diva

Lovely film! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

As an Aussie, i’d have to rate…

Gallipoli (1981) D. Peter Weir, S. Mel Gibson

Muriel’s Wedding (1994) D. P.J. Hogan, S. Toni Collette, Rachel Griffiths

Shine (1996) D. Scott Hicks, S. Geoffrey Rush

Lantana (2001) D. Ray Lawrence, S. Anthony LaPaglia, Geoffrey Rush, Barbara Hershey

Little Fish (2005) D. Rowan Woods, S. Cate Blanchett, Sam Neill, Hugo Weaving

and of course I should mention Crocodile Dundee, but only the first movie!