Norah Jones concert in Taipei, March 14th

Original Title: Who’s gonna be at norah jones tonight?

it’s tonight!!! those of you whom i’ve met and will be there please intro me to the others!^^

Wish I could be there but it’s a school night. :s

Ran,

I’d be interested to hear your view of tonight’s show, as a musician. Apparently the production company and Nora are very fussy about getting the sound perfect for every seat in the house.

I like Nora, at one venue I worked which had her last tour in (Melbourne) the crew said it was a beautiful, but not inspiring show.

Let us know what you think,

Cheers

L :smiley:

limey,
yeah i’m gonna be listening very carefully to what’s going on as far as sound dispersion, volume,eq, things like that.
one bad thing about doing shows in taiwan is they(sound people) brand you as trouble or stuck up if you even ask a question. like some people have gotta have it in stereo cause their effects are in stereo ,ie.guitar delay with 4ths on the left side, 8ths on the right side, or ping pong delay where it’s going back and forth. that motion/ contrast in the two sides might very well be the whole hook for the song.that’s essential, not just icing. when i asked for stereo one time, i got a look like “what a big shot he is”. i imagine norah won’t come back if they jack her around. a lot of people don’t wanna come back here.

Come on then! The anticipation is killing us! How was the Nora Jones concert? PLEASE?!

It hasn’t happened yet!

It starts at 8 today (monday). We’ll let you know…

I’ll be there- should be good

When is someone good gonna come to TW?

Ran, stereo is the bane of an engineers life! so many reasons why, but the main one of course is that you only hear the effect if you’re sitting slap bang in the middle. Most large professional P.A.s are mono with a bit of tweaking to enhance the stereo effect. Imagine that if you need every seat in the house to hear a stereo sound you need to supply them with two sources, i.e. two speakers. Why it is not at all impossible the logistics, cost and audio management can be a total nightmare.

I believe all Nora’s gear has come with the show.

(Oh, I’d better keep it on topic! :blush: )

Soooo, how did it sound? Just like the CD is my feeling…

i got into the show a little late-she had already started the first song i believe, but it was great. sound was very good.i’m sick today so i don’t feel like writing much, bu let me just say that she transcended the cold weather, bad traffic that had me in a bad mood, everything. she invited everyone down to the stage for a real stand up concert. she’s as talented standing in front of a band as she is at the piano. it was one of those shows where time stands still and to heck with going home, let’s party!

Fantastic show. She has the presence and appeal to turn a basketball stadium like last night’s venue into an intimate musical experience. She made fighting the traffic and a lack of parking at the venue worth the tribulation. Felt a little like Avi in Snatch when he returns from the UK and is going through customs: “Anything to declare?” “Yeah! Don’t go to Hsinchuang!” Fortunately, Ms. Jones and her air-tight Handsome Band made it all worthwhile.

Do they still have tickets left?

:laughing: :wink: Um, yea, yea, I gotta couple I could sell ya; slightly used but still in good condition. Got a bridge, too. Good price, mista! Happy for you, happy for me. Whadaya say! :wink: :laughing:

i felt like i was seeing someone who is really gonna do more great things in music for years to come.

Let’s hope so. While I wasn’t initially fond of her second CD, it grows on me with repeated listenings.

i think she’s got a little roberta flack in her voice. and somebody else but i can’t think of who it is. that’s what i like about her. her influences have been synthesized into her on a subconscious level, not like taiwan artists who just hear something and then try to copy it. that’s what’s really called an influence.
the thing about wonderful foreign artists like norah is:the record companies here are promoting her as a foreign artist with all their effort,but if she were an english teacher here in taiwan trying to get into the business they’d be doing everything in their power to stop her and prevent her great talent from being known.

[quote=“rantheman”]I think she’s got a little roberta flack in her voice. and somebody else but I can’t think of who it is. that’s what I like about her. her influences have been synthesized into her on a subconscious level, not like taiwan artists who just hear something and then try to copy it. that’s what’s really called an influence.
the thing about wonderful foreign artists like norah is:the record companies here are promoting her as a foreign artist with all their effort,but if she were an English teacher here in Taiwan trying to get into the business they’d be doing everything in their power to stop her and prevent her great talent from being known.[/quote]
Yeah I find that interesting too. Having been a muso myself back in the 80’s (alright!) I reckon that encouraging outside talent would be like putting coals on a fire, and would ultimate lift the Taiwan scene in the process.

wanna hear my story?

by all means. Might want a start a new thread perhaps?