Northern Taiwan to Kaohsiung by scooter

My girlfriend and I are thinking of scootering from Hsinchu to Kaohsiung during Chinese New Year. Has anyone on here done this from Northern Taiwan before and could offer some advice. How are the highways down? Approximately how long does it take? Any advice of information would be appreciated.

They are good, the #3 should be fine

[quote=“sidebyside”]My girlfriend and I are thinking of scootering from Hsinchu (Xinzhu) to Kaohsiung during Chinese New Year. Has anyone on here done this from Northern Taiwan before and could offer some advice. How are the highways down? Approximately how long does it take? Any advice of information would be appreciated.[/quote]It will be a long day if you decide to do it in one day. I’d be tempted to make the journey more pleasant and comfortable by stopping somewhere on the way.

I think you’d be best taking the No.3 provincial highway down to Taichung at least, then you have a choice of continuing south on the No.3 (lots of stoplights and semi urban landscape at first, then later some really nice scenery), or changing to the No.1 provincial highway (more urban all the way but at least a couple of hours faster I’d say).

However, I don’t recommend travelling from Hsinchu to Kaoshiung by scooter on the No.3 all the way in one day, unless you and your girlfriend are considring entering the Iron Butt competition.

From Taizhong to Kaohsiung on provincial road 3 is a pretty long haul but some pretty good scenery. If you are looking to do it quicker I would take route 17, which goes right along the west coast.

I’m thinking that we will try to make it to Chiayi on the first day, if we go down Highway 1 or 3. Does this seem like a reasonable expectation? Is Route 17 a better way to go than Highway 1 or 3?

From Jiayi to Kaohsiung, I highly reccommend Taiwan Highway 3. It runs inland of Jiayi City, then through Jhongpu and Dapu, both of which are quite scenic. You’ll be on the inland side of Zengwun Reservoir before coming down through Nansi and Yujing. From Nanhua you can take a sidetrip through Moonworld, and then onto Taiwan Highway 19A for the final stint via Gangshan.

[quote=“sidebyside”]I’m thinking that we will try to make it to Jiayi on the first day, if we go down Highway 1 or 3. Does this seem like a reasonable expectation? Is Route 17 a better way to go than Highway 1 or 3?[/quote]Stopping at Jiayi sounds very sensible. And I second Steven Crook’s recommendation for the No.3 Provincial Highway south of Jiayi up to the hills and down past Zengwen reservoir. It’s really beautiful.

The only reason to do the No.17, I think, would be to save time if you were trying to do it in one day. But as you’re not, don’t bother with it.

So here’s my suggested route: No.3 provincial highway down to Taichung, then maybe the No.1 down to Jiayi. From Jiayi take the No.3 south. When I did it I went to Tainan, but I imagine you can stay in the hills for a bit longer as you’re heading further down south. I’ll check my map tomorrow.

Highway 1 would be my last choice. Heavy traffic and not much nice to look at. It’s also stop and go in a lot of places as you pass through towns.

Last time I went up north I took route 3 going up and 17 coming down. By route 3 it took me the better part of a day to reach Taizhong. I came down on route 17 in about 4 hours. I assume you’ll be returning so you might give this a try.

Tainan will be closed over CNY.

Move along…nothing to see here.

go down the west coast by the scenic routes (why do it otherwise) and then back up on the east coast

Sidebyside (named after a textbook!!!),
Are you on one scooter or two?

[quote=“almas john”]Sidebyside (named after a textbook!!!),
Are you on one scooter or two?[/quote]

well considerin how dangerous it is to ride a scooter in Taiwan. Two scooters means twice the opportunity to get a mishap.

but that said iv always wanted to ride around the island.

just do it, be safe and be careful out there, but do it :slight_smile: on one bike or two

[quote=“tommy525”]go down the west coast by the scenic routes (why do it otherwise) and then back up on the east coast[/quote]That would make sense if they were coming from Taipei, but they’re coming from Hsinchu. If they’ve got time to do the whole round trip then great, but it would be a great deal longer.

well in that case, on their return from the east coast i believe that they could take the lesser travelled northern cross island highway ( i forgot the road number, but its not number 9 , and is from taoyuan to ilan , i managed half way thru one time but was stopped by a landslide, a motorcycle couldve gotten thru tho)

If I were making the trip. I would go from Hsinchu over the E/W/ north cross road on Hiway 7 from the reservoir south of Tuchen and East of Hsinchu (Sorry, I tried to spell it but can’t - It’s the water reservoir that feeds Taiepei and surrounding area) the 7 n/s highway. Spend a night at Tadung, a small village just north of the n/s 7 and the e/w 7 (DAMN CONFUSING MAPS HERE) This is just a bed and breakfast and they have both a nice hotel and a campground. Nice folks but if you choose the campground, plan on cooking as there is no food available in town. Next day go, following your map, North and East to Suhuo, then south and spend a night at the Ocean Park in Hualien. Look on the maps. From there, go back north to Taroko. Go through the gorge and spend a night at Lishan. Hotels are cheap and even available during the new years. From there, as directions dictate, search for a road going south. Because #9 highway is still impassable, you will need to take a nerve shaking road down the mountain. It is not without redeeming value. It is actually an awesome trip. Because of all the holiday traffic, motorcycles can move in and about the cars but be forwarned, drive sober. It’s a long way down if you make a wrong move… . At the service atation at the crossroads is a map that will take you across " High Mountain Farms" and land you ultimitaley in Puli. From there, your map will suffice to get you back north on #3. All in all plan on a great journey. Take your camera. Also, DONT DRINK EVEN ONE BEER from Lishan to the bottom of the mountain. You will understand once you get there. It is straight up and down. Down in this instance is most certainly “BAD”. Enjoy. Drive carefully and if you see a bunch of Westerners along the route, it’s probably us. Stop and share a beer. But not on the Lishan to Puli trek.

[quote=“Enigma”]If I were making the trip. I would go from Hsinchu (Xinzhu) over the E/W/ north cross road on Hiway 7 from the reservoir south of Tuchen and East of Hsinchu (Xinzhu) (Sorry, I tried to spell it but can’t - It’s the water reservoir that feeds Taiepei and surrounding area) the 7 n/s highway. Spend a night at Tadung, a small village just north of the n/s 7 and the e/w 7 (DAMN CONFUSING MAPS HERE) This is just a bed and breakfast and they have both a nice hotel and a campground. Nice folks but if you choose the campground, plan on cooking as there is no food available in town. Next day go, following your map, South and East to Suhuo, then north and spend a night at the Ocean Park in Hualian. Look on the maps. From there, go back north to Taroko. Go through the gorge and spend a night at Lishan. Hotels are cheap and even available during the new years. From there, as directions dictate, search for a road going south. Because #9 highway is still impassable, you will need to take a nerve shaking road down the mountain. It is not without redeeming value. It is actually an awesome trip. Because of all the holiday traffic, motorcycles can move in and about the cars but be forwarned, drive sober. It’s a long way down if you make a wrong move . At the service atation at the crossroads is a map that will take you across " High Mountain Farms" and land you ultimitaley in Puli. From there, your map will suffice to get you back north or south on #3. All in all plan on a great journey. Take your camera. Also, DONT DRINK EVEN ONE BEER from Lishan to the bottom of the mountain. You will understand once you get there. It is straight up and down. Down in this instance is most certainly “BAD”. Enjoy. Drive carefully and if you see a bunch of Westerners along the route, it’s probably us. Stop and share a beer. Once you hit Puli, Taichung is a short hop. Enjoy the trip and go north or south as you deem appropriate. However, in the interiem, you have an experiencve that few will will ever live to enjoy.
Come meet up and we can do it together. Numerous of us are leaving Tuchen on the morning of the 16th. PM if you are interested.