Nonbinary gender discussion

This is more or less what I tried to come to say before, in a less direct way. I don’t want to be temped every single time I say something…

Come on, it’s not a big ask to remember to use a non-standard pronoun when referring to someone if you’re a native English speaker. The situation is unlikely to crop up very often.

1 Like

This is already law in Canada. The U.S. is still in the early stages.

2 Likes

And there´s a lot of university bullshit gender “researchs” in the UK. Ooops, I shouldn’t have said that.

Sorry, I don’t entertain craziness.
That is my opinion. The idea of being a They and a nonbinary person is crazy. I am entitled to my opinion just as the OP is entitled to her opinion that she is not a she. It is just that, an opinion.

I see it as nonsense.

This is one common pronoun strategy. Another is to use one or another of the various gender-neutral pronouns that have been coined over the years (e.g. ze and zir). The issue of pronoun choice has attracted much media attention, and has apparently even made its way into Canadian legislation.

https://www.mercatornet.com/features/view/canadas-new-human-rights-law-use-trans-pronouns-or-else/20004

1 Like

Well said.

See you in the Temporary Forumosa.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2016/10/07/a-university-told-students-to-select-their-gender-pronouns-one-chose-his-majesty/?utm_term=.7ab8f03521ee

Seriously! You would deliberately offend someone in the name of linguistic purity?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s about linguistic purity. Think @SuiGeneris just doesn’t want to compromise reality to another persons feelings.

I personally would probably try my best to accommodate another person if they asked me. But I would probably push back if it was forced on me.

3 Likes

72 posts were split to a new topic: My reality is different to yours

“Once you label me you negate me.” Not sure if Soren Kierkegaard had non-binary people in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reQ5gmRz_Zg

I thought this was the norm when the gender of the subject/object was unspecified? Have I been learning English wrong?

Btw this is why French is such a good language. There is on and it’s perfect for situations like this.

1 Like

First, @Noniway you can see what a storm this is brewing among a group of people who probably have more exposure to the concept than most Taiwanese do, so, um, you can do the math. :idunno:

About the “pronoun laws” in Canada, this is partly a misunderstanding.

The MercatorNet article takes a quotation from the Ontario Human Rights Commission out of context, implying that it refers to non-standard pronouns like ze.

Few Canadians realize how seriously these statutes infringe upon freedom of speech. The Ontario Human Rights Commission has stated, in the context of equivalent provisions in the Ontario Human Rights Code, that “refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity … will likely be discrimination when it takes place in a social area covered by the Code, including employment, housing and services like education.”

In other words, failure to use a person’s pronoun of choice — “ze,” “zir,” “they” or any one of a multitude of other potential non-words — will land you in hot water with the commission. That, in turn, can lead to orders for correction, apology, Soviet-like “re-education,” fines and, in cases of continued non-compliance, incarceration for contempt of court. This peril is exactly what Peterson warned of in his video, for which he was mocked for scaremongering.

Repent! The end is nigh! :runaway:

This is what it actually says:

http://ohrc.on.ca/en/questions-and-answers-about-gender-identity-and-pronouns

Tl/dr:
They were talking about the illegality, in some contexts, of calling a transwoman he or a transman she. The controversy over non-binary gender and ze etc. is a more recent development.

The new law some people are so upset about says nothing directly about pronouns.

The full text is linked to in the article.

Whether or not the sky really is falling (i.e. we will all go to re-education camp for not learning the correct pronunciation of zir or hir or whatever) remains to be seen.

Oh and btw we do have a thread about this already. :slight_smile:

So it “remains to be seen” if using pronouns politically incorrectly is to be criminalized in Canada?

Got it.

I’m a binary person. I drink coffee, sometimes de-caff, I erm…

Hmmm

Whoever took the last cookie wasn’t very considerate. They didn’t even ask if anyone else wanted it. Next time, I hope he or she asks first.

Seems you are correct. However, They is being used to reference an already stated subject. In this case the subject is Whoever.

Uh oh…sounds like Abbot and Costello’s Who’s on First.

I’m impressed by the philosophical debate my original question sparked. I’ll be unfollowing this thread since I’m not really interested in your reasons for misgendering me.

Thanks everyone for thoughtful replies. Everyone else, well, go study gender I guess.

2 Likes

Does that mean you’re bicaffeinated, or just experimenting? :ponder: